Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 11-20-2001, 05:51 PM   #1
frostg1ant
Dungeon Master

The longer I hang around this board the more I believe that W&W has taken on a cultish like following!

It is a great game bugs and all. What makes this forum so unusual though is it is mostly devoid of any game-bashing. Heck even the bugs are made light of (like in the Gael Serran Examiner). Usually people would be trashing the game on other forums, but here the game is accepted (if not adored) pretty much as-is.

It is one of the few games in recent memory that keeps me coming back for more even after months of not playing it. All the little extra things in the world make it worth playing. Simple things that are too numerous to mention. Exploring these dark little coves as you are walking through the forest where you cannot see the sky overhead and a butterfly flying past you. Just those little additions that breathe life into the world.

The only game that ever kept me coming back to it again and again until I finished it was Ultima Underworld. Not to gush, but I am really enjoying the game and I hope someday there is a sequel.

Have a great holiday/weekend everyone...and thanks for the help today in Toad Village. I ended up restoring and getting the quests in Valeia before making my trek back to see Ekbu. [img]smile.gif[/img]

frosty
frostg1ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 07:50 PM   #2
Feanor
Dungeon Master

Hey, you hit the nail on the head.
There's so much detail in this game to enjoy, and all you really need to do is sit back and relaxe and play for a bit. Some of the dungeons/areas in this game are the best (and largest) I've ever seen. And the game has great replayibility.
We all hope there will be a sequel and D.W. Bradley made it sound like there will be. In a few years after he finishes his next project (the thread discussing this is probably baried a few pages down)

I think a lot of people who review games on large sites or who run the sites aren't real gamers. Of course, many large sites are trying to make a profit as well. So basically, all they do is take a best selling game from a given genre that was hyped a lot, strip what features made that game popular or essentially defined the game and made it unique, and impose those set of features on other games released in the same genre. I think they often miss out on whether the game is really fun or not and whether it set out to be what it was intended to be.
Anyways, those are my thoughts. What are yours?
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 04:43 AM   #3
choking
Elite Waterdeep Guard

just to let you know that there was a second Ultima underworld, I didn't play it much of the first one, but I agree with you, the First Ultima underworld was a great game for playablity, kept me entertained for forever, and I didn't even finish it.

On a side note, the company that made Ultima underworld is called Eidos. It went out of business last year, but the made the Thief series and System Shock series of games that had a simular interface to Ultima Underworld.
Old 11-21-2001, 06:16 AM   #4
Amaron
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I remember reading reviews for this game when it came out and I think in reality they did hit the head on the nail with it. They're complaints were mostly technical but also in the fact that this is an old school rpg that really didn't revolutionize much in their opinion. They complained about things like the npc's being to wordy (nobody will deny this) also. Compare this to something like baldur's gate 2 and it falls far short of that games greatness. All in all though I think the real reason it got shafted so much is most people don't like puzzles or having problems figuring stuff out. Puzzles can be fun but in most cases at some point sooner or later they piss someone off into quiting the game. Most likely these reviewers ran into some puzzle like that and they wanted to quit but due to it being a job they finished the game anyways giving them a slightly jaded view.

That being said I don't usually enjoy puzzles but I am loving this game because from what I've seen so far the puzzles are not rediculously thrown in where they don't belong. Yet at the same time I can sympathize with people that might of been pissed off because for instance it took me forever to see that stupid recepticle for the crystal in the crypt and that was just stupid. The way you got into the secret room though...that was so genius that it took me a while to even think of it because it wasn't like a "pull this lever then that lever then this lever" kind of puzzle.

So I guess what I'd be saying is that this game perfectly fits the definition of cultish because a lot of us just love it despite the fact that it does have obvious flaws. In fact I'd have to say part of the reason it's so charming is that it dosn't make compromises to be great. From the get go this game feels like it was made to be a certain type of game instead of something that was constantly looking for a way to be a blockbuster.

Either way heres to hoping that it does better in sales for no. 2 if Bradely manages to get it made. Im sure we can all provide great feedback if it does.

Amaron

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Amaron ]

Amaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 10:32 AM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

It's a great game!

It isn't too big and there isn't so much information that you have to hang on to that you forget from the time you started until the time you reach Cet's tomb. It's a fun world in which to move about - it's just fun moving in this game! I love swimming! I love riding the horse chasing after Erathsmedor just to watch him fly! I don't think I have never enjoyed being in a game world as much as in W&W!

Most of the bugs are either - a perk, or can be solved or avoided which is better than some of the other games I've played.

I rarely read reviews and when I do, I try to take into consideration the reviewer's biases. A good friend of mine used to write reviews for Compiter Gaming World - and I almost never agreed with her reviews. Reviewers seemed absorbed in whether or not the game brings something innovative to the game engine or other such things which often are not important to me as a player. What may be the reviewers cup of tea isn't necessarily mine. Same is true for players - what is great to one player can be a total bomb to me. BG being one of them.

Currently, I am playing Wiz 8 (not that I have time this week to do so) and while it has many interesting bits - I miss the feeling of really being in the world that I get when I play W&W. Funny how those butterflies can make so much difference!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 08:30 AM   #6
Amaron
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Choking the company Eidos dosn't actual make games they are a distributor and all they do is give money to other companies to develop games and then they publis them. Games are kinda like books in that respect. Usually one company makes them and another company does all the marketing and manufacturing etc. Also Eidios didn't make Ultima Underworld [img]smile.gif[/img] . Ultima games were distributed by Origin mostly but in this case the company named Looking Glass Studios made Theif ,System Shock and Ultima Underworld. Sadly they did go out of buisness though mostly due to some financial accounting errors made by eidios which made the money run out at the WRONG time . Oh well R.I.P. I guess [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Amaron
Amaron is offline   Reply With Quote