Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Most of you must have guessed by now, but I haven't been online in a while.

I tried to keep playing because I like meeting my friends ingame, but I just couldn't have fun with the game anymore. It's to the point that I don't even like trying out new contect. The last time I tried something new was Blackwind Lair in patch 1.6. I didn't try anything else since then. Dragons, Silithus, it's all the same thing. When you're not farming for reputation you're farming for item pieces, or mobs in an instance.

The pre endgame is different and more interesting, but knowing what my low level characters have to expect once they reach 60, I can't manage to have any fun with them either.

Raiding high end instances drained all the fun and enjoyment I had in this game. I will be back to try the expension, but after 200+ hours raiding for epics, I don't think I'll ever really be able to enjoy an item based or raiding mmorpg ever again.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

How about quit for good, like me?

There's nothing much to do in WOW anyway except for raiding, farming, raiding, farming, raiding, farming and killing stupid hordes who dare tagged themselves.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:07 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I too, took many breaks from this game due to boredom. The raiding end of the game sux, period. It will kill your love for the game after awhile. The only thing that keeps me playing is PvP atm. I can't be bothered to level my new chars to 60 since I know everything there is to know and each quest is an excuse to make you go out into the timesink and grind more. When you play as long as we have, we can't really expect to relive the 'magic' with every char we roll and I am well aware of this. I miss that magic personally and I fondly remember the sense of wonder I had when playing my first character, a feeling that stayed around all the way to 60.

WoW is an experience - a great one at that but all experiences get old when repeated, and we're pushed to look for new ones. In our cases, there is nothing new to do so we need to look to other games. I am still playing WoW atm, but casually and usually I am either PvPing, exploring or helping guildies. Honestly, an hour or more of PvE and I'm bored, even when I am helping people with quests or instances. In a way I am burnt-out also.

Sadly, WoW has probably got the most MMO's have to offer atm. I am just waiting really, for something new to come along and will probably immerse myself in Oblivion or some other offline game with tons of single-player content when I get my hands on one.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
SecretMaster
Apophis

I find WoW boring and Blizzard to be the most shady gaming company out there.

Bethesda and the ES series is my beacon of light.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:11 AM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, I reached level 60 like 2 days ago and I'm already seeing how it can get boring. I don't really even want to farm for my epic mount or quest for my Ritual of Doom spell.

I'm in a real fix because I've already completed over half my shopping list for items I want up to MC (hat, chest, gloves, boots, leggings, shoulders all set to what I want), but I'm not in a guild that's going to be raiding MC anytime soon. And even though I've only been in each between 2 and 8 times, I can tell you there's only so much Strat/Scholo/UBRS a guy can handle.

I'll try ZG for the first time tonight and see how I like it.

But, I'm definately at a point of diminishing returns, and as you say the wonder of WOW is over. I did just recently get on Teamspeak, so I'm getting to know guildies in a much better way. That I like. But I already have a core group of RL friends who play, and we gather at one of our houses and play there on Friday nights, so the whole team/voice thing's not new to me either.

I would have been baffled if you guys who have been 60 since I started weren't fed up by now.

I have little patience for repeat experiences. I played the best game ever, BGII, all the way through exactly once. Same with BG1. I went back and dabbled again with both games, but thruth be told I'm not a repeat experience kind of guy.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

GUILD WARS RULES. Still going and still growing
strong and soon to have a second expansion and stand
alone game.

Like SecretMaster I too am waiting for ES IV
Oblivion but will still be playing Guild Wars.

After Beta testing DDO (worst D&D game since Pool
of Radiance PC) So my MMORPG is Guild Wars and for
single player RPG ES IV Oblivion. and the wait for
NWN 2 and Biowares Dragon Age.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well I gave GW up after two weeks...lol. I guess the casual aspect has re-play value though.

I am currently playing the PC version of Fable, never played the console one and was pleasantly surprised by this one so kept playing, lol.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:10 PM   #8
Glycerine_74
Dungeon Master

Essentially, that's really all WoW's end game will ever be: farming for items. Either you are PvP'ing to get that new item, or raiding Molten Core to get that new item, or farming reputation to get that new item, or farming mobs to get that new item, etc. That's pretty much what turned me off and burned me out. I haven't played my Priest much at all since I've gotten him to 60, but it is occasionally fun to do some of the end game instances like Scholomance, UBRS, etc. But in the end, it all boils down to the same thing: farming for items in one way or another. It's pretty sad that the 1-59 game can be so engaging and engrossing, then it all just falls apart when you hit 60.

Glycerine
Glycerine_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:10 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Agreed but in WoW's defense, bear in mind that few MMO's even have an endgame (edit). At least at 60 you can go about a new routine for a time until you get bored with the high-lvl content. In other games there is nothing to do but log off or reroll.

Like I said I am bored with the PvE and endgame currently, but I do not forget what WoW offered me or the fact that it had more to offer me than any MMO I had played previously. I have been playing over a year, that is a record for me with an online game. I don't fault the game at all really and still have it on my top list of 'must plays'.

[ 03-01-2006, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 03-01-2006, 04:31 PM   #10
Glycerine_74
Dungeon Master

Don't get me wrong; I still think it's the best MMO out there. I just wish they could come up with some other hook then getting the "Uber Godly Epic Artifact of Superior Leetness".

I never could understand why there were always so many high level characters standing around in the main cities, doing nothing. After I made 60, it hit me. Either they are waiting to get a in group for some dungeon/battleground, or they are doing it so they can show off all their cool "stuff" to all the "lowbies". Trouble is it's too easy to get the good stuff and most every other 60 already has it too. It really doesn't take that much skill, just time invested. (Especially PvP) Hell, I've even had level 60s follow my low level Alliance rogue around practically screaming, "Look at me! Look at all cool stuff! DAMMIT LOOK AT MY EPIC MOUNT!" It just loses it's luster when you see 30 other characters with damn near the exact same gear and know that it's not about skill, but merely time. These days, when I see someone decked out in epics I just yawn and keep going. It reminds me that they didn't get that stuff because of any skill or personal ability, just sitting in front of their computer night after night after night. Oh well, such is the bane of all MMOs I guess.

Glycerine

[ 03-01-2006, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Glycerine_74 ]
Glycerine_74 is offline   Reply With Quote