Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 04-09-2001, 04:24 PM   #1
Conan

Hi everyone, I am just at the entrance of the Stout mines in my second run. Erathsmedor torched me a little a couple of times, but no real damage. I shot him a couple of times with arrows just to see what he would do...well, anyway, I am now wondering why his color isn't red instead of green..? I thought that only Golden and Red dragons breathed fire.? Green ones would breath something like what the spores emitted or the Man Traps breathed.. .... White ones=clorine Blue ones=lightning Black ones= acid Red ones= fire Golden ones= fire and spells along with transmutation into human forms. I think I would have loved some encounters with any of these in the Spire, besides the oracle Erathsmedor.Him being the final step to Brimlock Ruins.. Is anyone else with me here.? Man that Pixe can hit! Conan
Old 04-09-2001, 04:28 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Who made up those rules, Conan??

Seems to me that there are standards like this that everyone accepts as a given, but they all began with one person deciding that that is how it should be.

I like Erathsmedor green!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 04:31 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Sounds like a "Gygaxian" universe to me!

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 04:36 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

BTW...you do run into some "Red Dragons" after Brimloch Roon...maybe. They're fairly random. I found 3 in my last playthrough. Didn't find any Black ones, though.

-Sazerac
Old 04-09-2001, 07:20 PM   #5
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

Good call Saz.The dragon abilities decribed are from dungeons and dragons.There is some comonality in several fantasy based games of themes from d&d.I guess it's likely that many fantasy game developers got started in d&d at some time.

------------------
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightfull place as master of all I survey.
..........O,_
......_.L.=\_:
~~(_)==(_)

[This message has been edited by sageridder (edited 04-09-2001).]
sageridder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 08:00 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Actually, I think the "color coding" of the dragons in AD&D was an easy way to have adventurers remember what type of attack they were going to lead with. In actual folk lore, most drakes breathed fire. The hydra of Greek legend and the Medusa breathed poison, but they weren't dragons.

-Sazerac
Old 04-09-2001, 09:34 PM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

More than just Dragon color coding has influenced more than one CRPG. I've always questioned the various notions that a Wizard could not be strong or a warrior intelligent. Sometimes I think it would be very good for game designers to really take a fresh look at these concepts and perhaps even throw them out!

(along with the perpetually extremely dark dungeons - pahlease!! There are other alternatives besides making players crank up their gamma and strain their eyes! )
Wyv
Old 04-09-2001, 10:12 PM   #8
Conan

Excellent everybody! these questions of Dragons will always live on! And by the way Wyvern..your name would be a dragon class also!! ooooOOOCCHH THOSE POISIONOUS SPIKES HURT!! Your Adventurer Brother.. Conan
Old 04-09-2001, 10:48 PM   #9
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Conan - as well I know! Chose this handle when I first joined Compu$erve back when 300 baud was all there was (also known as the dark ages). Was reading a book on various dragon types at the time and took a fancy to the name and have used it whenever possible since!

Wyv
Old 04-09-2001, 11:02 PM   #10
Moni

Our Wyv is much prettier than any dragon could be though! Check out this still photo I found of her!

Moni

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 04-09-2001).]