Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2003, 05:46 AM   #1
Melusine
Dracolisk

OK, I don't normally ask for medical advice on forums but I'm in dubio as to whether to visit my GP over this, I keep hoping that it'll pass.
So anyway, here's the deal. My choir is giving concerts this Friday and the next, and the last few weeks have been filled with rehearsals, practise, rehearsals etc. Now I've had a sore throat off and on for about two or three months, never serious though. At first I kept waiting for it to degenerate into a full-fledged cold, but it always got a little better, then a little worse. So I didn't visit a doctor because apart from a slightly annoying "filmy" feeling over my vocal chords (like you're almost hoarse) and the sore feeling, it wasn't truly bothering me.
I guess that did put a strain on my chords after all because a week ago, on Sunday, I got this really strange feeling in my throat. I've never felt it before, even though I've had plenty of sore/inflamed throats.
When I move my tongue slightly, it feels as if there's a sharp piece of plastic or something pressing into it. Of course I don't think there's really anything lodged in my throat it's just that it feels exactly like something sharp is pressing into the back of my throat/tongue. It feels like the membrane is completely dried out there. This weekend I had an extra rehearsal (should have stayed at home) and for the last two days, not only do I feel the sharp thing, but occasionally when I start to talk, I get a cutting feeling to the back of my throat like it's slashed with a piece of glass. It's extremely nasty when it happens and I barely dare speak now.

Like I said my throat's been inflamed many times, but it's never felt like this before. I'm guessing I've just sung way too much when I had a slight cold (I don't think it's to do with technique, I know how to sing without straining things and haven't had problems in previous years), and the membranes got inflamed or dried out somehow, but I'm no expert, of course.
Attalus, Willow and maybe Hugh are though... any clues?
It goes without saying that I'm giving my voice a rest now - we have the last rehearsal tonight but I'll just listen, not sing. Friday is the first concert though. This really sucks

[ 05-19-2003, 05:49 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 05-19-2003, 10:32 AM   #2
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

well, it's either your throat has an infection, unless you have a kidney problem or something. this can lead to other things so better have it checked.

but one thing is for sure though... they will say that you need to REST. either way, whatever, REST. that is what you really, REALLY need.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:40 AM   #3
Melusine
Dracolisk

LOL Bahamut, I don't have a kidney problem and I know there's probably an infection. I also know it's most likely caused by over-use of my voice. And I've lost count of the number of times I've been ill so I know I need to rest. That's what I'm doing, I'm resting my ass off here.
I'm asking for specific advice (preferable from someone with medic knowledge or knowledge of singer's problems) about the cutting feeling at the back of my throat before I go see a doctor. Will I need antibiotics? Does anyone recognise the symptom? Again I've had plenty of inflammations of the throat but never this weird feeling of something sharp cutting into my throat.

Thanks for the help though [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2003, 11:28 AM   #4
quietman1920

Its short-term relief but... Chloroseptic spray?
Old 05-19-2003, 11:32 AM   #5
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

In the absence of our resident medics, this might be a possibility.

All the best!

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 05-19-2003, 11:46 AM   #6
Melusine
Dracolisk

Thanks Mouse, but I don't think that's it... I've read about it before. I haven't been shouting or singing out of my range or abusing my voice, just sung too much. But even so, it doesn't mention the weird pain and I'm not especially hoarse. Thanks for the good wishes [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quietman, thanks for the tip - I've no idea if they sell it over here though. What is it exactly?

Damn, this really sucks I really need to be better by Friday...

[ 05-19-2003, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 05-19-2003, 11:50 AM   #7
Epona
Zartan

Melusine, I've been thinking about this, and I have had such pain in my throat before now, I think one time it was an ordinary throat infection, and another time it was from where a fish bone that I swallowed scratched my throat and it got infected - both times it felt as if there was something cutting into my throat. Sounds like a trip to the doc could be in order.

Oh and chloroseptic is an anti-bacterial anaesthetic throat spray - gives excellent relief for short periods of time, and has helped me get through concerts when my throat's been a bit ragged.

Hope it goes soon [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2003, 11:55 AM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

Thanks Laura...

Holland really sucks med-wise, I don't think we have anything like that spray over here. When I was in Scotland I got really nauseous and my stomach ached, so my boyfriend went to the drugstore and they gave him Pepto-Bismol. It worked like a charm but we haven't got *anything* similar over here.
I'll go and check anyway though.

[ 05-19-2003, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 05-19-2003, 02:20 PM   #9
WillowIX
Apophis

Try to conserve your voice Mel. Don't whisper, that will only make things worse. Try not to talk too much. And drink plenty of hot fluids to ease your throat. On the bright side, ice-cream will also help sooth your throat.

Oh and if you haven't done so already, go see your physician. If you have tonsillitis you probably need antibiotics.

[ 05-19-2003, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 05-19-2003, 02:25 PM   #10
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

To add to Willow's excellent advice, I would recommend gargling with warm salt water (a couple of shakes in a tumbler) every four hours. This will bring down the swelling and cut the mucus. Plenty of fluids, otherwise, but no caffiene or alcohol.