Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2004, 12:13 AM   #1
cimerians
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello! Just signed up with the Ironworks forums and I am a veteran of the original FRUA gamemaker by SSI. Its been....oh....six or seven years since I've been involved with anything FRUA and I just recently discovered how advanced the Dungeon Craft program has evolved and now I am back dabbling with lots of memories and having a blast with how cool Dungeon Craft is over the original(FRUA).

Anyway, since I'm new here and I have no idea what the state of the game is I just wanted to ask some questions that hopefully someone can help in answering:

- Does magic finally work in combat?
- Is there any estimation when Dungeon Craft will have a fully functional "final" version? I term the word "final" loosely, what I mean is when all required (not optional) features are functional.
- And lastly...years ago someone touched up and upgraded the artwork for Pool of Radiance and posted it on the web somewhere. Does anyone know where a copy might be found? I used to have it but over the years and the computer upgrades I lost it. There are also a ton of broken links for FRUA websites out there. Sadly it seems interest has faded greatly with some of the fandom (naturally)

Thanks for the help\info.
cimerians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:08 AM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

Welcome to Dungeon Craft.

Magic does work in combat, but we're still limited in spells as CocoaSpud finishes up the magic code.
As far as completeness, version 1.0 will have everything that FRUA had (plus anything extra that's already available) and is probably still a ways off. Version .911 was just released and .920 will probably be out after the first of the year.
The artwork you're looking for is probably available- the new main download site is the UA File Archive, http://frua.rosedragon.org/index.htm , but GIGA, http://www.giga.or.at/pub/ua/ , is still around and regularly backs up the UA File Archive. The FRUA group is still going strong with over 400 members in their yahoo group.
There is a lot of great art for DC. The best place to start is right here at Ironworks- Ziroc's work is top of the line. I've also got a couple of sites that you can follow from the links below. On my main site, you'll find links to other great sites like Kaltusara's and Steve McDonald's (which isn't always up).

-manikus
Old 12-03-2004, 12:25 AM   #3
cimerians
Elite Waterdeep Guard

At least those archives are still around. Nice to see some of my old favorites. The touch ups here on Ironworks is fantastic. I'm now trying to get used to the differences of FRUA and DC.

One more question if I may...simple but I cannot seem to find it: How do you change the default encamp art?

Anyway thanks for the info.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:34 PM   #4
manikus
Jack Burton

Please ask all the questions you need to ask. There's a faq at my site that deals with the real basic stuff.
To change the default camp art, choose level from the top toolbar, from the dropdown menu choose zone, you can define different default camp art for each zone.

-manikus
Old 12-07-2004, 02:42 AM   #5
cimerians
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks Manikus.

Onwards:

- I noticed there are very little magic items such as potions and the spell lists are pretty small for magic-users. Will this increase in the future? or do we simply "create" these items\spells on our own if possible? (Basically I'd like to create a Potion of Invisibility)

- I also noticed that there is no random combat event. That was handy when you wanted a random combat to happen while the party was wondering around for too long in Zone 'X'. In the original FRUA, you had to pick a certain number of monsters in a set number of slots and then FRUA would randomly select a slot of monsters to use as the random combat. Is the random combat buried somewhere I don't know or is it gone for good?

- I hope this makes sense: The simple Text event doesn't seem to have multiple paragraphs like in FRUA which was limiting. I know how to insert line breaks but it makes for some uneven paragraphs, is there a way to force a new paragraph\section? ([ENTER]) Or do I have to use multiple TEXT events to make it smoother? (Like I said I hope what I said makes sense, its hard to describe in words).

[ 12-07-2004, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: cimerians ]
Old 12-07-2004, 12:25 PM   #6
manikus
Jack Burton

To your first question, yes and yes. As new releases come out, Cocoaspud will be adding more default spells and eventually magical items, but it is also possible to make them yourself. For your example, you'll have to check and see if there is an invisibility script yet.
As to random combats, this is handled under "zone events". There are two ways to do the combat- first, you can check the "random monster" box in the combat event (but I think this will give you one monster chosen randomly from your entire database) or to chain several combat events together, each with a percentage chance of happening, and set that if it doesn't happen to try the next in the chain, until you get to the last in the chain which always fires.
To get paragraphs in a text event, you have to do a 'hard' return. Just hit ctrl+enter and you will have a new paragraph.

Hope this helps. Keep asking away, some of this stuff is really difficult, like the GPDL scripts, but somebody here or on the yahoo list knows the answer.

-manikus
Old 12-10-2004, 06:42 PM   #7
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
is the "pick one combat" event used? there should be a way to group more than one type of monster in this event (like 6 goblins and 1 leader type), if I remember right, FRUA had this, but it only selected one "type" of monster for the event...

SilentThief
Old 12-10-2004, 07:14 PM   #8
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Also, cimerians, if you see the post I had on "new people and everyone else", there is a link to the page where you can Download the game, and also there is a link to download re-made artwork from the original game FRUA. there might be more art from the others there (not sure)

SilentThief