Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have been seeking employment since January when I completed all my course work for my BA in Spanish from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. I have been posting on job sites and going to job fairs as well as asking friends in the area to refer me to anything they come across. However, this is not resulting in much for me and so I thought I'd turn my request over to IW to see where it might go.

I am looking for a career that will benefit from my ability to speak two languages and is in an environment where I don't have to sit behind a desk all day, if possible. I will need to start out clearing $40k.

I do not want to work in Commissioned Sales nor answering phones for Customer Service.

If you know of anything or would like to see my full resume of previous employers, I will be glad to send it to you.

My family is okay with relocating to any US state, and even admitted she'd move overseas, but she had eaten quite a bit of chocolate before that and maybe she was not in her right mind.

[ 02-28-2007, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 02-28-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
Arvon
Unicorn

Try Monster.com. Their free for the job seeker, the company pays for the listing.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Arvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Languages are a good skill, Larry, and by themselves, they will take you to teaching, translating, and interpreting (speaking from experience as a French major, Spanish minor).

Unfortunately, languages by themselves don't bring you to nice paying jobs

What other skills do you bring to bear? Business, marketing, computers, management, finance... those positions often have opportunity for language skills in addition to their basic prerequisites.

Give me some of that info, and I'll see what I know... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good luck!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have registered on Monster as well as the Employment Security Commission, but those are not the best resources to finding a career, I am told. They are just one minor resource.

Bungleau, I know what you mean. I am finding that only Sales people want to hire me or maybe CSR positions. I would prefer to do something totally new and worth my time. I have worked in several places, not all of which were worth mentioning on my resume. For those that are present on my resume, I do not have anything worth bragging about because I mainly worked where I could get work until I decided to go back to school.

Here's my resume, since you are interested. Private information has been removed.

================================================

EDUCATION
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
B.A. in Spanish May 2007

SKILLS

* Competent in interpreting and translating English to Spanish and Spanish to English.
* Efficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
* Efficient in computer hardware installation and upgrading.

EXPERIENCE

Triad Guaranty Insurance, Winston-Salem, NC
Mailroom Attendant, October 2000-August 2003
* Interpreted for customer service and claims departments on Spanish phone conversations.
* Managed incoming and outgoing mail and packages for the company.

Golden Personnel Services, Winston-Salem, NC
On-Site Coordinator, January 1999-July 2000
* Mediated between Spanish-speaking employees and English-speaking site management.
* Tracked Hispanic temporary employees' work hours and pay rate.
* Hired and terminated employees for production line.
* Trained employees for tasks and safety practices.
* Handled all complaints and rewards.
* Processed worker’s compensation claims.

Thomasville Furniture, Lenoir, NC
Front Desk Office Clerk, July-November 1998
* Interpreted for Hispanic employees and aided Spanish-speaking applicants.
* Maintained all employee attendance records and screened telephone calls.

Tijuana Mission, Mexico
Full-time Missionary, July 1996-June 1998
* Used Spanish skills to provide various services and welfare needs to local residents.

Cajah Mountain Hosiery, Lenoir NC
Dye-House Manager, June 1993-February 1996
* Directed work of others while taking part in production.
* Continuously evaluated and improved the dye process.

OTHER EXPERIENCE

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints-Salem, Clemmons NC
Branch Clerk, October 2002-Present
* Maintained all financial and membership records and provided yearly tax statements.
* Oversaw use of budget and printed reimbursement checks.
* Kept all records in order for semi-annual audits.
* Provided secretarial service to the branch presidency including appointment scheduling.

[ 02-28-2007, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 02-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Lowe's. Human Resources. Pay scale 10. Bilingual Spanish will not alter pay scale. Get your second major in HR, then pursue your MBA through employee enhancement program.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I was thinking much the same thing as Felix. Based on your background, HR is where your skill sets lie. There are certainly a number of places that can use bilingual people in their HR departments.

And there's nothing wrong with sales, Larry... I used to think there was, but I've realized that true sales (not the user-car plaid-jacket shtick) is really about helping people solve problems... and getting rewarded for it.

You might check with the Chamber of Commerce for a list of local businesses, and then check which ones have operations in other places where they could use your language skills.

Heck, I just forgot the biggest one of all... networking! Attend meetings like the Chamber of Commerce, Toastmasters, Lions, Jaycees, and so on to build up your presence and reputation.

Specifically, go there to get to know people and to get known.

In my professional career, precisely one job has *NOT* come from networking. And I got that one job because of my network... people who knew me.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:24 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks guys...Yes...I know that HR would be an ideal place to be...but I am sure that my wife would not just want to sit around and watch me go through more school. I will have to get a job now, and take night courses to get that HR major. Also...if I graduate in May, I'll have to take numerous credit hours again which is a requirement...but if I do not graduate and go back to school...I'll only have to take the main meat of the courses required for the degree.

What a crazy life I live.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:00 PM   #8
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Hey Mate,

Not sure if it helps but the company I work for has a job postings website. You might be able to find something there.

Click Here
Old 02-28-2007, 08:07 PM   #9
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

You Da man, T-D-C. However, you pummeled the wrong person. You should have kept that one in reserve for Bozos of Bones.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:30 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Travel & Tourism. For example, one facet is travel agencies. Both commercial and private, they are always looking for Bi-Lingual people. Speaking two languages is not common at all here unlike America. In Ireland, you'd have a job in a second and still have choices. Same with the UK. And private travel agencies pay alot of money btw. You could do anything in tourism basically, student travel, admin, managerial, commercial tourism, retail. Plus, you'd meet so many different kinds of people you wouldn't believe. I am always telling my hispanic friends how they could easily get a job overseas simply because of the language their heritage afforded them. A second language is (at least in Europe), a goldmine.