Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2006, 12:28 PM   #11
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Indeed it doesn't. Although most servers have gone to server vault chars now, due to the large number of munchkins out there, there are still endless adventures to be had.

Munchkin: Chars that at early lvls have gear that you may never get at higher lvls, and they exist primarily to power game. Superman style chars, with 100% immunities to everything that can possibly happen to you in a game world, and some of these prefer player killing to actually participating in what ever is going on in the world they have landed in.

Server Vault: This simply means that the chars are stored on the server you are playing on, as opposed to on your own machine. This prevents cheating gear by making it in the toolset, and equipping your char before you go to join the world. I actually prefer the server vault to local vaults now, as you can be pretty sure that the chars you meet will not be totally munchkined out, and may actually want to party up, and run through the world as it's made, or simply sip some drinks in the tavern, virtually speaking, and chat.

It's a matter of preference there, how you like to play. If you join a roleplay server, they will expect you to become your char, instead of just chatting about current events etc. Hack and slash servers are pretty self explanatory as well, the goal is to kill as much stuff as you can, w/out being killed yourself. That is pretty appealing some days, as it is a great way to relieve tension, just kill every monster in the world you come into contact with, and blow some stress out the window. Enjoy.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #12
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Well, I am a fan of the PnP rpg's and I've played a lot of 2nd DnD with some 3rd ed thrown in. So, do you make up the char on these severs or in the game and then transfer them in?

[ 01-28-2006, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]
Old 01-28-2006, 01:48 PM   #13
Marathon
Elminster

When you choose a server vault type server, you will be prompted to create a new character when you log in. Every log-in after that you can either make a new character or continue with one you have already created. Some of these servers go by hardcore rules, making the game more or less fun depending on preference.
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:33 PM   #14
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

OK I've never done the online thing before either, partialy because I think I will enjoy it way too much. So two newbies wanted to just log on to the same server would it be possible to go through the module as two players without interferance?
I like the game, it does get a little repetetive playing the single player game, however I can see where I will have to use very different tactics depending on who I play. The two expantions are a lot better than the OC.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:17 PM   #15
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

It's usually possible to do just that. Pick a server, and go. There are some servers, like my home server, and EFU, if you catch the right people in, that will help you with stuff you may need to survive, but will usually just let you explore to your heart's content. The other nice thing is that most of the servers up are not official campaign modules, but stuff that people have either made up themselves, or downloaded and put up for play. There are way too many possibilities to even think about listing them here though.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:34 PM   #16
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Ok, but I still don't know how to find any of these and I read that stuff in the next thread and it just confused me. I've downloaded patches for this before and was told during install that I didn't need them anyway. I'd like to just try to go onto a server and see if it works.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:40 PM   #17
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

To join a game all you need to do is at your main menu click on Multi player.

It will then Log you into Gamespy and you can create a gamespy user name and password.

After that it will give you a HUGE list of Servers you can join. Z's server is called Escape from undermountain. Click on it. Log in and enjoy.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:22 AM   #18
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Ok, I'll try it.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:44 AM   #19
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Well, I seems to be in multi-player mode but I don't see any other players. I'm in a wizards home, there was an attack by Kobolds and the wizard got poisoned. Where am I? I can't remember what module I selected?
Old 02-01-2006, 04:53 PM   #20
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Ahhh you seleced the Chapter 2 module IIRC.

Did you get a big list of servers ?

To get on another persons server you do the following

1st-Place the Hordes of the Underdark disk in your computer's CD player.

2nd-NWN should start; if not then click your Icon to start NWN and press play.

3rd-When it finally gets to the window with the six options (NEW, LOAD, MULTIPLAYER, MOVIES, OPTIONS, & EXIT) Press MULTIPLAYER.

4th-Another window will open called "PLAYER LOGIN". Fill it in with player name and password or click creat account (its free) then click O.K.

5th-Another group of window boxes will appear: press "Join Internet Game"

6th-Another window will open and may start filling with hunderds of different on line NWN game mods you can join

[ 02-01-2006, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: T-D-C ]