Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-01-2004, 07:16 AM   #1
GameGurl25
Dungeon Master

Cultural Aspects

Elves tend to disdain the alcoholic drinks of the other races, finding them crude to the elven taste buds.

Elves do not sleep, but entera meditative trance known as Reverie, wherein eyes often remain open and life signs diminish dramatically. This is a communal function, connecting elves nearby to one another emotionally.

Elves will occasionally sleep as other races do when badly injured or sick.

Elven culture does not hold a taboo on nudity. As such, public bathing and revealing clothing are normal experiences within the community.

Elves are clean creatures by nature and as such bathe often and keep their gear and homes clean and well-maintained. It is rude to enter an elven home while unclean.

Elves, especially Gold, Wild, and Wood elves, often have a disdain for other races and their items, viewing them as inferior and crude. Although elves tend to hold these views, they also respect certain aspects of their cultures. Examples would be dwarven masonry, gnomish alchemy or mechanisms, or human music and art.

Most elves do not choose a particular deity, but worship the entire elven pantheon.

Elves hold a wonder for magic, and love even the simplest of magical devices.
Most Wood and Wild elves, and some other elves, have a strong dislike for half-elves.

All elves hold a reverence for nature, especially trees and creatures. Abuse of nature saddens, sickens, and angers the elvish people.

Tomb-robbing is an act of vile evil. No theft of graves or tombs is tolerated.
Elves hate things of evil, especially undead and beings from the lower planes.

Elven culture has a 5-year mourning period after the death of a spouse before one can remarry.

Sex is an act of love in elven culture, and is thus practiced only under those circumstances. The exception is the Wood and Wild elves, who allow flirtation and love-making as a way of life and a source of fun and enjoyment.

Calling a Moon (or Silver) elf a "gray" elf is the most vicious of insults, especially if the user is an elf.

Elves can enter a one-time permanent bond with another elf who is to be a life-mate. This is called Rapport or "Aleiryid", each member of the link being the others 'aleirin". They can share some thoughts and feelings through this link. Occasionally, the linked elves can feel each others presence through their entwined lifeforces. When one dies, the other feels it. This is a deeply spiritual bond, symbolizing the deepest of feelings for one another, and a dedication to that person. Usually offered by the male, this is a deep symbol of respect and caring for the intended "aleirin". This is also the deepest of honors to the offered individual, suggesting a lifetime of companionship and caring. An eternal bond.

Elves see their wines as a sacred symbol of their people, and any show of disrespect while consuming them is a serious offense (i.e. guzzling, wasting, or spilling the wine).

The bending of one's ear, directed at an elf, is the most dire of insults, and is the equivilant of the showing of a middle finger and combining every applicable racial slurr all in one gesture.

[ 12-01-2004, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: GameGurl25 ]
Old 12-01-2004, 02:22 PM   #2
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Well, I think it differs depending on which Fantasy World you're dealing with.

But otherwise, that was an immensley interesting read. I really appreciate the posting! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

EDIT: Oh, out of curiosity, where did you get all that from? A site, or book?

[ 12-01-2004, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: slicer15 ]
Old 12-01-2004, 03:56 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Yes, it is important to quote your sources. Links are also hoped for, but if you would just quote the source, that would be the least expected of such a post.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:57 PM   #4
GameGurl25
Dungeon Master

sorry...I meant to add that in there. (J Dub Admin/Author) It's from a website on the nature of the Tel'Quessir. (Forgotten realms novels) You can find it here: (along with vocabulary, phrases, & drinks)

http://realmscape.mortality.net/Chon...elquessir.html

[ 12-01-2004, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: GameGurl25 ]
Old 12-01-2004, 04:51 PM   #5
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
I'm definitely liking the public bathing and such. "Hello Ms. Tyler, how are you this chilly afternoon?" [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2004, 04:55 PM   #6
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Er... Thank you?

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:01 PM   #7
GameGurl25
Dungeon Master

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!ROFL
Old 12-01-2004, 05:35 PM   #8
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

*waits for DrowArchmage to make an appearence*
Old 12-01-2004, 05:46 PM   #9
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Well, was quite an interesting read. I loved the bending of the ear part.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 12-01-2004, 06:18 PM   #10
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Well, you learn something new every day. Thanks for that interesting read! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by SomeGuy:
Well, was quite an interesting read.
Yes, an interesting READ... i.e., on the computer... not on paper... else it would have to had been written with a BIRO!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by SomeGuy
bending of the ear
"Dude, I swear that was a movie!"
Please, please, don't bring out the inflatable fist!