Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-09-2001, 03:44 PM   #1
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

I've played BG2 several times, then
just for kicks, I tried to go back
and play BG1 again. I found that it is
just not the same, and I grew bored.
Now, I am back playing BG2 again!!
Is it just me, or is BG2 just that
much better?
Old 10-09-2001, 03:58 PM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I have reverted back to BG1, until I am able to convince myself I have constructed a well-made character. BOY has it been a long time since I've played BG2.. I would agree with you if you do not have TotSC or DSotSC installed, but if you do, then it is worth playing.
Old 10-09-2001, 04:06 PM   #3
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzy Animal:
I've played BG2 several times, then
just for kicks, I tried to go back
and play BG1 again. I found that it is
just not the same, and I grew bored.
Now, I am back playing BG2 again!!
Is it just me, or is BG2 just that
much better?
I have to agree I tried to go back but found it very hard to play it. It is sooo much slower. Kinda funny the first time I played I could not get enough of it.
Old 10-09-2001, 04:09 PM   #4
Guiseppe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have just reinstalled BG1 which I borrowed from my brother.

2 years ago I finished BGI with a few cheats (shame!)
Last year I first finished BGII, then started over in BGII, then bought ToB, started in ToB while my party in BGII was only at chapter 3. Didn't feel right, the party in BGII wasn't any good, so I had to start over. Instead I installed BGI.

Now I've just begun a completely new game in BGI (with TotSC) and I am planning to take this party all the way through to ToB and finish with it. without cheats!

I don't have any feelings of boredom in BGI, just a lot of good memories. I also like to explore the maps and I love the random encounters. Here's my party (al about level 2 to 3 now)

Me - Cleric (never played a cleric before)
Khalid
Jaheira
Branwen
Imoen
Edwin (never had Edwin before, but he is a mage with 18 INT so..)

All in all: I love BGI !!!
(and BGII and ToB and Torment and Icewind Dale....)
Old 10-09-2001, 05:39 PM   #5
StarVid
Elminster

I only play BG1 now, though not by choice. I just moved here and I packed BG2 (along with all the other games I regularly play) in a box I won't be getting for a while. And it sucks because I didn't even get past Ch.3 before I moved. You're right though, BG1 gets kinda boring. Now I'm playing with parties that I plan to take to BG2. I got a crazy theory about party setup that goes a little something like this. You start out in the prison of BG2 with Jah, Minsc, and Imoen. Futhermore, in the prison, one of them comments something about y'all having been adventuring together since the incidents in BG1. That would mean that your party from BG1 would have to have been Minsc, Dynaheir, Jaheira, Khalid, Imoen, and yourself. The only sucky thing about this is that unless you're a cleric, you don't get any silence or animate dead spell (which were the only saving graces for a cleric). Dyn and Khalid is dead, so for BG2 I'm aiming to have my party be Minsc, Jah, Imoen (when I get her back), Me (wild mage), either Vic or Anomen (preferably Vic because she fits into the story better, but I'm worried her evil would clash with my good party), and Jan (the only decent thieves in BG2 are Jan and Yoshimo). Granted, it's a pretty nuts, but I just moved here, have no cable, no vid games, and had to find some way to make this game interesting again.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:58 PM   #6
Nanobyte

Again, I would like to point out that unless you have TotSC and DSotSC, the game IS boring. Try installing those two games, and you'll find that Durlag's Tower and Werewolf Island actually last longer than any other quest in BG2.
Old 10-09-2001, 09:18 PM   #7
andrewas
Harper

Just coincidentaly StarVid just listed my exact BG1 party. if you look at where you meet all those characters there pretty inevitable for a good party if you play like me and tend to pick up some NPCs and stick with them.

I still play BG1 every now and then - so i have one question. just what exactly is DsotSC? i have TotSC, and finished it. but ive never even heard of the other one. given PCGs enthusiasm for all things BG its inconcievable it could ever have been released in this country without me hearing about it. what is it? unofficial,or america only or something?

Old 10-09-2001, 09:23 PM   #8
Nanobyte

Dark Side of the Sword Coast. Unofficial expansion made by TeamBG. You can download it, and then use the Installer to install it.

[This message has been edited by Nanobyte (edited 10-09-2001).]
Old 10-09-2001, 11:40 PM   #9
StarVid
Elminster

it's more than just what NPCs you pick up, to me. I took Imoen because she followed my PC out of Candlekeep and I was a good character so it's not like I'd ditch her. Besides, she was an old friend. Khalid and Jah are old friends of Gorion, so they fit in there. Minsc is the only one who doesn't really fit. I mean, you find him just hanging out in some town like any other NPC. But I suppose with his great personality, they had to bring him back. Personally, I would have thought it better if the last two slots had been filled with characters more a part of the PCs life. But Minsc is a pretty funny guy so I'm letting it slide.