Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 07:04 AM   #1
Mr Creosote
The Magister

I've pretty much done W&W to death, also Wizardry 8.
I'm wondering if there is another RPG worth playing at the mom, and that is OUT!

I'll give anything a go.

Thx.
Mr Creosote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:38 PM   #2
plenty
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Try old ones, like wizardry 7, bards tale 1&2&3, dungen master and chaos srtikes back (now both avalible in "return to chaos" conversion), eye of the beholder 1&2&3, baldur's gate 1&2, fallout 1&2, anvil of dawn, adom, might & magic (1 to 6),"Mordor" and "Demise" (if u like hack&slash), Icewind Dale, Tower of Souls...

Hey people - help me - what more?
Old 01-08-2005, 12:46 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Have you played Dungeon Siege??

I've put in my preorder for Dungeon Lords which I hope won't be delayed further.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 05:43 AM   #4
Mr Creosote
The Magister

I'm a big fan of Wiz 7, but can no longer get it working. Didnt know Eye of the Beholder was still around, I'd give that another go if I could find a copy and get it running. I fired up M&M 7 and 8 the other day, boy have those graphics dated, but still reasonable games.

I'm losing faith that we'll ever see Dungeon Lords, but I live in hope. I read a thread somewhere on their site that the combat will be more like an Xbox game, jumping, spinning doing all sorts of clever moves. Has me worried!

No, havent played Dungeon Siege Wyvern, worth a try?
Mr Creosote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:37 AM   #5
Pop 'n Fresh
Manshoon

I lost interest at the halfway point where i was in the swamps outside the goblin stronghold. There is a wide selection of creatures to fight and there are alot of quests and u do control 8 ( i think it's 8 ) characters and u can do some optional quests but sometimes u get nothing from it. The thing is you get a main quest and you fight the monsters to get to where it is then you get another quest and fight the monsters to get to that place then you get another .......

IMPORTANT!!!!!!! If u do end up buying Dungeon Siege buy Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna as that comes with the original as well as the expansion so u dont need to pay for both.

So to be quick it's all
walk a bit
fight a bit
walk a bit
fight a bit
walk a bit
talk a bit
walk a bit
fight a bit.

Sry for the length of this.

P.S. Diablo 2 Lod ( Lord of Destruction ) on Battle.net ( multiplayer ) is very fun as well

[ 01-17-2005, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: Pop 'n Fresh ]
[img]\"http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/5936/sbadfurday00037fg.png\" alt=\" - \" /><br />BRING ME SOME SWEETCORN!<br /><br />What do the Enterprise and toilet paper have in common? They both circle Uranus in search of klingons
Pop 'n Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:51 AM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Creosote:
I'm a big fan of Wiz 7, but can no longer get it working. Didnt know Eye of the Beholder was still around, I'd give that another go if I could find a copy and get it running. I fired up M&M 7 and 8 the other day, boy have those graphics dated, but still reasonable games.

I'm losing faith that we'll ever see Dungeon Lords, but I live in hope. I read a thread somewhere on their site that the combat will be more like an Xbox game, jumping, spinning doing all sorts of clever moves. Has me worried!

No, havent played Dungeon Siege Wyvern, worth a try?
Dungeon Siege isn't bad and it isn't great either although the environment is pretty nifty viewing. I never actually finished the game though I did get pretty far into it - then I restarted doing multiplayer with my husband and we changed our network and weren't able to get it to work (it might now, we just haven't tried).

The real problem is that there are few good CRPGs around - there are more that fall into the category of being part rpg and part shooter but it's not like the old days when there were almost always a few decent CRPGs from which to choose.

I've got DL preordered - I'm not sure how well I am going to like it since it isn't "party" based and I do enjoy parties but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Darkstone was pretty good, as I recall. Not sure I ever survived the final battle though I tried and tried! lol!!
Old 01-24-2005, 02:08 PM   #7
BRO,JD
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I sure wish more party-based games like Wizardry, Might & Magic, and of course Wizards & Warriors were being produced. I'm afraid that our brand of gaming has gone been replaced by FPS and online RPGs.
BRO,JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:50 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'm with you. I'm playing Baldur's Gate right now, and while it's not *completely* party based (since you only fully develop one character), it is less of an FPS. I think the thing for online RPGs is to have folks to play with... which, once I get myself moving forward with NWN, will probably happen for me.

Sadly, there aren't enough of us "real" gamers around to make it profitable. They have to appeal to enough people to make a profit [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 06:09 PM   #9
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
I'm with you. I'm playing Baldur's Gate right now, and while it's not *completely* party based (since you only fully develop one character), it is less of an FPS. I think the thing for online RPGs is to have folks to play with... which, once I get myself moving forward with NWN, will probably happen for me.

Sadly, there aren't enough of us "real" gamers around to make it profitable. They have to appeal to enough people to make a profit [img]smile.gif[/img]
So what do you think happened to the market over the years??

Ages ago there were always a lot of CRPGs on the market and now they are far and few between. It can't just be the development time - there was a long gap between Doom 2 and Doom3 (okay - and lots of Doom clones to keep fans happy inbetween).

Not that I have a lot of time to play games but it's disappointing to go to Best Buy with my husband and my son and not find anything that even looks remotely interesting.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:15 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

My thoughts? Well, I think that technology bit us big time.

In days gone by, pen and paper (P&P) gaming was the only real option out there. It required you to use lots of imagination, and to be creative (as both a player and a DM). Many of the folks "with a life" didn't do gaming, primarily because of the time investment (to learn the rules, develop a character, and live to see them grow to something useful).

Enter the computer, with things like Scott Adams games (remember GO NORTH?). Now someone else could be the DM (so to speak), and the cumbersome bits were automated. Still required imagination, though, and creative problem solving.

The next level was CRPG... Bard's Tale, Might and Magic, Ultima, Wizardry.... the good old days. You had graphics (okay, 8-bit), quests, puzzles that couldn't necessarily be solved in the game (Og's Queen to Queen's Level Five in MM1), character development... all the things you did in P&P without the drudgery and erasing the paper over and over again.

Then computers got better. Faster, so they could do more. Better graphics, so you weren't just an icon on the screen. Sound, so you could talk, listen, and develop more personality in your characters.

That's where the problems started up. Being in the software world, I can tell you that developing a tool that works on six different versions of Windows, using all the cool things of the latest version without breaking the first version, is more than a wee bit difficult. You got into compatibility issues between OS levels, video card drivers, sound drivers... and let's not bring up DirectX. Developing something that everyone could use was very expensive, and time-consuming to support as well.

Enter the SNES, Gameboy, PS and PS2, XBox... what they bring to the mix is a common hardware platform. You only have to develop it once. Talk about a cost-savings!

Unfortunately, tastes also changed. The average gamer (who liked, I believe, to tinker with games and computers, and likes to frequent this board) remained the same, but the rest of the population grew. The success of Myst brought the rest of the world into our fantasy world, only it didn't require the imagination. You didn't have to create another persona... you just went. Companies realized that *that* was where the big bucks were, and they started tailoring games to them.

Now it's eye-candy, action, scripted plot lines (even BG and W&W, for that matter), and the imagination element is greatly reduced. I guess there's no profit in letting people imagine, only in sharing yours with them.

BTW, don't think I'm anti-company, 'cause I'm a very staunch pro-capitalist. Sell what people buy, and enjoy the results.

I think part of the issue is that when the first games started long ago, they had good DMs -- people who could create stories and take you to new lands. I remember figuring out the magic square puzzle in MM1, and the thrill of "Dragon Town Meeting... Disrupt? (Y/N)" I don't know that the same number of game-creating DMs exist today. DW Bradley is one... Jon Van Caneghem (M&M) is another. But how many others are there?

I think the worst thing is the loss of imagination. The latter MM games showed this -- too many errand quests so it wouldn't be too hard. "Get a lock of hair from the hag's hairbrush. She's in a cave just outside town, and her hairbrush is on the floor". Puh-lease! I much prefer the MM6 approach: "There's no temple there. Find the temple bowl. Then find a carpenter and stonecutter to build it, then come back to me." True, on one hand it's an errand, but you had to fight to get the bowl, and then give up your current hirelings to build it. There was sacrifice involved at some level, and you couldn't use the temple until you completed it.

That's what I miss, and what I hope is in DL. Sadly, too few others appreciate what makes a good game... a good story that gives you flexibility.

Hmmm... didn't realize I was going to ramble this long. Perhaps it's an issue I care a lot more about than I thought. Any other thoughts out there? And I realized I skipped the "gold-box" games... they're in there after the early four and before the eye candy.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote