Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2004, 02:21 PM   #21
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

First sorry for any run on sentences or miss spelled words. Not my strongest points.

Timber when "Ziroc" gets the Escape from Undermountain MOD completed and lets us down load it as A single player MOD and you if don't have cable High speed internet by then I would be more than happy to copy the MOD to DISC and send you a copy. It is possible to play the MOD on dial up just use game spy and it works fairly well. You will experience some lag but,it won't stop you from having fun.

Now as far as game play you should buy HotU when you have the extra cash but there is no big rush If you dont plan to play on-line. You can just start a game in the original NWN and get a feel of character control like Chewy stated. Once you have played for a couple hours and get a feel of battle and the use of some of the equipment, stop the game and at this time before starting SoU I would add HotU if you have it. If not, thats OK most of us didn't have HotU before we finished playing and completeing at least one game of SoU.

A little "Help Making a Character" that will hold his own in SoU & HotU.
1st I would go with a Half-Elf this way you will start off with a little extra Dexterity that will help you later in the game as well as other bonuses that the Elf part of your PC comes with.

Instead of a Playing as A Mage, try playing as A Sorcerer/Paladin. I have found that this combination is excelent in both expansions. The Paladin will give you the ability to survive in the melay portions of the games and the Paladins immunity to fear and the intense saving throw bonuses especially are great assets. Especially as A sorcerer at the lower levels as well as when you reach your full strength as a High level sorcerer. When you run out of spells it's nice to be able to pull out a +3 Bastard Sword and a shield and keep on wipping butt.
The sorcerer can cast more times a day than any Mage and Sorcerers can use any of their Memorized spells at any time without the burdin of switching spells and then have to sleep in order to use them. The down side is you only get to chose a few spells from each level, the up side of this is you are not stuck with these spells forever. Each time you level up you can change the spells you use to different or what you may consider better and more usefull spells.

Building your PC

Start by taking two levels of Paladin.
set Strength to at least 9
Both classes Primary Attribute is Chrisma.
Start your Chrisma at +14
everything else at least +9
Starting Feats = Exotic Weapon Spec and Power Attack.
Weapon Choice = Bastard Sword.
Armor Preference = Heavy suit of armor,& A good Shield
Primary Skills = Discipline

Level 3 pick Sorcerer and stay with the sorcerer everytime from now untill level 20 is acheived.
Primary Skills = Concentration,Lore,Spellcraft
Armor = One set Magic Robes
Scorcer Starting Feats = Combat casting & Toughness.
Additional Feats as the game continues = Still Spell,Empower Spell,Maximize Spall,Quicken Spell,Spell Penetration,Greater Spell Penetration.

Remember that you are wearing heavy armor at times and the armor-related chance of spell failure is a factor that why you want to keep a set of the best Magical Robes you can find in you inventory.

I hope this will help! Have fun and welcome to the world of NWN.

[ 03-27-2004, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 03-27-2004, 02:45 PM   #22
Stratos
Vampire

Half-elves doesn't get any bonuses to dexterity, only full-blood elves does. I'd rather play a human for the extra feat and skillpoints or an elf for it's bonuses. Half-elves just got the least beneficial bonuses from both races, IMHO.

Just my 2c, though.

[ 03-27-2004, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 03-27-2004, 03:23 PM   #23
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Agreed. Half-elves are actually a bad choice IMHO. I'd go for Elf or Half-Orc depending on my self-imposed prime-req.

CB, almost all mods are a pretty small download. Like I said I played on Dial-Up for a year and never had a problem. When there was lag everyone else confirmed it too, be them on broadband or dial-up. So you see, the servers bandwidth will compensate and govern the general speed of a module.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:09 PM   #24
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Your Half right Stratos.

but High Dexterity is not needed by a Sorcerer/Palidin

Half-Elf Special Abilities;
1.Immunity to sleep from all Magical sources.
2.Hardiness vs. Enchantments reflects a +2 racial bonus toward enchantment spells and effects.
3. Skill Affinity (listen) adds a +1 racial bonus on listen checks.
4.Skill Affinity (search) adds a +1 racial bonus on search checks.
5. skill Affinity (spot) adds a +1 racial bonus on spot checks.
6. Low-light vison gives creatures twice the normal range of site under minimal light conditions, while retaining their sence of color and detail.

An Elf has extra Dexterity and several useful abilities that a half-elf lacks, and a human gets extra skill points and an entire feat yet they are both locked into there own class and duel class with either of these character types have their limitations.

A role player can do anything with a half-elf, the most powerful use of the half-elf is to take the Elven advantages that are gained and apply them to a mix of classes that can use such powers. Its almost a crime not to use a Half-elf as or in a multi-class. The two greatest characters that can be used in The NWN saga by the half-elf is The rogue/fighter and the Sorcerer/Paladin not many other multi-class PC come close to their abilities types and the role playing abilities the only real downside to the Sorcerer/Paladin is powergaming goodness. That was until the second Expansion Hordes of the Underdark was released and the fallen paladin became available and now role playing has taken a turn for the better so to speak.
Quote from Wizards of the coast on the World of Neverwinter Nights and its expansions.

[ 03-27-2004, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 03-27-2004, 04:29 PM   #25
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

What The hell Does IMHO mean?
it's not reconized as one of Ironworks offical Common Acronyms I looked it up.
Since I only speek american English which is somewhat different from Irish and swedish English I don't understand. The funny part is my wife is Swedish and I'm from Irish Back ground and we both had a good laugh trying to figure it out.?????????????
Old 03-27-2004, 04:36 PM   #26
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

I know what you mean by IMHO;

I married a Horney Ogar
TheCrimsomBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 05:24 PM   #27
Chewbacca
Zartan

IMHO means "in my honest opinion"

I would favor playing as a human for the first time through, for the extra feat and skill points plus- balanced stats. Unless a desired prestige class requires a certain race, like the Arcane Archer or Dwarven Defender.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:41 PM   #28
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

You should just skip both the OC's and play Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher. Better storyline, dialogue and interaction with henchmen. Plus, the custom content is awesome (check out those dragons)
Downloading mods does require a bit of tenacity. It is my experience that 95% of the available modules are either crap, or only fun to play if you are a huge fan of hack n' slash and extremly corny dialogue. We can recommend a few good ones, though.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 10:05 PM   #29
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

IMHO! I like my idea better! in fact so much that I've done it uncountable times and they kick butt.
Every time I have made a pure human character they turn out pretty much useless cow fodder in Zirocs MOD. So I don't use Pure Human PC's in any D&D game any more. I now figure if I'm going to play a Fantasy game I'll just use a fantasy character but hey That's my way. I quit having problems with the useless Human duel class that cause me to loose constantly! And That's IMHO.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:34 PM   #30
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

THanks for the advice guys, especially Crimson Blade re online playing. I'm a druid.

Some further q's:

1. Does Ranger have required ability scores? Becuase I want to be a Ranger/Druid as I advance.

2. How do I change: (a)my character portrait, (b) my character appearance, and (c) my wolfie's name? I messed these up on character creation.

3. Where may I find additional portraits -- I'm not finding one I like w/ the game.

4. How do install those portraits?

THANKS!!!