Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-26-2002, 04:13 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I'm about to buy a Canon XL-1 Camcorder (MiniDV), and was wondering if it would be better to use (We're talking PRODUCTION quality stuff)a Macintosh G4 or even a Mac Laptop.

The reason I ask this, is this: Mac's are used 96% of the time for Video editing and use 'Final Cut Pro x.x' and is easier than say Adobe Premere.

Also, would a G4 allow such editing cards such as the Pinnicle Pro One?

I know a few of you are Mac users and just wondered what you thought.. and have you done any high-end editing using Final Cut Pro?

Thanks!! (PS: the last time I used a Mac, was the old Apple ][ I think... but I hear that MacOS 10 is awesome...

[ 08-26-2002, 04:16 AM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 08-26-2002, 04:27 AM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Macs are setup quite well for this type of thing [img]smile.gif[/img]
(It`s about all they`re good for IMO )
Old 08-26-2002, 04:34 AM   #3
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, well depends greatly on how much you want to make Ziroc. A fullblood video editing studioo for either Mac or PC is very costly. (Not at all as it has been though )

Final Cut Pro is one of the absolute best programs on the market today and I have seen it fly with a G4 double processor machine, and I have seen it work on a PC just as quick.

The Mac is better because it renders quicker than the PC, unles you get a dual processor PC. Thats the difference.

Basicly it cpmes down to two things (I know, I have made material for Sony Swedens retailer about this for two years now ) that it is a matter of personal style and size of your wallet that makes the difference.

I could easily recommend the G4 "moviemaker" station, double processers, DVD burner and Pinnacle studio. A very good and fairly "cheap" machine with great Prestanda.

But check fo prices, and go for Final Cut Pro, easy to use and very nice.

If you want to do the high end movies, you need a good working machine and graphics card, which sometimes can be VERY costly.

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/

Check this webpage, a highend users guide and magazine who has latest reports on programs, hardware etc.

Good Luck!

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 08-26-2002, 04:37 AM   #4
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

I haven't used Macs a great deal , but the company I work for does a lot of editing/M-peg stuff and the guys in that department swear by them.
Old 08-26-2002, 04:40 AM   #5
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanesra:
I haven't used Macs a great deal , but the company I work for does a lot of editing/M-peg stuff and the guys in that department swear by them.
I bet they do, they say : What the **** is this??

Nah seriously, you can get a whiopping great system with either brand, but it is easier to buy a highend machine ready to start immediately with the Mac line of puters since they specialize alot in videoediting lately.

And they are good machines, it is mostly a matter of personal liking and how you like to work. The programs look identicly almost so..

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 08-26-2002, 07:29 AM   #6
Deathbringer

err.. Ziroc, coming from someone who actually uses video editing in my Multimedia products (i.e. web and CD software!) I hate to say it but macs are being phased out. Companies are progressing to PC's. All the high-end video software that Mac's use are being produced for Windows platform machines as well. Plus PC's are saving companies a lot of money, because they are cheaper, easily upgradeable more accessible and more supported!

One of my Uni friends and I went to one of the main multimedia industries in Australia nearly 3 weeks ago. They do a lot of video editing for TV ads, mucis videos and even movies there in the US! We noticed they had 1 Mac in the entire biulding! Yes 1. My friend asked him why they don't use Macs here ('cos he is a 'Mac lover') and the guy looked at us blankly and said "Mac? Isn't that what a little kid uses for colouring-in games?"

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
The reason I ask this, is this: Mac's are used 96% of the time for Video editing and use 'Final Cut Pro x.x' and is easier than say Adobe Premere.
NOT true. These are OLD figures. Simply get your self a good capture card with firewire and believe you me, your pc will be just as good.

Plus if you wanted a complete 'Professional setup' get a two monitor setup with TV connection and analog and DV sound reproducer. [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img]

Old 08-26-2002, 07:37 AM   #7
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathbringer:
err.. Ziroc, coming from someone who actually uses video editing in my Multimedia products (i.e. web and CD software!) I hate to say it but macs are being phased out. Companies are progressing to PC's. All the high-end video software that Mac's use are being produced for Windows platform machines as well. Plus PC's are saving companies a lot of money, because they are cheaper, easily upgradeable more accessible and more supported!

That sounds just like my company 'invest in the past'. Ziroc visit London for £20 i'll let you take one of our Avid suites [img]smile.gif[/img] Would that be a bad thing..it would wouldn't it ?