Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 10-09-2001, 12:08 AM   #1
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

Just curious.. I'm still working through SoA with my new monk-led party (at level 15 right now), but I'm wondering if the highest that the monks fists can ever be considered is as a +3 weapon? Do they ever become +4 or higher? I'm thinking if they stay +3 that the monk will be a serious liability against some of the tougher ToB enemies (Demagorgon springs to mind). Any info?

One other question: anyone know what level monks start gaining high-level abilities?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 02:36 AM   #2
bygones01
Dungeon Master

at level 25 the monk gains +4 fists... but that's it, it don't go no higher.. and he starts getting his quest/pool abilities at level 20. if you want more info just look in yer instruction book, dude. if you don't have one lemme know...
bygones01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 02:59 AM   #3
Prime2U
Zhentarim Guard

He can get to +4 on his own....
But you can also get the gauntlets of crushing, which are +4 to hit and damage when attacking with fists. add the two together....ummm nope no liability.
Prime2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 04:41 AM   #4
Big Red
Dungeon Master

Obviously all classes are slightly different.

My monk started SoA with STR/DEX/CON of 18/18/18.
He's now level 30 part way into ToB, STR/DEX/CON of 22/19/21, MR of 83% with no extra equipment. Give him a nice ring, amulet and cloak and MR is now 103%, all saves are 1 or lower (but obviously, nice stuff improves everyone).

AND he gets 4 attacks per round with thac0 of about -13 with AC of about -10. And he's good at finding traps (about 140) and hiding in shadows (about 100).

Liability? I guess that depends on what your character to be. I use mine as a front line tank alongside Korgan and they work really well. No complaints from me.
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 01:19 PM   #5
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

And remember, if you need more than +4 to hit, there are a number of weapons your monk can use in these situations.

A monk, who can kill a dragon with one blow, a liability? Absolutely not!

------------------

An elevator smells different to a dwarf.

Ronn_Bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 07:15 AM   #6
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

Ok, thanks for the replies. A few more questions..

Prime2U: are you saying with the gauntlets of crushing, a monks fists go to +8? So he can hit anything in the game? I thought they just improved thaco and damage...

Big Red: what use do you get out of the monks thief skills? I find them useless. Find traps is totally useless, because a monk can't actually disarm them. So you need a thief with high find traps skill anyway. And hide in shadows is pretty much useless when you can just send in a thief, or cast improved invis...
Old 10-11-2001, 08:58 AM   #7
Big Red
Dungeon Master

Floyd:
Imoen's my thief so she's only got limited thieving abilities, but enough to get by with by all accounts.

Personally I prefer prefer to keep her in the back line until I need her to disarm a trap. There are 2 main reasons I use my Monk in the front line for detecting traps.

1. sometimes when I'm moving too quick I'll miss one and he'll set the trap off - occasionally he'll take some damage (he's got enough hitpoints to survive, and a gaxx ring to regenerate with) but he's pretty much immune to most of them. If Imoen sets one off she takes a lot more damage or dies.

2. When we encounter enemies, my monk's there in the front ready to pounce, and Imoen's safely at the back. I don't want to rearrange my party every time we encounter enemies - people get in each other's way and it takes longer to get into attack formation.

Hide in shadows/move silently is great as well (although I suppose you could use invisibility potions/spells to do the same - I prefer hide in shadows as it's limitless and can't be despelled). He can move in real close to the enemy; he doesn't have backstab but he's got stunning blow, quivering palm and other high level abilities such as greater whirlwind and he's quite at home in the middle of the ensuing fight. I used to have Yoshi as my main thief, but he had such bad AC and thac0 that he was a liability after his first backstab attempt and had to retreat out of the way before he could use his bow safely.

I'll often send my monk in, hidden, pick a suitable target (normally mage), have the rest of my party attack another target while I batter the first mage to death, with enough attacks per round that hardly a spell gets cast. Normally we get through most battles without needing potions or spells - I tend to use them as a last resort rather than as a general rule.

The beauty of this game is that there are so many different ways to play it - given my current party, this is the way I like to play it. Another time I'll play it without a monk and find a different strategy.

Also:
Gauntlets of crushing:
Thac0: +4 bonus when attacking with fists
Damage: +4 bonus when attacking with fists

Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 03:06 PM   #8
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Gaunlets of Crushing add +4 to your THACO(in addition to fist bonus), but do not add +4 as far as what's needed to hit.

If you need +5 weapons in order to hit an opponent, and your monk's fist are +3 and he's wearing the GoC +4, then he can still only hit creature's who require +4 or less. In that respect it's not cumulative.

Again, this has rarely been a problem. Your monk gets to spend proficency points when leveling up like anyone else. You'll find a suitable weapon(s), and use it when needed, but your fists, by far, will be your favorite weapon.

You'll spend much more time scraping evil doers DNA from underneath your fingernails, than off a weapon. Trust Me

------------------
An elevator smells different to a dwarf.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)
Ronn_Bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 06:12 PM   #9
masteraleph
Elminster

Think about it this way...
a monk, at high levels, does 1d20 damage, +3 or 4 for his fists, +4 for the gauntlets of crushing, + say +8 or so for super strength when you slap a strenght belt on to him. That's 1d20 +16, which is about the highest you can get. Seeing as he then has good AC and 4 attacks per round, AND can get Greater Whirlwind, he's pretty crazy.
masteraleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 02:07 AM   #10
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

It seems pointless using weapons with my monk, as he can only put one star in each prof.. But oh well. So far (level 15 or so) my pure kensai is alot more powerful though.