Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 11-12-2001, 08:24 PM   #1
Ranger
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just finished BG1 and loved it! I rushed right out to buy BG2 and saw Icewind Dale on the shelf. Hmm, what to do?

Which game is better?

As I understand it, if I purchase BG2, I'll be able to import my BG1 character and work him up to about 20th level by the end of the game. With Icewind Dale, I'll start a new character at level 1 and build him through about level 14 by the end of the game. Is this correct?

Is Icewind Dale substantially bigger that BG1? How else would I get to level 14?

I really enjoyed to storyline aspect to BG1. Does Icewind Dale follow the same format?

Do both games use the same AD&D 2nd Edition rules?

Any input would be appreciated.

Ranger
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 09:53 PM   #2
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Hi Ranger
Although IWD is similar to BG2, it is developed by Black Isle Studios, using Bioware's BG engine.

The plot line in BG2 carries on from where BG1 left off, and centres on the protagonist's adventures as he learns more about his heritage.

IWD centres on a party that you create (up to 6 max at any one time) as they embark on a "save the world from evil" type of quest.

The plot in IWD is more linear than BG2. In order to access an area you will have to complete the previous one to gain information to get to the next. There is no interaction between party members whereas in BG2 I felt that the tensions and relationships between various NPCs that you could pick up along the way added immensely to the immersion of the game.

Game mechanics wise the two games are similar. Be aware that there are subtle differences though. Both games have expansions - Throne of Bhaal (ToB) for BG2 and Heart of Winter (HoW) for IWD. In addition, there is a 2nd expansion for IWD (Trials of the Luremaster) available as a free download (73 MB). However in order to use it you must have HoW installed.

quote:
As I understand it, if I purchase BG2, I'll be able to import my BG1 character and work him up to about 20th level by the end of the game. With Icewind Dale, I'll start a new character at level 1 and build him through about level 14 by the end of the game. Is this correct?

I'm not sure about levels as it would depend on the character's class. The experience cap for BG2 (without ToB) is 2.95 million; with ToB it is 8 mil. Unfortunately I can't remember the xp cap for IWD but I beleive it is something in the region of 3 mil with HoW installed.

quote:
Is Icewind Dale substantially bigger that BG1? How else would I get to level 14?

Unfortunately I think BG2 has a bigger game world.

quote:
I really enjoyed to storyline aspect to BG1. Does Icewind Dale follow the same format?
IWD has less dialogue compared to BG2, including those wth NPCs. However there are very little "FedEx" type quests - most of what you do in the game will be relevant to the plot.

quote:
Do both games use the same AD&D 2nd Edition rules?
I beleive so, although the expansions for both games introduce elements from 3rd edition D&D. In IWD/HoW for instance theives have the option to do a sneak attack.

quote:
Which game is better?
A tough one. Personally for me BG2 gave me more "bang for the buck". If you had to choose between the 2, I'd say BG2, if only to complete the BG series. But if you can afford it, I'd recommend IWD also. It's a fine game and I'm enjoying playing it right now.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:59 PM   #3
Sir Jorlon
The Magister

Holy god, thats a lot of writing Hayashi. Well, he said everything Ranger. Didn't check, but i never did welcome you, so Welcome to the Ironworks Forum.
Old 11-12-2001, 11:39 PM   #4
Barloc
Zhentarim Guard

Bg2
Old 11-13-2001, 12:12 AM   #5
Debaser

As an all-around game, and ESPECIALLY in terms of replayability, there is no comparison.....BG 2 is KING!!!
Old 11-13-2001, 02:13 PM   #6
ronan
The Magister

I have been playing both at roughly the same time , though obviously not both at once,. BG2 really is the more rounded experience as the depth of the story and the interaction of characters lead to a game which has evolved from both BG and IWD. However if i got too annoyed with BG2 i would slip in IWD and enjoy a period of charging around killing everything in sight without too much brain strain. The fact that I finished IWD and HOW before I finished chapter 5 of BG2 I think shows that while BG2 will certainly take longer to finish and is more enjoyable as a challenge IWD is more pick-up and playable. You make your own mind up.
Old 11-13-2001, 02:20 PM   #7
Sir Byronas
Mephistopheles

I would say you buy BG2.
Old 11-14-2001, 12:30 PM   #8
Debaser

I sincerely think you should buy both games if you can. I've just come back to playing Icewind/Heart after a long hiatus (I've never beaten the game before, only gotten to the part with the towers)...I chose to scrap my old saves and just start a new party, a bunch of no-holds barred badasses. I boosted them all up to 60,000 XP right off the bat, to compensate for all the effort I had put in previously in the old party saves...(and because it SUCKS playing a 1st level party in the beginning of IWD because you get your ass creamed five ways from sunday.)
I wrote out kickass detailed bios for each party member, and I played from the beginning of the game to Kresselack's tomb all last night. I'm having a lot of fun playing the game...it's not quite BG2, but I'm really happy to have it at this juncture especially because I've played BG2 through a handful of times...Definitely a nice change.
Old 11-24-2001, 05:27 AM   #9
Too Hot
Dungeon Master

i have both and i think that bg2 is better