Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-08-2001, 12:43 AM   #1
redx35
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am having alot of trouble in the tunnel with the floating eyes. First off, in the first battle, I lose Imoen; she is gone from the party, she just disapears without a trace. I don't know if this is suppose to happen or not, but it really stinks if you ask me. Second, I get killed instantly after about two battles and then I have to reload and try again. I get hit with a spell and it dosen't matter if I have all my hit-points or not, BAM, I'm dead. I guess I'll just have to start cheating to win this game.

Other than these two things, the game is awsome.

------------------
I'm gonna spread the news that if it feels this good getin used, you can keep on using me, til you use me up
Old 06-08-2001, 01:00 AM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Chances are, Imoen got turned into stone and if the stone statue is not around, then it probably has been destroyed (if it is not too late, cast stone to flesh on the statue). As for the instant-killing-you spell, it is probably Imprisonment casted by the Elder Orb (a beholder kin), to remedy this there are several ways:
1) hope you have a berserker or barbarian, then use their innate ability "enrage", it will make them ignore the effect of Imprisonment
2) cast the spell Spell Immuntiy and choose the magic school Adjuration, then the character with this effect on will ignore the Imprisonment spell.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 06-08-2001, 05:32 AM   #3
Leagle
Manshoon

They could of course be instant death spells, use spel turning/deflection. (Or items that dos so.)
Old 06-08-2001, 06:18 AM   #4
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

Also, make sure that your game options (I have forgotten the particular setting) are set to the normal mode instead of the core rules, that way you can never be permanently killed. I believe that you are also granted max HP per level. The same ones that argue that max per level is cheating are the same ones who reload the game fifteen times to get that same number, and who spend two hours rerolling their character's stats instead of just saving time with Shadowkeeper.

If that doesn't help, then you have probably been petrified, as above. Be forewarned that if Jaheira is in you party, and is petrified and then returned to normal, a romance will no longer be possible due to the way the game is coded.
Old 06-08-2001, 02:12 PM   #5
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Beholder fighting spoiler
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
Ok, I found the very easiest way to fight beholders, but you have to be a mage. Area affection spells such as cloudkill and acid cloud work WONDERS to kill beholders. Cast the spells at the edge of the room (where they can't see you) and invisible yourself. The AI in the game sucks, the beholders will just sit in the room and take damage, as long as they don't have a opponent to chase (you are invisible) they will stay there.
Same with many other foes, cloudkills and acid clouds work great for room and group fighting as long as you can invisible and hang out outside viewing range. If you are visible the computer AI can have the enemy chase you down, if you are invisible they don't have a foe to chase, so just stand there in the cloud taking damage.
Usually 2 clouds or such is plenty to clear out a room of beholders. I cleared the entire dungeon of beholders and such using only my 1 mage who was loaded up with cloud area spells and invisiblilty spells.
Cast, invisible. After cloud clears and still opponents, cast again, invisible. You won't have ANY trouble with beholders at all. Best way to kill a beholder, don't get close to it LOL. A thief/mage rocks also, casts then hides in shadows. You dont' even have to break a sweat.
Old 06-08-2001, 03:29 PM   #6
Diablo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

just use the shield of balduran, if you have the obnus merchants disc you can purchase it from diedre in adventurer's mart. it carries a pretty hefty price tag, around 20 k but it reflects all beholder rays and is a +3 shield.

------------------
What you don't know can hurt you
Old 06-09-2001, 12:12 AM   #7
redx35
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I will try these things and keep trying different combos of attacks and spells. I want to thank all of you for your help.

------------------
I'm gonna spread the news that if it feels this good getin used, you can keep on using me, til you use me up
Old 06-09-2001, 01:32 AM   #8
Ratweed
Manshoon

i found that if you assing one fighter or charecter as quicly as you can to each of the main beholders/elder orbs, not neciraly those lil guys then they will be busy with those guys make sure then have you mages with protectuin from abjuration cast and also make sure to have everyone hasted thats what i did the first time around the second time i just used the sheild of baldurin and cloak of cheating
Old 06-09-2001, 03:04 AM   #9
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

if you've got viconia, send her in first as her magic resistance helps a ton versus beholders. if not, spell reflection/turning works well. for the stoning, there's an amulet in Mekrath's lair that gives +3 to petri/poly spells. for the death spells, death ward is a cheap protectant (level 4 spell). and for when you absolutely have to kill something, potions of agility + archers + haste turns most enemies into swiss cheese.

p.s. always concentrate your attacks on one enemy, preferably the most immediately dangerous one, such as elderorb-beholder-gauth.