Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 02-23-2006, 08:01 AM   #1
Target
Red Dragon

I am a little disappointed with my current game so want to try something new. All the NWN games I’ve played so far have involved similar characters. I’ve played Monks, fighters, paladins, barbarians, CoT’s, or mixes of them. What I would like is to try something completely different.
What would you suggest?

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:25 AM   #2
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

I had a great game with a thief 6, bard 6 and Arcane archer 12 so far. When defending the city I just stood on top of the ramparts and fired away. When you are doing 80 points of damage with crits and getting 4-6 shots off a round with +4 arrows and sneak attack with buffs from your bard. I never was touched and held the gate and no one ever reached the seer. The arcane archer is great fun. He would be more deadly with a 10th level thief 2 bard and the rest arcane.

I did play a Ranger 2 Druid 20 and still going but could not get past the defending the city part. The druid offers a lot of variety, with melee, great spells, shapeshifting.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:42 AM   #3
Marathon
Elminster

You could try a cleric for a more magic - centric version of a fighter - you can still wear all the heavy armor, but have to rely on managing your spells. Also, if you want you can buff up and melee as well as a fighter. I played a cleric 20/ COT 6 through HOTU without many problems (although the last guardian gave me serious problems).
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:10 AM   #4
Target
Red Dragon

I would like to try something different to a fighter, just to see if I can play that way. Has anyone got a good 'magic' build?
Cheers

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Old 02-23-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
Stratos
Vampire

How about a Druid?

Spellcaster are usually best as single-classes or with just a few levels of another class.

A Rogue/Wizard is a fun build; lots of skill points and some useful spells. Quite different from a warrior type character. He might have some difficulties hitting enemies, though.

[ 02-23-2006, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 02-23-2006, 01:46 PM   #6
Witchdoctor
Dungeon Master

Why not a straight wizard or sorceror? You would probably be better off as a wizard if you haven't played a magic user before because the wizard has a wider variety of spells to choose from. The sorceror has some more spells, but is limited to a much smaller total number of usable spells. If you don't know which spells your magic play style are going to rely on, you are better off playing a wizard so you can try any of the spells. You just have to rest and re-memorize spells a little more often than a sorceror. The wizard also has the advantage of access to higher level spells than the sorceror a character level earlier. The wizard can learn spells from a scroll, where as a sorceror can use scrolls, but not learn them. One other side benefit of a wizard over a sorceror is the primary attribute for the wizard is intelligence, so you will end up with more skill points to spend on average than a sorceror. Wizards also get bonus metamagic feats that a sorceror would have to expend a feat choice on. Particularly useful are maximize spell and empower spell.

I played a wizard through the OC and took her to high levels, then eventually after she was able to cast ninth level spells, added some rogue levels for the hide/sneak and the trap disarms and lock pick skills. As a wizard you will have competancy with daggers and crossbows and it might be worthwhile to use some feats to take a weapon focus in crossbow as well as point blank shot, just for a back up if you are low on spells. Ranged weapons are your friend since wizards are going to be eaten alive in melee combat.
Witchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:35 AM   #7
Target
Red Dragon

Thanks for the ideas, having thought about it over the weekend I've decided to try being a cleric, (Think I will need a few goes at some spells before trying a wizard).
Does anyone have a good Cleric build which is playable from level 1. I'm going to start SoU. (hopefully it won't freeze on me this time!)
Cheers.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:56 AM   #8
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

The latest patch should have fixed the freezing issues. I'd take a war/strength domain, and goof with that for a bit. It will let you familiarize yourself with spell casting, without getting your butt handed to you every five minutes.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:28 AM   #9
Target
Red Dragon

I don't know a lot about domains, can someone give me a description of them or point me in the direction of a good link?
I hope I've the latest patch, will have to check later.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:57 AM   #10
Stratos
Vampire

The description of the domains and what powers they give is available when you select them at character creation.

As for Cleric tips; make sure you have a decent WIS score (I'll go for at least 16 at character creation) and a minimum of 4 levels of any of the warrior classes prior to level 20 will give you 4 attacks per round eventually. A pure-class Cleric would only get 3. It might also be a good idea to have a decent STR score, say 14, to carry around loot, heavy armour and a shield. You could, of course, go with a lower strength and have a Bull's Strength spell constantly active, but it sucks to be unable to move due to uncumberance just because someone dispelled your spell. It's your call. Other than WIS and STR you might want to consider a good CHA score; several of the Clerics abilities relies on it.

Enjoy!

[ 02-27-2006, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Stratos ]