Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2003, 09:58 AM   #31
Charlie
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by vesselle:
just to clear something up. crafting requires skill: investing points into the feat, acquiring the parts you need and the actual craft attempt. you can and do fail your crafting for any number of reasons. not enough skill, not enough gold, chance and prolly other things i know nothing about. so far with 15 points in the skill, all i can successfully accomplish is to change a few aspects of my current armor, like the neckline and arms. when i try the torso and legs, i've failed each time. and i don't have nearly enough gold or skill to design my own armor from the ground up. so far, i've made the minor part of a breastplate. but haven't acquired the skill or parts needed to make the major portion to join them into one unit.
I guess this is what I mean when I say the developers have taken the ideas from others (crafting in general) and made a kind of cheap "buy points" system of crafting in comparison to a robust actual tradeskill system developed by unpaid players from the community. I like the idea of being able to get the shall we say, exact look you're after in the system you mention though.

Quote:
Originally posted by vesselle:
OTOH dying is easy. which i think is just fine. i've dyed many clothes IRL and it's definitely NOT rocket science. read the instructions first for ratio of cloth to water, but basically it *boils down* to this:
boil water
add dye & dissolve
plop the item in
stir and boil for a set amount of time
rinse and dry
voila. a pretty darned good dye job.

but i'll tell ya, i'm glad they don't make you do all that ingame. far too tedious. [img]smile.gif[/img]

V***V
I can't help but feel that dyeing rock hard leather armour is just a tad more difficult than throwing an old tee shirt in the washing machine with a packet of dye, and as for colouring steel armours!!!! Unless of course you can only dye the mage robes etc. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
Well, It's unrealistic but so is not having to eat food in NWN's, or not having to make a campfire when you rest in the snow. Or for that matter, never going to the bathroom!
And again, in the better prepared (better prepared than the OC and SoU) mod's you do have to eat and make campfires to rest. No food no rest. And you can actually go out, kill animals, use their pelts in tailoring and cook their meat on a campfire, kind of far more realistic.
Like I say, I'm not criticising the game etc per se, just noting the differences between the attempts of the paid pro's and the far better imho from what I've read crafting systems developed by the community for free. [img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 10:48 AM   #32
Charlie
Lord Ao

These may help give you a clearer understanding of the crafting system differences.

http://nwvault.ign.com/features/inte...jo080602.shtml

http://nwn.stratics.com/content/tool...ill_system.php

EDIT. I think these are slightly dated now. The Tradeskills that I know are in place and fully functional are....

Mining
Blacksmithing
Armourcrafting
Weaponcrafting
Tailoring
Hunting
Tanning (Curing leather)
Lumberjacking
Jewelcrafting
Gemcutting
Tinkering
Alchemy
Bowyering (Bow making )
Fletching (Arrow making)

[ 12-13-2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Charlie ]
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 09:35 PM   #33
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
And again, in the better prepared (better prepared than the OC and SoU) mod's you do have to eat and make campfires to rest. No food no rest. And you can actually go out, kill animals, use their pelts in tailoring and cook their meat on a campfire, kind of far more realistic.

Yeah but that is a matter of opinion really. There are HCR mods for those who are into it but the reason the NWN's OC's aren't HCR scripted is because many people see it as inconveniencing the player in the name of reality. There is no fun in gathering sticks for a fire in a high-adventure RPG IMHO.

[ 12-15-2003, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 12-19-2003, 06:11 AM   #34
vesselle
Hathor

eeeep! i really don't like games where you gotta spend a kabillion gold and half your life making bread, sewing sleeping bags and junk like that. hadda quit UO just for that reason alone. nothing worse than swinging a pick axe on some island off the coast for real life days on end to get a pound of metal. bleah!

anyways, isn't that what craftsmen and Wally Mart are for?

hmmm. that reminds me. i think from what i've heard, that the crafting system really is designed for online worlds that want to have armourers, etc for lazy girls like me.

V***V
Old 12-19-2003, 08:26 AM   #35
MagiK

HotU in my Opinion is really great. The craft Item skill, well I can take them or leave them. I prefer to use the toolset and create my own custom equipment with unique look and feel. Had a really nice little two room mod given to me, that I have customized to meet my needs.....the onyl thing I wish I had the ability to do is to make a "permanent" home for my characters where I can bring back the artifacts I find in various mods, to put in display cases....
Like go on the OC and come back to my home, unload the stuff....go to SoU, come home and unload, go to HotU, then come home and Unload......but so far I haven't been able to figure out how to do this.

Over all HotU makes the NWN game/engine feel like a really nice finished game experience.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:07 PM   #36
Nastymann
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Spiritwarrior, I beg to differ with ya! I am playing as a mage and I have Deekin with me. At one point he wanted to talk...at the wrong time as usual, anyway I decided to talk to him and he was reluctant to say what the subject was, so I prodded him on and he said he had to take a leak. Boy, did that tickle my funny bone!!! LOL!!!

Nasty
Nastymann is offline   Reply With Quote