Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2001, 11:20 AM   #1
Prime2U
Zhentarim Guard

Heya guys, I thought I'd post this on the forum, both for patriotism and also because it presents a fairly well known foreigner's view of us. I'm sure lots of you have seen it, but there are probably some who haven't too.

TRIBUTE TO THE UNITED STATES
This, from a Canadian newspaper, is worth sharing.
America: The Good Neighbor.
Widespread but only partial news coverage was given recently to a
remarkable editorial broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian
television commentator. What follows is the full text of his trenchant
remarks as printed in the Congressional Record:

"This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most
generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth.
Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out
of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars
and forgave other billions in debts. None of these countries is today
paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.
When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who
propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the
streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.
When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that hurries in
to help. This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes.
Nobody helped.
The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into
discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about
the decadent, warmongering Americans.
I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the
erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplane. Does any other
country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the
Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why don't they fly them?
Why do all the International lines except Russia fly American Planes?
Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the
moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You talk
about German technocracy, and you get automobiles.
You talk about American technocracy, and you find men on the moon - not
once, but several times - and safely home again.
You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store
window for everybody to look at . Even their draft-dodgers are not
pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless
they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa
at home to spend here.
When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through
age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad
and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose.
Both are still broke.
I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other
people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced
to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even
during the San Francisco earthquake.
Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned tired
of hearing them get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with
their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at
the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is
not one of those."
Stand proud, America! Wear it proudly!!

---------------
Prime
Prime2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 01:08 PM   #2
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Unfortunately, it seems that the opinion is that no amount of Thumbs up will make up for a thumb down. The world holds us to a pretty high standard it seems.
Sir Kenyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 01:13 PM   #3
Gilidarius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Wow. Kinda of puts things in perspective.

Thanks America
Gilidarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 01:29 PM   #4
Armelle

Some friend told me once that countries were like people, young ones favouring action first, old ones favouring thinking first. In a society, we need both, as action and knowledge are complementary. A society with only old people would think too much and act too little, and be too wary of change, which leads to inertia, while a society made only of young ones would suffer from lack of the wisdom obtained from years of knowledge.

Our world is that way too, with relatively new countries, like the US or Australia, and old ones like European countries, Japan, ... In a way, maybe that's one reason of misunderstanding, between, for example, old and young countries of 'the western world'.

Looking at things that way, we can see that that distinction applies to the foreign policies of both kinds of countries. European people often think that America is often acting too much, too fast, while we have been remarquable for our tendancy to do nothing many times, our minds turning in circles by fear of the consequences.

Thus, we should not debate about which point of view is the best, but instead work hands in hands and put our respective weaknesses and strengths to build a world that belongs to us all.
Old 10-12-2001, 04:19 PM   #5
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Okay, I am an American. I like living in this country and consider it to be one of the better places in the world to live.

However, the problem with the post which started this thread is that it is full of half-truths and misinformation.

For example, the claim that America helps other countries all the time and is never helped in return.

Hell, the US owes its VERY EXISTENCE as a country to foreign aid. The US would never even have succeeded in becoming an independent country except for massive aid from France in the Revolutionary war.

Sorry, but the desire to pat oneself on the back is no excuse for historical falsehood.
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 04:33 PM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Armelle:
Some friend told me once that countries were like people, young ones favouring action first, old ones favouring thinking first. In a society, we need both, as action and knowledge are complementary. A society with only old people would think too much and act too little, and be too wary of change, which leads to inertia, while a society made only of young ones would suffer from lack of the wisdom obtained from years of knowledge.

Our world is that way too, with relatively new countries, like the US or Australia, and old ones like European countries, Japan, ... In a way, maybe that's one reason of misunderstanding, between, for example, old and young countries of 'the western world'.

Looking at things that way, we can see that that distinction applies to the foreign policies of both kinds of countries. European people often think that America is often acting too much, too fast, while we have been remarquable for our tendancy to do nothing many times, our minds turning in circles by fear of the consequences.

Thus, we should not debate about which point of view is the best, but instead work hands in hands and put our respective weaknesses and strengths to build a world that belongs to us all.
Hi Armelle, great first post. Welcome to the board. Glad to see you clawed your way in here without having to look for markers. If more rain fell on the planet like posts of yours fell here we wouldn't have deserts.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 04:59 PM   #7
Prime2U
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Okay, I am an American. I like living in this country and consider it to be one of the better places in the world to live.

However, the problem with the post which started this thread is that it is full of half-truths and misinformation.

For example, the claim that America helps other countries all the time and is never helped in return.

Hell, the US owes its VERY EXISTENCE as a country to foreign aid. The US would never even have succeeded in becoming an independent country except for massive aid from France in the Revolutionary war.

Sorry, but the desire to pat oneself on the back is no excuse for historical falsehood.

I think you missed the point of this post entirely. There is nothing in the post that I wish to argue about. This is one prominent Canadian's view of things, and that's all. Don't be so eager to jump in with 'words swinging', as this is not my statement I cannot refute it nor you.

Prime
Prime2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 05:28 PM   #8
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Prime2U:

I think you missed the point of this post entirely. There is nothing in the post that I wish to argue about. This is one prominent Canadian's view of things, and that's all. Don't be so eager to jump in with 'words swinging', as this is not my statement I cannot refute it nor you.

Prime

Um, okay
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 06:36 PM   #9
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I think he was referring to more recent events anyhow. Like one's that have occurred since the invention of the automobile.

------------------
Member of ORT
Master Barbsman and weilder of the razor wit!
Official royal toad! Ribbit! Ribbet I say!

The true secret to happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!
Sir Kenyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2001, 12:04 AM   #10
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by Armelle:

Hmmm. Those are some high standard! I like!