Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2001, 04:23 AM   #1
Warlock
Dungeon Master

Hi everyone

I emailed CocoaSpud a few days ago about having a standard file naming format for all the graphics, wall, overland and other picture files in DC. He agreed that it would be a great idea but tedious to implement (especially with the older modules).

I suggested this idea because of the large number of graphics used in DC and I thought that if we stick to a standard file name for each type of graphic used then when people make their graphics it could be interpreted quickly as a certain type of graphic and make debugging and programming a lot easier and quicker.

If anyone would like me to send them a copy of the idea I put to CocoaSpud or to post it on the forum let me know.

Cheers

Warlock
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 05:19 PM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

i think this is a good idea. i've been trying to follow the examples put forth by the default art, or if it's really long, shortening it to something still recognizable. (you know- icon_* for icons, back_* for backgrounds, etc.)

i think that standardized labeling is best forward as a guideline, and not as a rule. i.e. we should encourage it, but not castigate someone for not following it. in other words, if i've done a whole bunch of work, i don't want to go back and change the name. (because i am lazy )
manikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 08:51 PM   #3
Sir Jerome De Rouen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree aswell, I think it is a great idea, even just for your own ease of finding stuff once you have a large collection of art. I have all my art in the one directory and i use long names for them, for example: 'backdrop - village street 01a.bmp' and 'monster icon - kobold guard.bmp' etc, it makes it really easy to see what it is if the name actually means something.

Cheers, Jeremy.

------------------
The Cauldron - http://members.optusnet.com.au/~jeremy77/index.html
Sir Jerome De Rouen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 11:00 PM   #4
Warlock
Dungeon Master

For everyones info on the graphic files convention I have included a part of the email that I sent to CocoaSpud below;

> having certain name format for picture files, like big pic files would be
> called:
>
> bp_a_pic1.jpg
> cm_a_drow1.jpg
> cn_a_vala.jpg
> bo_a_fg1.jpg
>
> Where the format is as follows:
>
> bp = big picture graphics
> cm = combat Monster Icon
> cn = combat NPC Icon
> cp = combat PC Icon
> cw = combat Wall graphics
> bo = border/frame graphics
> bd = backdrop graphics
> wa = wall graphics
> dr = door graphics
> spr = sprite graphics
> spl = spell graphics
> prt = portrait graphics
>
> _ = is a space between the format conventions
>
> a = format size 640x480 b = 800x600 c = ??? d = ???
>
> bp_a_XXXX = name of picture (ie vala)
>
> then the picture file format .jpg, .png, .bmp
>
> If this file format convention was to be followed then people would be
able
> to work out what graphics are available and what they are used for. This
> would help everyone in the long run but would work out great for making
sure
> people don't over write the other files and lose tracks of the graphics
they
> have in DC.

Let me know what you guys think of this idea.

Cheers

Warlock

Old 08-15-2001, 12:51 PM   #5
CocoaSpud
Zhentarim Guard

I can (and will) rename the default artwork in the installation to match this convention, and list the conventions in the help file. It won't be enforced in any way by the editor though. It will just set an example for the default stuff.

------------------
CocoaSpud
Dungeon Craft Development Team
http://uaf.sourceforge.net
CocoaSpud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 06:29 AM   #6
CocoaSpud
Zhentarim Guard

Well, I got part of that added to DC at least. As it turns out, there is a problem with using the screen res designator. DC uses search paths to find art and sound files. The search paths differ depending on the screen res setting. If running in 1024x768 mode, then the \DefaultArt\1024 folder is searched first, the \DefaultArt. That way anything needed that is missing from the 1024 folder can be loaded from the DefaultArt folder. This system only works if the file names are the same. Adding 'a=640,b=800,c=1024' to the filename breaks this search, unless DC searches for each possibility. That is search for the 'c' version, then the 'b', etc. That could be done, but I was worried about longer load times. The more files and subfolders there are, the longer it takes to search for each file.

The rest of the naming convention is included now, and it is listed in the help file for reference.

------------------
CocoaSpud
Dungeon Craft Development Team
http://uaf.sourceforge.net
CocoaSpud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 07:07 AM   #7
Warlock
Dungeon Master

Thanks Cocoaspud for adding it in.

I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't add all of the file naming conventions in but what you had to work with is pretty good.

Cheers

Paul