Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
Tyrion
Quintesson

Im planning a game right now, based on what NPC:s i want to bring along (they are NPC:s I haven't really used before).

Here it goes, starting lineup:
--------------------
Imoen (OK she's been in all of my games but I want her anyways)
Anomen (wanna romance him)
Keldorn (This guy is great)
Mazzy (NEVER used her, EVER!)
Valygar (coolest NPC)

--------------------
After underdark I want Soulafein, so I will trade him for either Mazzy or Valygar (tips?).
In ToB I will trade Keldorn for ToB-NPC.
--------------------

As for my PC I'm not sure which class/classes to pick for balance. I am thinking about a cleric/mage multi...or maybe dual...how does that sound?

I was planning to use Anomen as main self-buffing tank using the super-hammer of doom (guess). Keldorn as supporter tank and mage-disabler (as well as Anomen's mentor). Valygar as scout/backstabber/archer. Imoen as a mage and trap-lock opener. What are Mazzy's strong sides?
Old 05-28-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Your starting lineup is kind of short in three areas: Wizard, Thief, and Druid. Adding Sola will bolster your Mage skills, and you don't actually need any more Thief than Imoen, but Insect Plague is such a damn good spell that it's worth dragging a Druid along, just for that. So you might want to swap Jaheira in for Valygar, or play a (part) Druid yourself.

Mazzy is the best archer in the game (other than an actual Archer or Generic Archer, of course), and she's also the 2nd-best Tank, thanks to her ability to wear Full Plate and her awesome Halfling Warrior Saving Throws.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
. . . Insect Plague is such a damn good spell that it's worth dragging a Druid along, just for that.
ranger(9)->cleric? maybe a bit too much amo' overlap . . .

on the other hand you'll have no arcane magic 'til you get to imoen - how about a fighter/mage (or if there's some thief skills you want that imoen won't have even a F/M/T) - alternatively what about a bard (blade kit)?

[ 05-28-2007, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Armen ]
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
IronDragon
Elminster

I find having more than two mages in a party gets problematic. First I tend to forget that Sola is a mage and just use him as a fighter...and when I do remember the fights become too easy.

Six is right, you are short of thieving skills in the start of the game. Imoen maybe all the thief you need for the game…but you spend a good chunk of it without her. Don’t forget Valygar has access to Insect Plague

Might I suggest thief -> cleric.
If you go after Imoen early you can arrange to become a cleric just as you rescue Imoen.

[ 05-28-2007, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: IronDragon ]
Old 05-28-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
The "You'll be without a thief before Imoen" problem is solved by taking Yoshimo with you until you get her.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:59 PM   #6
Lord Michael
Elminster

Yoshimo is kickass until you get to Imoen. Valygar is over-rated. Minsc blows Keldorn out of the water, if only for his personality (IMHO).
If you're picking these just because you haven't used them before, well, it looks like you would balance this party out with a cleric/mage, straight mage, or (my fav....a MONK!)
Sorry had to add the monk for some fun. I do love the whole monk idea though. I'm gonna play one next time.

"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"
Lord Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:44 PM   #7
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Heh. The monk. Good times, good times...
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:51 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by IronDragon:
Don’t forget Valygar has access to Insect Plague
No, he has access to Summon Insects, which is far inferior. Single-target, allows a Save, must be cast directly on the victim, and causes only 50% Spell Failure.

Yeah, a Ranger/Cleric (however you mix it) would just render Anomen almost completely obsolete, and that's just not a nice thing to do to your Romance.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #9
Tyrion
Quintesson

Sorry for not mentioning Yoshi, but I always use him as a substitute for Imoen before getting her back... I guess I'll exchange Valygar for Sola after the big-big cave with all the nasties. Dont really care for druids (it may have to do with me not really liking people who care so much about nature and the environment...).

Other than that, Im going for the party planned with the multi-class C/M. Did a little reading about the c/m and it looks to be awesome!