Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-04-2004, 01:00 PM   #31
Smoothie.
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
quote:
Originally posted by Smoothie.:
I thought it was a joke just because of the previous posts. Still language is a problem although I remember you guys being fine with a guy using the C word here.
hey Smoothie, where've you been and how come you've registered a new account? [/QUOTE]oh I've been fighting with people at my own board for once. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I registered with a new name just at work because I don't know my pass and can't get my email at work either.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:02 PM   #32
Smoothie.
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
I think I'll throw my two cents in here.

Ok, for one, I was suprised myself when Hiero actually posted that, it was out of the blue to me. But here is what I can't understand, and that is how other people are offended when the post wasn't directed at them. Don't get me wrong, I know he broke one of the forum rules, but I'm not saying being drunk is a reason for him to do it all the time. I say just let him off with a warning so he doesn't do it again, or he'll know what'll happen. Besides, I know there are a few people with a beer beside their computers, don't lie [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Oh, and one other thing, to whoever used this, never debate against PWI with DWI in an arguement, ever. They are so insanely different, it's unreal [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Gangrell it is the cursing itself that might be found offensive by others although it didn't bother me in the least, me being the potty mouth that I am. It is a pg-13 board but I do think he should have gotten warning and not just banned outright, but again just my opinion.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:03 PM   #33
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by RevRuby:
off-topic:

what is the difference between pwi and pui?

on-topic:

i am offended but strong language (here or anywhere else) since my baptism in october. and would have reported it myself because this is a family friendly board and just because most young (11-13) teens cuss doesn't mean i support them reading it in a fully accessable forum.
For the love of... Okay, fine. Still funny to see how sensitive some people can get over something as irrelevant as a curse-word that's pretty much accepted in informal speech about anywhere else in the world anyway. I can see how some people consider it to be offensive, however; and besides, it's Ziroc's forum, Ziroc's rules. That much is clear, and I have no problems with abiding by it. But to ban someone for it? I personally think it's a bit too harsh. And I mean no disrespect to the moderators here (never did, never will), but what's wrong with a simple mod overrule edit and an official warning, especially regarding the context in which the "insult" was made?

And anyways, if the f-word is really that big a deal, just install a curseword-filter or something of the kind - replacing it by something silly, like "skippy ball" or "pineapple". Then all those tender, fragile 11-13 year old souls can at least enjoy IW without being surrounded by hypocrite expressions of shock whenever someone relapses into using one of the Forbidden Words.

[ 06-04-2004, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 06-04-2004, 01:05 PM   #34
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
oh I've been fighting with people at my own board for once. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I registered with a new name just at work because I don't know my pass and can't get my email at work either.
Haha. That's what, like your third account here on Ironworks?

[ 06-04-2004, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 06-04-2004, 01:19 PM   #35
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
I thought it was a joke just because of the previous posts. Still language is a problem although I remember you guys being fine with a guy using the C word here.
Really? I must have missed that, then.

Old 06-04-2004, 01:23 PM   #36
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

just going to throw my 2 cents worth in on this topic...
for some people, cursing is not only morally wrong, but it is against their belife system, that is why some find it offensive, plus, when said in certain ways, it is degrading, and insulting to people, so although I am not saying he should be banned for it, I agree it was wrong to say it, and there is a topic along the same lines in the current events where Dan said if it was said again, it would be cause for a ban
Old 06-04-2004, 01:25 PM   #37
Smoothie.
Elite Waterdeep Guard

so why allow the C word but not the F word? and it was blatantly brushed off when I complained about it. To me the C word is offensive the F word is like an adjective.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:26 PM   #38
Smoothie.
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:
oh I've been fighting with people at my own board for once. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I registered with a new name just at work because I don't know my pass and can't get my email at work either.
Haha. That's what, like your third account here on Ironworks? [/QUOTE]yeah i always forget to change the default pass and then when i need to remember it i can't.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:28 PM   #39
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:
Originally posted by RevRuby:
off-topic:

what is the difference between pwi and pui?

on-topic:

i am offended but strong language (here or anywhere else) since my baptism in october. and would have reported it myself because this is a family friendly board and just because most young (11-13) teens cuss doesn't mean i support them reading it in a fully accessable forum.
For the love of... Okay, fine. Still funny to see how sensitive some people can get over something as irrelevant as a curse-word that's pretty much accepted in informal speech about anywhere else in the world anyway. I can see how some people consider it to be offensive, however; and besides, it's Ziroc's forum, Ziroc's rules. That much is clear, and I have no problems with abiding by it. But to ban someone for it? I personally think it's a bit too harsh. And I mean no disrespect to the moderators here (never did, never will), but what's wrong with a simple mod overrule edit and an official warning, especially regarding the context in which the "insult" was made?

And anyways, if the f-word is really that big a deal, just install a curseword-filter or something of the kind - replacing it by something silly, like "skippy ball" or "pineapple". Then all those tender, fragile 11-13 year old souls can at least enjoy IW without being surrounded by hypocrite expressions of shock whenever someone relapses into using one of the Forbidden Words.
[/QUOTE]I hear you, Grolj, but with respect when someone tells someone else to eff off, we take notice, friendship or no friendship, and I've got a damn good feeling that Z didn't know of Mel's friendship with Hiero. I'm not at all surprised he reacted the way he did, not knowing the context of which you speak. When I myself saw Aaron's post I didn't know what to think, and I knew of his friendship with Mel. As soon as Z reads this thread he'll have a better picture of the situation which will assist his decision making process with respect to the severity of the penalty.

Till then let's call this specific topic quits, eh? We're starting to recycle opinions and I can see this possibly heading into a cussers v anti-cussers debate, which I don't want to happen as it will detract from the reason Mel posted the thread in the first place - to clear Aaron's name and provide Z with the context in which the comment was made. I don't want that jeopardised by a debate I see developing on forum cussing policy as it's important that the integrity of this thread be maintained. This particular thread is NOT the place to debate forum policy - we all know there are mechanisms in place for people to use if they want to make suggestions on forum policy.

So on that note I'll close this, in everyone's best interests. I didn't want to, I hate proving Vask right but I'm guessing that if I leave it open it may do more harm than good if you know what I mean. You guys have a habit of getting carried away, you can't resist yourselves at times! Cheers.

[ 06-05-2004, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]