Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-19-2001, 12:53 PM   #1
Vampire

I keep on hearing this...but what does the spell do?
There is Negative Plane Protection.
And in the Kangaxx thread....how does "protection from Magic" help??
That only reduces damage!
Be more specific to newbies!
Say "spell immunity" level 5 Mage....Abjuration. Since Imprisonment is an Abjuration level 9 spell.
Kangaxx has only 8 (max allowed 1d4+4) imprisonment spells.
Remember rage/beserker rage makes you immune to all maze, imprisonment, stun, and any other restricting movement spells.
Demi-Liches require Vopal weapons or +4 weapons to kill them.
Ring of Ram and the spells "Melf's Minute Meteors" and "Holy Word" do damage.

[This message has been edited by Avatar (edited 06-19-2001).]
Old 06-19-2001, 01:02 PM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

Well, I think you are mistaken, because Protection form Undead DOES exist. Only, it is not a spell you can learn, but a Protection Scroll (they have green icons) which you can buy and use in your Quick Item Slot.

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 06-19-2001, 01:08 PM   #3
Vampire

What in the name of heck does that do?
Old 06-19-2001, 01:09 PM   #4
Vampire

Sorry for my ignorance! But never really used the green ones!
What do they do?
And how does Protection from Magic help?
Old 06-19-2001, 02:26 PM   #5
Xod
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
Sorry for my ignorance! But never really used the green ones!
What do they do?
And how does Protection from Magic help?
The "green ones" do exactly what their descriptions say, protection from _blank_. Many are similar to cleric and/or mage spells but can be cast by anyone.

The Protection from Magic scrolls create a globe around the user that prevents ANY magic to exist within the sphere. You are completely immune any spells directly casted on you. The main reason to use it, is for your front-line fighters (who aren't Berserkers) to prevent imprisonment.

------------------

"This place will be your tomb."
Old 06-19-2001, 04:01 PM   #6
Gladion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I read on another post that protection from magic scrolls are very rare, is theree anywhere i can get one ? ive looked in a few shops, but i cant find one.
Old 06-19-2001, 04:12 PM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Minor spoiler,
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
For the ultimate cheeeessssyyyy scroll, Protection from Magic, you can get 2 at the Adventurer Mart in Waukeen Promenade.

For Protection from Undead, most major Magic Stores sell it, usually 1 or 2.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

Old 06-19-2001, 09:14 PM   #8
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I'm about to enter Bodhi's lair for the first time (last Shadow Thief quest in Chap 3). I guess those Prot from Undead scolls would come in useful now, right?

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and SEE WHAT FALLS OUT!!" - Minsc
Old 06-19-2001, 09:47 PM   #9
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

They would and they wouldnt.
They WOULD help, but a vamp is like seeing greysidewalk; you see it all the time (in most places) Save those undead scrolls for Mr. KangyKangy. For those who dont know who kangy is,

SPOILER!!!!
KEWLA! METAL KEWLA!

Hes the lichy boy who asks for you to free his sorry undead hide out of the house beside maevar's guild. You need to kill the slim shady lich (quite trademark descriptive arnt i, found in Cult of unseeing eye (also pick pu the dragons bane +3; does +6 to dragon butts like Firkie.) also, pick on the elemental lichy boy at the Bridge District by the Twisted Rune (if sorc, get the mage killed no, not just shangular)
Tatics against Mr. DemiLichBoy

Dont read the scrolls until Kangaxx turns to the half skull (demi form) also, make sure you get a second ring of gaxx when you pick pocket kangy in lich mode, for an extra advantage. Also, BERZERKER STRENGTH! this and barbarian rage should help against kangaxx's lil' imprison spells. Spell immunity with abjuration is also key. If you want to do the Ultimo melted cheezy way of killin him (this is NOT legitiment) try CluaConsole:CreateItem("killsw01") for a death blade that gives you 100% magic resistance, (assuming you only wield one), that does about 1000 damage (basically the emboidment of cnrl y except you get to keep the xp) also lowers your ac. I seen on my chars -23 for god sakes! Even though that is says no clerics or mages, everybody may use this deadly, easter eggistic blade.

------------------
Will the real cheesy lich stop using timestop, stop using time stop, YEAH BABY! :1diablo:

Old 06-20-2001, 12:59 AM   #10
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Yes protection from undead scrolls are great in the game, but only because they are buggy.
Protection from undead scrolls, by their definition, are suppose to protect you from the physical attacks of undead and related powers (life draining, disease, etc) but its not suppose to protect you from their magical abilities.
The way the scrolls work is that the undead creatures don't even see a character who is protected from undead, so even their spells can't target you, because THEY CAN"T SEE YOU. Thus the undead won't attack, they won't talk to you, they won't cast at you, etc.
So if they worked properly, a lich would still be able to see you and cast spells at you, but couldn't attack you physically. A vampire could see you but really couldn't do anything unless it had spell casting abilities.
They couldn't adjust the scrolls to do this, so they just made undead not notice you. Thus you gain GREAT benefits against all undead.