Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2001, 10:51 AM   #1
gregorya
Welcomed New User

hey all, can anyone help me? I'm on the second act, trying to complete the cult of the eyeless quest in the sewers, and its all going well, except from one bit. I've just solved a riddle to cross over a bridge, and now theres three "Quathi"'s? (Is that the name? I'm sure it begins with a q.. anyway..) and they are too hard! I really can't seem to take them out at all, the best I have managed so far, is with my entire party dead, I got one to "Near Death" and the other three were fine! Is there any easy way to kill them, or am I doing something drastically wrong? I've done a lot of the other sub-quests, so my characters are well leveled, but I just can't figure this out.

On a side note, recently one of my characters died, and after searching for ages I can't find her equipment, there isn't an easy way to find it again is there?

TIA

------------------
Studders
Al Gregory
Old 06-24-2001, 11:00 AM   #2
Jim
Quintesson

I think you mean Gauth's. These are similar to beholders and can easily be taken down using spell turning. If you are on chapter two then you won't have the cloak of mirroring which makes killing beholders very easy indeed. You could buy the shield of Balduran from the woman in the adventurers mart which also reflects their damage. You could also try summoning some monsters or animals to keep them busy whilst your main fighters do the damage.

[This message has been edited by Jim (edited 06-24-2001).]
Old 06-24-2001, 11:02 AM   #3
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Hi Gregorya

I think you are referring to Gauths. There are a couple of 'methods' that I have found to beat them (and both are cheating a little, I guess). One is to get the reflection cloak (cloak of balduran, I think), this reflects the gauth's 'rays' back at them. I think this item is available if you have the bonus cd! The other way is to fireball and/or cloudkill the hell out of them. This is finally how I beat them! IMHO this was one of the toughest battles in the game

As for the equipment, I have had similar problems and had to reload b/c of it, no way I know of to find lost equipment.

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
Old 06-24-2001, 01:37 PM   #4
dulouz
Manshoon

I agree, that was a frickin tough fight. I cast all my protection spells on two characters, including giving those 2 all of my magical items like rings and such. Protection from Electricity too... It looked like that was what they flinging at my party. The problem was that they are so fast. In any case, i got lucky and beat them, leaving myself and jaheira still standing.

dulouz.
Old 06-24-2001, 01:54 PM   #5
Maever
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Another option will be to summon fire elementals to help you...
summon one or two and haste them....
then send them across the bridge....
it shld be quite easy then....
Old 06-25-2001, 12:13 AM   #6
Nerull
Lord Ao

If you have the bonus CD, then Shield of Balduran all of the way. I always buy this one before doing the Unseeing Eye quest, and keep it handy for the rest of the game. The handle beholders and gauths, all you do is move the character with the shield (just that character) about halfway between your party and the enemy, and just stand there. They will kill themselves, and you get the experience for it!
Old 06-25-2001, 12:48 AM   #7
Tananda
Elminster

The best way of dealing with these nasty beholders is Shield of Balduran, as was said here. Cloack of Mirroring is even better, but it's not available in Chapter2. The merchant that sells Shield of Balduran is in Adventurer's Mart, a woman dressed in red, Deirdre by name.
If you have no Bonus CD, I'm sure we'll be able to tell where it can be downloaded from.
Good luck!
And welcome to the board, Gregorya!

------------------
Tanda,
with best regards from Guild of Assassins

[This message has been edited by Tananda (edited 06-25-2001).]
Old 06-25-2001, 11:39 AM   #8
gregorya
Welcomed New User

Thanks for all the help everyone, I finally did it using a combination of a load of summoning spells and magic like summon insects. I might get baldurans shield anyway, even if I didn't use it this time.
oh, and thanks for all the welcomes

I gave up getting my equipment back, and just bought a new load.