Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 02-06-2003, 05:31 PM   #1
Brennihelvete

Is there any character creation guides on the web? Im quite new to the 3rd edition of the AD&D rules and is a little overwhelmed by all the new features and such. Also is there any spellguides or skillguides that tells you of what spells/skills thats useless and whatnot...?

Any help apriciated..
Old 02-06-2003, 08:56 PM   #2
Dmouse
Dungeon Master

Basically, you will have to look at the AD&D rules for spells and skills. I mean your basic spells and skills would be explained there. If you dont want to buy the book , then probably buying BG1 or BG2 or even Ice Windale would give you an idea of what kinda of spells and skills are needed. In those games , they have a small sub section explaning each spell and skill. Also the manuals that comes along with the game does give you a bit of an insight.
Dmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 10:57 PM   #3
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The NWN manual actually does a pretty good job of explaining all the feats and skills, and has a fairly good description of the spells in the game. If you are looking for something more generic for 3E rules in general, you might try checking out the d20 content site.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 10:46 AM   #4
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

I am a fan of the "guides" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
In this case not only does it help you when you are stuck but it also gives another persons view on which classes and stats are good. You might want to go to your local game or book store and just flip through.
Granamere
BTW the only reason I used the amazon link was to show the guide I was talking about. Although that is not the cover I have on mine.
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 12:31 PM   #5
Brennihelvete

Im not looking for descriptions as I do have the manual ya know [img]smile.gif[/img] . What im looking for is a guide that tells or reccomends what skills thats good and whatnot. I've played trough Baldurs Gate II and Throne of bhaal and I know how the game works out. I know the basics in other words, Im looking for the advanced stuff like in BGII there was a huge amount of spells, and only a small amount of them was useful. Just wondered if theres any guides out there that evaluates skills/spells/abilites and so on...
Old 02-07-2003, 02:10 PM   #6
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Well, there is a "Recommended"-button in the skills and feats-sections... Other than that, I just suggest you read the description of every feat and skill and see which appeal you the most.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 02:40 PM   #7
Micah Foehammer

Brenn, sorry - my bad. Actually, I don't know of any specific guides that evaluate the skills or feats. Most of them are actually VERY useful - some are underpowered however. Here's my take on the skills:

Extremely useful: Concentration, disable trap, open lock, set trap, lore (saves your cash for really important stuff), discipline (for fighters), heal, search, use magic device, perform

Useful: Spot, Listen, Spellcraft, Persuade, move silently, Animal empathy (but only for high level characters as the duration is tied to level), Hide, parry

Barely useful: pickpocket, taunt

I won't bother with ALL of the feats, but some of my favorites are:

weapon finesse - (great for a rogue or a high dex, dual wielding character!, or a mage/sorceror)

improved critical - try this in conjunction with a KEEN weapon and become a walking Cuisinart!

Toughness - this is equivalent to getting two free con points - a must for mages

Iron will / lightning reflexes / great fortitude - equivalent to getting 4 additional points in wisdom, dexterity and constitution for the purposes of saving throws only

Point blank / Rapid shot - great combination for archers

Ambidexterity / two-weapon fighting - everyone loves this one. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Feats I rarely use: Alertness and Skill Focus - they just don't seem worth it with all of other options

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 02-07-2003, 02:59 PM   #8
Brennihelvete

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
Well, there is a "Recommended"-button in the skills and feats-sections... Other than that, I just suggest you read the description of every feat and skill and see which appeal you the most.
I know, but I dont trust that one. I got a sorceror with 8 int and the game reccomended me to put lots of points into spellcraft which is int based. Some points got wasted there.

Quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
Brenn, sorry - my bad. Actually, I don't know of any specific guides that evaluate the skills or feats. Most of them are actually VERY useful - some are underpowered however. Here's my take on the skills:

Extremely useful: Concentration, disable trap, open lock, set trap, lore (saves your cash for really important stuff), discipline (for fighters), heal, search, use magic device, perform

Useful: Spot, Listen, Spellcraft, Persuade, move silently, Animal empathy (but only for high level characters as the duration is tied to level), Hide, parry

Barely useful: pickpocket, taunt

I won't bother with ALL of the feats, but some of my favorites are:

weapon finesse - (great for a rogue or a high dex, dual wielding character!, or a mage/sorceror)

improved critical - try this in conjunction with a KEEN weapon and become a walking Cuisinart!

Toughness - this is equivalent to getting two free con points - a must for mages

Iron will / lightning reflexes / great fortitude - equivalent to getting 4 additional points in wisdom, dexterity and constitution for the purposes of saving throws only

Point blank / Rapid shot - great combination for archers

Ambidexterity / two-weapon fighting - everyone loves this one.

Feats I rarely use: Alertness and Skill Focus - they just don't seem worth it with all of other options
Thanks, that did indeed help alot [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2003, 03:59 PM   #9
Micah Foehammer

Brenn,

Some of the meta-magic feats are also VERY useful for mages. [img]smile.gif[/img] It's difficult to tell you what feats you might want to consider until you decide on a character class. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-07-2003, 08:01 PM   #10
Brennihelvete

Yeah I noticed. Already love the enpowered Magic missile [img]smile.gif[/img] Still more skills to try out...thx for da help