Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-07-2005, 09:03 PM   #11
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

Two words: Siberian Husky. I have two (mother/daughter) and love them both. Active, outgoing, playful, barking is more like howling and whining a lot of times, but I enjoy that sound, soo....

We also have a samoyed, which does bark a lot, but I think ours is "broken" (he's not playful and he somehow *hates* to run and play outside), Plus, a quality samoyed is probably what you'd call "poofy", with their really long coats that you *must* brush as least every other day, for both hygene and dog warmth reasons.

Oh ya, females are typically less dominance oriented than males, which I'm sure you already know, but if it's a concern, go with a female. They have the added bonus of not trying to "mark their territory" every five meters...
Old 01-07-2005, 09:04 PM   #12
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Oh God, a Jack Rusesel, the only dog to run me completely out of energy, and that was before I put on the leash...

[ 01-07-2005, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Sir Degrader ]
Old 01-07-2005, 09:21 PM   #13
Arvon
Unicorn

Take a look at the Keeshond, (sometimes known as the Dutch Barge Dog).

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 01-07-2005, 10:34 PM   #14
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I know some breeds are naturally more prone to dominance than others (e.g., sheep dogs etc, who like to round up everyone nearby ), but you can overcome a lot of temperament issues like that with really good training and desexing. Desexing makes male dogs especially a lot less aggressive and more placid, and you'll want to train your dog really well anyway, especially if you're getting a bigger dog which can be more difficult to control when walking etc purely because of their strength.

Labradors are lovely dogs as well, with really wonderful temperaments, that you might consider.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:40 PM   #15
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
A bastard.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:26 PM   #16
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well my Samoyed (or however you spell it), Sparky, my mom got from the pound, his old name used to be "Corkey" but we all hated that name LOL. He was just so spunky and friendly, he even would hang out on the porch and let all my mom's cats sit and lay on him, and knead his stomach like he was their mother ROTFL. He loved to play too, and I could take a dog treat and hold it up and he'd hop on is back legs to get to it, so cute. He wasn't too long haired, nothing to difficult to groom, he was completely white. (We had a few Collies when I was growing up too, now THAT'S some groomimg time LOL!). I'd only groom Sparky in the summertime, and he was hard to keep clean LOL. I'd dry him off and let him go outside and he'd promptly run to the corn fields (in the Spring, when the farmers had just put down their manure!!). Or he'd go roll in the gutters along the road, which flooded often in the Spring and Summer with the rains, and were basically these long muddy lakes along side the road, i.e., a fun doggy swimming pool. Bah LOL! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

[ 01-07-2005, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 01-07-2005, 11:29 PM   #17
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
A bastard.
I am not! Take that back
Old 01-08-2005, 08:14 AM   #18
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

I have a husky. He is very playful, but sometimes when I'm walking him and we pass other dog owners he lies down on the grass and edges forward, as if he is stalking them. He is only two years old and is very strong. I'd reccomend getting a Halti collar for him (like a muzzle, when your dog pulls it turns their head, stopping them pulling), it's worked wonders for my dog. You would have no problem with him keeping up with you, huskys are very good runners.

One problem is the amount of hair that comes off him. He moults constantly, so I would avoid wearing black clothes/having black couches if you get one!

Whatever dog you get, make sure you show us a picture!
Old 01-08-2005, 02:07 PM   #19
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I agree that a Golden Retriever or a Labrador Retriever would be very good, as they are very playful and easily trainable. The suggestion of adopting an adult Golden is a very reasonable one, too.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:18 PM   #20
spydar

I've heard that mutts, actually, make the best pets because they tend to exhibit the best traits of the breeds. my dad has a dog that we took in from the street as a puppy. the vet figures Beaumont is part golden retriever and part husky. he's very energetic, loves to runs, never barks, and hardly ever sleeps in his doghouse (even though he's up in northern Alberta in the middle of January). one problem we've seen with him, and we've heard it's true of most huskies, is that he wanders and doesn't always come back. now my dad lives in a very small town so it's not that hard to find him, but it could be a problem if you lived in the city.

also Beaumont can't swim, at all. now who ever heard of a dog who couldn't swim right? well Beaumont can't, he paddles a little and then starts to sink until my dad hauls him out again.