Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #41
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead - USA has body!

Guys. Drop the petty arguments. No one of you is ever going to convince anyone to change their vote. So quit it already.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #42
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
They're saying on TV that today is the 8th anniversary of when Bush prematurely announced "Mission Accomplished". How ironic.
Or one could say he was talking about the carrier he was on at the time.

Glad we got OBL.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #43
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Sources tell ABC News that in March President Obama authorized the development of a plan for the U.S. to bomb Osama bin Laden’s Abbottabad compound with two B2 stealth bombers dropping a few dozen 2,000-pound JDAMs (Joint Direct Attack Munitions) on the compound.

But when the president heard the compound would be reduced to rubble he chose not to pursue that option.
I had heard that the reason the bombing approach was not chosen was that there was a good chance there wouldn't be a body to identify if it were successful. No mention of the potential damage to the compound was indicated.

That said, this quote (attributed to Mark Twain) seems very apropos:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #44
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I like what Panch Villa said: "I have never regretted killing a man, but I have often regretted not killing one.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #45
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Or General Patton: "You don't win a war by dying for your country. You make the other bastard die for his..."

Bacon sandwiches all around!!!

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #46
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
I acknowledge that our military and intelligence sources accomplished a great victory for our country.

I also acknowledge the President will get the bulk of the credit, even though he had very little to actually do with the success of the operation. That's one of the perks of the job.

Not starting a political argument. Just stating a fact.
Well it's either an incorrect or incomplete fact. As Rush Limbaugh described on his radio show, Obama was presented with several missions that involved various ways to "nuke" the target and lay waste to the compound. It was his own plan to insist on putting boots on the ground and send in SEAL Team 6. He wanted the DNA, he wanted the proof. If Rush can give credit, I'd think you could.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #47
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellard View Post
Good points Felix - There will be great pressure to reveal the names, faces and details of the 'team' that did the deed and I hope they resist. And good advice to heed the warnings too.

but in the mean time ...... lets party

There is no way they will reveal any names or faces of the team. It will not happen. I'm assuming it was United States Naval Special Warfare Development Group that did this. Thats the Navy version of Delta.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #48
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
Well it's either an incorrect or incomplete fact. As Rush Limbaugh described on his radio show, Obama was presented with several missions that involved various ways to "nuke" the target and lay waste to the compound. It was his own plan to insist on putting boots on the ground and send in SEAL Team 6. He wanted the DNA, he wanted the proof. If Rush can give credit, I'd think you could.
He chose the operation and authorized it. I give him credit for doing that. I also give him credit for telling he CIA Director to keep the pursuit of bin Laden as his #1 priority shortly after taking office.

The actual success of the mission, however, goes to those that were on the ground and the ones that gathered the intelligence that made the mission possible in the first place.

I was going to suggest to people go back and re-read my first post, especially since Wellard was kind enough to re-post it for everyone (thanks, Wellard ). If you do that, you will see that I did not criticize Obama in any way, I just didn't give him full credit for the success of the mission. I didn't even suggest Obama was taking full credit, just that others were doing so.

I realize there are some who consider anything less than 100% sycophantic support of Obama to be the same as criticism, but there's not much I can do about that.

I finally got to watch Obama's full speech this morning. Overall, I felt he gave an excellent speech - probably the best of his career, in fact. Some folks (in discussions on other forums I visit) felt he put a little too much emphasis on "I" did thus and such at the beginning of he speech, but he wasn't taking credit for anything he didn't do and some of the points were things ONLY he could have done (like given final authorization for the operation). Some of the other points were things I considered to be part of his job; meeting with his staff members regularly and staying on top of the situation. But this IS an epic victory for him no matter how you look at it and will likely serve to cement his standing as the most historic President in modern times. It will also probably cement his victory in 2012 as well. So, I can't blame him for crowing just a little bit. I do think he deserves that much.

Oh....I also give him credit for timing his speech to "coincidentally" pre-empt the last 15 minutes of The Apprentice. Now that is the kind of Executive Decision I can appreciate.

As I said before, I give Obama the credit he deserves for the mission, I just don't give him all the credit. And he did the same thing - giving proper credit where it was due.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #49
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Alcohol View Post
There is no way they will reveal any names or faces of the team. It will not happen. I'm assuming it was United States Naval Special Warfare Development Group that did this. Thats the Navy version of Delta.
Agree.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #50
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead - USA has body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
He chose the operation and authorized it. I give him credit for doing that. I also give him credit for telling he CIA Director to keep the pursuit of bin Laden as his #1 priority shortly after taking office.

The actual success of the mission, however, goes to those that were on the ground and the ones that gathered the intelligence that made the mission possible in the first place.

I was going to suggest to people go back and re-read my first post, especially since Wellard was kind enough to re-post it for everyone (thanks, Wellard ). If you do that, you will see that I did not criticize Obama in any way, I just didn't give him full credit for the success of the mission. I didn't even suggest Obama was taking full credit, just that others were doing so.

I realize there are some who consider anything less than 100% sycophantic support of Obama to be the same as criticism, but there's not much I can do about that.

I finally got to watch Obama's full speech this morning. Overall, I felt he gave an excellent speech - probably the best of his career, in fact. Some folks (in discussions on other forums I visit) felt he put a little too much emphasis on "I" did thus and such at the beginning of he speech, but he wasn't taking credit for anything he didn't do and some of the points were things ONLY he could have done (like given final authorization for the operation). Some of the other points were things I considered to be part of his job; meeting with his staff members regularly and staying on top of the situation. But this IS an epic victory for him no matter how you look at it and will likely serve to cement his standing as the most historic President in modern times. It will also probably cement his victory in 2012 as well. So, I can't blame him for crowing just a little bit. I do think he deserves that much.

Oh....I also give him credit for timing his speech to "coincidentally" pre-empt the last 15 minutes of The Apprentice. Now that is the kind of Executive Decision I can appreciate.

As I said before, I give Obama the credit he deserves for the mission, I just don't give him all the credit. And he did the same thing - giving proper credit where it was due.
Long story short, Obama won.

How did you not see the speech? It was on every channel as we were discussing it last night, not to mention all over the interwebs.