Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-11-2001, 01:05 PM   #21
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I would help you but I cant even get my computer case open cause im afraid I might break it.

------------------
Welcome to hell.
Old 05-11-2001, 02:02 PM   #22
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Row Firecam,

Go to Dos. First you have to FDISK it and set up a primary dos partition. Make it the max allowable size. then format it. As far as copying windows over, that won't work unless you have a program like Norton Ghost or something. You need a mirroring program to make an exact duplicate of your hd. There are lots of hidden and system files that won't copy. You will also have the wrong format on the disk. You need to format your new HD as a system disk to even have a chance.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about windows recognizing it or anything, and just start from scratch. Set your new hd up as the pri master, and the old one with windows as pri slave. Boot with a boot disk, and fdisk and format your new hd. install windows on your new hd. Then copy over files you need from your old hd to your new and then format your old hd.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)
Old 05-11-2001, 02:43 PM   #23
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Row.

If you haven't started experimenting with the DOS commands or repartioning, try going to the HD manufacturer's website. They usually have utilites that make the process easy. Most have an install utility that will Format and Paretition the HD, and copy a mirror to your new one.

What make / model drive are you using?

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Pfil

[This message has been edited by RudeDawg (edited 05-11-2001).]
Old 05-11-2001, 03:04 PM   #24
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

This, my friends, is why I have friends in the Technologies. Just reading this gave me a headache.

BK

------------------

The Black Storm Cloud of the Night
Consort to a Queen
Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way
Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Offical Wizard and Warrior Questioner
What is this, the Spanish Inquisition?
Old 05-11-2001, 04:54 PM   #25
Row Firecam
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight:
This, my friends, is why I have friends in the Technologies. Just reading this gave me a headache.

BK

I am so unlucky that I am the guy all my friends call when their computers go kaput... scary isn't it?

But well I must have screwed up royally here because now, the HD has completely disapeared even from the bios. The scary thing is that I noticed a small scratch on one of the chips on the harddrive...that doesn't ruin it does it?
I'll take it back to the dealer and ask him to install it tomorrow. This is way over my head...

------------------

Keldorn's Younger brother
Old 05-11-2001, 04:59 PM   #26
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

It really shouldn't be that bad my friend. Just go back to where you were when it was working. Take your old hard drive out entirely and try to get your machine working with just your new one, then add the old one later. As long as your jumpers are set correctly, and your bios is set to autodetect, it should be recognized. If it is recognized, then it is a simple matter of running fdisk to partition, then formatting it to have it up and running. I can give you as much detail as you need if you have questions about any part of it.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)
Old 05-11-2001, 04:59 PM   #27
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Row Firecam:
But well I must have screwed up royally here because now, the HD has completely disapeared even from the bios. The scary thing is that I noticed a small scratch on one of the chips on the harddrive...that doesn't ruin it does it?
Row, What is the Manufacturer, and Model number?

I can probably get you a self-running utiliy....

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Pfil
Old 05-11-2001, 05:05 PM   #28
Row Firecam
Dungeon Master

Its from IBM and the Model is DTLA-305020, I tried searching their site for it but found nothing. But now I'm going to do as Milamber suggested... and see if it work, see you guys later.