Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-03-2004, 10:00 AM   #21
Morgawr
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Light Bulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Elizar:
I believe this MMORPG will be great for roleplaying: http://www.mutablerealms.com/

Theres an open beta coming up 1.December...
I might be sounding really thick but as i said i'm new to this so bear with me.

What is an open beta?
Old 11-03-2004, 10:26 AM   #22
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
I thought I already saw Everq 2 at the store, no?
yep.. and in preordering my copy, i get a starter kit which i posted awhile back in micel games forum.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/no...;f=22;t=001268

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-03-2004, 08:31 PM   #23
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgawr:
quote:
Originally posted by Elizar:
I believe this MMORPG will be great for roleplaying: http://www.mutablerealms.com/

Theres an open beta coming up 1.December...
I might be sounding really thick but as i said i'm new to this so bear with me.

What is an open beta?
[/QUOTE]its like testing the server for bugs and fixing it up before final release. its called beta testing.

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-04-2004, 12:21 AM   #24
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightcloak:
Everquest 2 hands down will probably provide for greater entertainment and replay value then WoW. Why?

1) WoW is a Blizzard game, and thus is built on many fundamental systems they've seem to have gotten down quite well due to previous release testing (Diablo 2) So thus, it will always feature Phat Lewt, and people will most likely searching for the best gear (which is usually unique) so everyone in the end has the same thing.

2) WoW is going to attract a lot of D2 players, and if you are or have been an avid D2 player, we all know what the people are like on B.Net. Expect little to no RPing unless they provide a designated server for it like Everquest at the moment does.

3) I hate Blizzard's cliche view of warriors and magicians, even though each class will have more skills then what is found in D2, they are like that of D2, and soon there will be one and only one viable build.

I think you can expect a lot from Everquest 2 however since in truth, they have more experience in the MMORPG world, Blizzard doesn't. The content of Everquest 1 is really actually quite amazing, so they have something to work with to expand on and mold it to ideally what they wanted.

**EDIT** wow I just realized hes asking about EVE and Anarchy Online, my bad =) - well then i'm replying to the post above ^_^
Are you kidding, you're talking against "phat lewt" and recomending Everquest? Have you ever played it?

Did you also even try World of Warcraft? Apparently not, because all your info about it is wrong.

The skills in WoW have absolutely nothing in common with diablo 2, they are based on warcraft. Is there polymorph in D2? No. Are there Shamans, clerics, hunters? No. In d2 can you play as a night elf hunter and ride a sabretooth tiger? No. Can you tame animals? No...

The classes are nothing like those of D2. The system isn't even the same. Of all of the mmorpgs I played, WoW is the only one that made warriors interesting toplay. They don't just stand in front of the ennemy and do regular attack, they have tons of skills. I won't even talk about the other classes. There's so much you can do with the classes of this game, it make every other mmorpgs look dumb.

You've obviouslty never played WoW or Everquest 2, and probably not Everquest 1 either. You're apparently just biased against Blizzard or Diablo. Why don't just say you don't like them, instead of giving false info and trying to con people into missing a game they might like?

By the way, mmorpg stand for Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

[ 11-04-2004, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 11-04-2004, 12:51 AM   #25
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

First of all, MMORPGS isn't about roleplaying and it will never change. Anyone that tell you so obviously hasn't played them for long. Think of them as 3d board games instead.

Out of all the population of every mmorpgs, there might be less than 1% of them that roleplay. In the 5 or so years I've been playing those games, I've ran in about 20 people that acted in character. Most of those had a regular character, and just played the "in character" one about once a week for a few hours. I only every saw 2 that stayed in character all the time.

There also will be lots of powergaming. The majority of players do it. If you don't do it, expect the majority of the players to be more powerfull and better equiped than you. If you want to play for your ego and don't want to powergame, then forget it.

Anarchy Online had a lot of promise back then, but personally, I didn't like it. I got it the day it came out, and only 2 hours after the shop were open, I was already home loging on. Me and my best online friend of back then were planing to switch to that game.

I played it for a week, but it was extremly broken and the gameplay wasn't really interesting. I stoped playing then and went back to my regular game. My friend kept playing for a few more months until he too got tired of it and came back to our old game.

Maybe a year after the game was out, I decided to give it a try, in hope that they had fixed the bugs, gameplay, and added more content. Well, it was still the the same, so after one day of playing, I quit again.

I never played Eve Online, but the screenshots are awesome and the game look fun. Just keep in mind that it's apparently a starship game, so there will be even less roleplaying in it than in regular ones.

MMORPGS are like PC and MAC. People always get loyal to the one they play and will refuse to accept any other ones. They will all be inferior to them. That's why so many people just want Everquest 2. They all first played the first one. It's not important to them that Final Fantasy, Matrix online, Middle Earth online, Warcraft, Dongeons and Dragons online are all in production or available. They won't even try them and if they do, they will be biased against them anyway. All mmorpgs gamers are like that to a degree. Want an example of this? Look at Deathkiller's post... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

There is also lots of bias against mmorpgs from people that never played them. I'm not sure why. It's the same phenomenon than the D&D bias.

In my opinion, you have a problem if you can't fit 10$ a month in your budget...

[ 11-04-2004, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 11-04-2004, 03:22 AM   #26
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcloak:
Everquest 2 hands down will probably provide for greater entertainment and replay value then WoW. Why?

1) WoW is a Blizzard game, and thus is built on many fundamental systems they've seem to have gotten down quite well due to previous release testing (Diablo 2) So thus, it will always feature Phat Lewt, and people will most likely searching for the best gear (which is usually unique) so everyone in the end has the same thing.

2) WoW is going to attract a lot of D2 players, and if you are or have been an avid D2 player, we all know what the people are like on B.Net. Expect little to no RPing unless they provide a designated server for it like Everquest at the moment does.

3) I hate Blizzard's cliche view of warriors and magicians, even though each class will have more skills then what is found in D2, they are like that of D2, and soon there will be one and only one viable build.

I think you can expect a lot from Everquest 2 however since in truth, they have more experience in the MMORPG world, Blizzard doesn't. The content of Everquest 1 is really actually quite amazing, so they have something to work with to expand on and mold it to ideally what they wanted.

**EDIT** wow I just realized hes asking about EVE and Anarchy Online, my bad =) - well then i'm replying to the post above ^_^
Are you kidding, you're talking against "phat lewt" and recomending Everquest? Have you ever played it?

Did you also even try World of Warcraft? Apparently not, because all your info about it is wrong.

The skills in WoW have absolutely nothing in common with diablo 2, they are based on warcraft. Is there polymorph in D2? No. Are there Shamans, clerics, hunters? No. In d2 can you play as a night elf hunter and ride a sabretooth tiger? No. Can you tame animals? No...

The classes are nothing like those of D2. The system isn't even the same. Of all of the mmorpgs I played, WoW is the only one that made warriors interesting toplay. They don't just stand in front of the ennemy and do regular attack, they have tons of skills. I won't even talk about the other classes. There's so much you can do with the classes of this game, it make every other mmorpgs look dumb.

You've obviouslty never played WoW or Everquest 2, and probably not Everquest 1 either. You're apparently just biased against Blizzard or Diablo. Why don't just say you don't like them, instead of giving false info and trying to con people into missing a game they might like?

By the way, mmorpg stand for Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.
[/QUOTE]I would just like to quote "Yuffies" words in an EQ2 forum regarding this issue. its his view who has played beta on both i guess. he is very helpful in explaining the differences. [img]smile.gif[/img] hope this helps

link: http://www.eqii.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=20245

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My take on World of Warcraft...

Pretty fun but only for a couple of months if you're a super-omg-no-life hardcore gamer... unless you plan on playing multiple characters. World of Warcraft is basically the game Diablo II could have been if it was perfect. Seriously. WoW = Diablo II in it's ultimate form... in some ways, with obvious differences because of the genre each is in. It takes no more than two months of hardcore playing to reach max level and get most of the best gear for that class in the entire game. Keep in mind, that's hardcore playing. A casual gamer would probably take five months to "beat" a class. Of course, if you're the type who likes to play multiple classes... this might be a very long-term game for you. The fact that you can start multiple characters and still make great progress with all of them is a very attractive point.

It is not a massive world... although it's not "small" either. Bigger than original EQ last I checked, by a noticable amount. Furthermore, Blizzard has shown that they do listen to the players and... more importantly, understand the issues beta testers have with those issues. They have not rushed these changes out the door... and in fact a few changes are being applied right now in response to class rebalancing issues. Blizzard has taken their time with an open beta that started out with lots of obvious problems... but over time they've shown that they understand not only what's wrong, but how to fix it.

It's not the perfect game. But I've gone from dubious, to hostile, to interested, to very supportive of World of Warcraft over the course of beta testing. I'm not a beta tester myself, although I have played the game and talk to beta testers quite a bit.

In comparison to EQ2... World of Warcraft wins out in a lot of ways, and EQ2 wins out in some as well.

Questing: Tie. EQ2 has voice acting but other than that, the two games have very, very similar quest mechanics and types of quests.

Combat: World of Warcraft. There are just plain old more things to do in World of Warcraft in a fight in terms of what one person can do to change the course of a battle. Combat just feels more strategic in WoW. I prefer WoW's fighting. It's nothing amazing but I have no real complaints, whereas I have several about EQ2's. One big example is that EQ2 battles are very impersonal. You're just one person in the crowd; no one really gets to stand out.

Graphics: Depends. WoW has better graphics (imo) from a stylistic perspective and there are far fewer bugs with their graphics... not to mention I never look at the game and question "um, were the designers on crack when they created that model / made that animation?"... unlike EQ2. EQ2, on the other hand, utilizes superior technical functions of today's graphics cards and does several of them right. Some moments in EQ2 are breathtaking. Unfortunately, those are overshadowed by glaring faults of EQ2's art team that just stick out and make you wonder how those got out of alpha. I'd rather look at WoW but EQ2 has more potential. Wasted potential, unfortunately.

Bugs: EQ2 "wins", although that's a bad thing. Currently, EQ2 is bug-ridden. I've crashed several times and had severe login issues... to say nothing of the other bugs like quest bugs, graphic bugs, etc. I've never had any issues with World of Warcraft, and I played WoW's beta longer than EQ2's.

Classes: WoW. Classes in WoW are more diverse and cooler than EQ2's classes... hands down, no question. Furthermore, since rebalancing efforts (some of which are ongoing as they address class roles further), classes in WoW are better balanced than EQ2's classes, which is sad given the fact that EQ2 made sacrifices in design to create the archetype system, which was supposed to enhance balance.

Soloing: WoW. Though grouping is better and more fun, it's far more feasible to make anything approaching meaningful progress in WoW solo as opposed to EQ2 solo... which slows down dramatically once you hit level 10. Plus they've eliminated many solo encounters in EQ2 with the last patch in favor of adding more group encounters (which, imo was not even necessary with instancing).

This might belong in General Gaming though.

At any rate, it might have been done 1,000,000 times before, but I couldn't really comment on the issue until I'd played both. I don't hate EQ2. I don't. I think it has a lot of potential if they'd start realizing that they need to take a couple steps back before they take steps forward. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen as EQ2 is launching in what... a week or so?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-04-2004, 04:17 AM   #27
Morgawr
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
First of all, MMORPGS isn't about roleplaying and it will never change. Anyone that tell you so obviously hasn't played them for long. Think of them as 3d board games instead.

Out of all the population of every mmorpgs, there might be less than 1% of them that roleplay. In the 5 or so years I've been playing those games, I've ran in about 20 people that acted in character. Most of those had a regular character, and just played the "in character" one about once a week for a few hours. I only every saw 2 that stayed in character all the time.

There also will be lots of powergaming. The majority of players do it. If you don't do it, expect the majority of the players to be more powerfull and better equiped than you. If you want to play for your ego and don't want to powergame, then forget it.

Anarchy Online had a lot of promise back then, but personally, I didn't like it. I got it the day it came out, and only 2 hours after the shop were open, I was already home loging on. Me and my best online friend of back then were planing to switch to that game.

I played it for a week, but it was extremly broken and the gameplay wasn't really interesting. I stoped playing then and went back to my regular game. My friend kept playing for a few more months until he too got tired of it and came back to our old game.

Maybe a year after the game was out, I decided to give it a try, in hope that they had fixed the bugs, gameplay, and added more content. Well, it was still the the same, so after one day of playing, I quit again.

I never played Eve Online, but the screenshots are awesome and the game look fun. Just keep in mind that it's apparently a starship game, so there will be even less roleplaying in it than in regular ones.

MMORPGS are like PC and MAC. People always get loyal to the one they play and will refuse to accept any other ones. They will all be inferior to them. That's why so many people just want Everquest 2. They all first played the first one. It's not important to them that Final Fantasy, Matrix online, Middle Earth online, Warcraft, Dongeons and Dragons online are all in production or available. They won't even try them and if they do, they will be biased against them anyway. All mmorpgs gamers are like that to a degree. Want an example of this? Look at Deathkiller's post... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

There is also lots of bias against mmorpgs from people that never played them. I'm not sure why. It's the same phenomenon than the D&D bias.

In my opinion, you have a problem if you can't fit 10$ a month in your budget...
I have just purchesed Eve online, online (eh?) so am just waiting for it to be delivered.

Thank you for everyones post and help/replies.
Judging by a lot of what has been sai there is a lot of loyalty from players to specific MMORPG's. i can't understand why gamers woul limit themselves to just one game in a genre?
Maybe i will understand more when i play online and maybe will fall into that niche myself. Time will tell.
In regards to WoW, i haven't heard much about it but going by the strength of WarcraftIII online it should be excellent.

Just a one more question:
What is powergaming?
Old 11-04-2004, 06:51 AM   #28
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Sorry Luvian, don't call me names but, having read your posts I still don't know which MMORPGS you like?
Old 11-04-2004, 08:16 AM   #29
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
Sorry Luvian, don't call me names but, having read your posts I still don't know which MMORPGS you like?
No MMORPGs are perfect, they all have their strength and weaknesses.

So far, what I want to play are WoW and City of Heroes. Both for different reasons.

I'll certainly try D&D online and Middle Earth online if possible when they come out, maybe the Matrix Online too. I would have tried Final Fantasy, but it recquire a credit card and I don't have access to one anymore.

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar :
I would just like to quote "Yuffies" words in an EQ2 forum regarding this issue. its his view who has played beta on both i guess. he is very helpful in explaining the differences. [Smile] hope this helps
I mostly agree with him, there's just a few things wrong. As I said earlier, the battle engine and the classes have noting in common with d2. It play like any mmorpg and has warcraft's classes. The only common thing with d2 is that both games have druids and paladins. Those of World of Warcraft use the skills and look of those in Warcraft 3. All the classes have the skills of the Warcraft 3 classes plus more they added.

Also about the easy time to reach limit cap, it's done on purpose. So that people focus on what can be done in the game instead of on leveling. You are supposed to reach the level cap fast. Then you just play your character for quests, fun, and pvp if you're into that. Or you play another character, and this time you do your quests and explore instead of rushing your levels.

No time to explain powergamers, I'm late for work.

[ 11-04-2004, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 11-04-2004, 09:33 AM   #30
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

power gaming is like diablo where you just have to get the best equipment, and the highest level to be somebody.

Catch me if you can..