Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-09-2004, 12:52 AM   #11
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Ok here is the exact error I get...To the letter (Well I hope it is)

Quote:
Checking root filesystem
WARNING: couldn't open /etc/fstab: No such file or directory
fsck.ext2/:
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem.
If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not a swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running ef2sck with an alternate superblcok:
e2fsck -b 8193

:Is a directory while trying to open /
[FAILED]
***An error occured during the file system check.
***Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
***when you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):
Old 11-09-2004, 10:46 PM   #12
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

It's saying the filesystem is corrupt. Since this is brand-new, start over from scratch, including wiping the entire filesystem and rebuilding it from scratch.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:32 AM   #13
philip
Galvatron

You're missing the file that describes which partitions you have and which thing is mounted on that as well. That won't do much good till you have that. Your system won't be able to mount a thing on reboot I'd say from my experience?

WARNING: couldn't open /etc/fstab: No such file or directory

But yeah if it doesn't work this way and you want to try with the e2fsck you could try

Quote:
e2fsck -b 8193
And see if it works. On the other hand there seems to be trouble with more stuff if you don't have an /etc/fstab file. Are you sure you don't want to try just reinstalling? BTW which fedora are you using cause FC1 is old. Or is it FC2?