Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 06-01-2002, 05:08 PM   #1
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

I've been playing Morrowind today for the first time and it crashes for no apparent reason approx every 15-20 minutes.

I looked at previous posts and saw that updated video drivers fixed 90% of this problem, I'm one of the unlucky ones as I did update the drivers and, at the same time, did a full Windows update as well. Nope, it's still crashing.

I realise that the majority of you are getting bored with queries like mine but please help. I played Arena and Daggerfall and, like most people, have waited six years for this to come out.

My system specs are:-

Windows XP Home

Athlon 2000

ASUS A7V333 board with built in sound

Geoforce 3 Ti 200

512k DDR memory

running Morrowind at 1024x768 (same as my monitor setting)

This computer is only two months old, please don't tell me it's Windows XP.

Thanks in advance.
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 05:18 PM   #2
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Same problem here but not that frequent though. I have been shoved out three time today, from er.. hehe 11 am to 10 pm.. (Yes I did take brakes for food and toilette! )

Every time I get thrown out it is because I end a dialouge with someon. Have a Win XP AMD 1700+ GeForce4 TI 4200, 512 RAM, also using 1024 resolution.

The game itself seem to have some small bus in it with dialouges but otherwise running pretty fine. But it takes it toll on the puter though, and alot of loading..

Tried a spell that kicke me out in orbit more or less, three zones of loading and then a very harsh landing

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 05:19 PM   #3
[wcip]Angel
Zhentarim Guard

I had the same problems as you, in addition; I frequently got bluescreens, which is even worse because it corrupts your quicksave..

I did 2 things

a) changed my DRAM in my BIOS from 100 too 133.

b) re-installed the game (remember to back up your savegames)..

Unless I alt+tab in and out like a maniac, it's pretty darn stable..

Hope this helps.

I have an AMD K7 Athlon 1ghz, 256MB RAM, geforce2MX..
[wcip]Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 07:17 PM   #4
vesselle
Hathor

did you update your VIA's?
and doublecheck your sound, love. you don't mention much about it.
non-Direct X 8.1 compliant drivers will wreak havoc with this game.

and as far as Betheseda has said, on board sound does NOT meet minimum specs. so if its causing a conflict, not too much can be done. besides the extreme of disabling it and installing a compliant card.

V***V

[img]graemlins/chaos.gif[/img]

PS:
HI KRULL!! Welcome to the board!!

[ 06-01-2002, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: vesselle ]
Old 06-02-2002, 09:45 AM   #5
Gormash
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have a variant of that crash.
It starts just fine, but everytime I enter the door (the first thing you do after leaving the boat at Seyda Neen) I get a kick back to desktop, no error messages.
This sometimes happens when I open the hatch to the top of the ship, but only about once every 7-9 tries.

Windows 98 SE
Pentium III 600HMz
SoundBlaster PCI 128
nVidia GeForce 256
512 MB RAM
Lots and lots of GB HDD free

I updated all drivers, and made sure they worked properly, but still no cigar! :-/

I changed to Win2000, but need to get SP2 first before I can see if it helps...
Gormash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 10:10 AM   #6
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

I too am having the same problem, but it doesn't happen constantly so I am not worrying about it. I have updated everything, turned down some effects and done just about everything I possibly could. After playing for 4 hours, I may be kicked out once or twice for no apparent reason.

I have a Compaq 1GHz AMD Athlon, 60 gig hard drive and 384 RAM, 16MB NVIDIA TNT2.
Old 06-02-2002, 10:54 AM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I had a good laugh when I finally found out what was making my games crash.

My Windows resolution was not the same as the resolution set on the game. I had to change one to be the same as the other, and then ..no more crashes to desktop!
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 03:28 PM   #8
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

Thanks for all the input. Seeing that other people have the same problems, at least I know I'm not alone.

I too have been thrown out right at the start when I've made my character. I've also been thrown out when I bought a mail cuirass and when I tried to outfit it, it crashed on me. I reloaded a couple of tiems and it crashed at the same point both times. It allowed me to outfit other armour and weapons, just not the cuirass.

Veselle, could it be on board sound? I thought it would be the video card? Also, what are VIAs? After spending all my savings on a new computer, I'm can't afford as yet to buy a sound card just for one game but we'll see.

Angel, unsure I want to change my bios, I'm not computer literate enough. Also, how does re-installing help?

Larry, I noticed a previous post that said make sure your screen resolution is the same as the game and I did just that so that's not the problem.

Today I played with it (after watching England get a disappointing draw in the World Cup - any Brits here?) but it crashed at certain intervals, the best I got was 50 minutes before it crashed.

Finally, is it worth waiting for the patch in hope it may fix something or shoild I return it to EB? At the moment I don't want to play it in it's current state, I don't have your collective patience.

Oh well, back to Wizardry 8. Thanks to everyone once again for all your help, you're the best.
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 01:31 AM   #9
vesselle
Hathor

heya krull

as far as "is it worth it to wait for the patch?" goes, only you can decide that. we don't have an ETA on the patch. nor do we know what it'll fix.
add to that a time limit on refunds for games at your game store, so only you can decide.

this game taxes most peeps systems. from the beginning, bethesda has stressed it would be full of top of the line eyecandy requiring lots of yummy-good/expensive equipment.

for the questions:

go the Asus page for your motherboard.
...in the drop down menu, choose "Socket A"
...click on "A7V333" (middle column, second from the last)
...scroll down the page, to the bottom.

here you will see the drivers needed for your particular board.
~~near the bottom are the CMedia Sound Drivers for Windows XP
~~under it is the USB driver update (get it)

download both and install them

notice that they have the Via 4-in-1's version 4.37 and while the 4-in-1's are usually for all Windoze versions, i recommend getting the latest ones at VIA.

go here for your VIA drivers [img]smile.gif[/img]
download the drivers for WinXP and read the file that comes with it for installation. these are the 4.38, which are the latest.

since you don't know about them, i will lay odds you have not upgraded them and that could be the crux of your problem, hon.

boy, i had fun doing that research! i was reminded that the VIA pages stink! they are too unorganized for this girl's brain, at least!

good luck, hon!

V***V

[img]graemlins/chaos.gif[/img]

EDIT

PS:

btw, hon..

re-installing the game can correct any corruptions that occurred with the first installation. it's always a good thing to do when you run into problems that seem to have no immediate cause.

i used to have to re-install baldur's gate 2 periodically because it would just flake out on me. [img]smile.gif[/img] haha! usually its me that's the flake!

::shrugs, smiling:: go fig!

[ 06-03-2002, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: vesselle ]
Old 06-03-2002, 02:23 AM   #10
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, one more thing..

Turn off the Antivirus scanning and other sys tray programs that messes it up! Helped abit. Also cinstatnly saving every now and then helps as well.

I have the latest drivers to everything but still gets kicked, regardless of resolution on desktop and ingame.

Hope that patch will come out soon.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote