Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 07-10-2002, 07:59 AM   #21
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
[What sort of psionic abilities were availiable? I severely doubt that more than a quarter of all of the 2nd ed powers could be implemented.
Have all a mages spells been included in a CRPG? Or all a Bard/Thief/Rangers abilities? How many times have we used "climb walls" or "listen"?

No different with Psionics, it had about the same number as there were spells in that game.
[/QUOTE]
Old 07-10-2002, 08:34 AM   #22
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

there is a Psionic class in Wizadry 8, those that argue that Psionics class never ever apeared in any PC RPG probably never played that game.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 09:58 AM   #23
GodSlayer
Dungeon Master

I would like to see psionics in NWN, that would be nice, BUT I do believe it would have to be implemented as another magetype char.
All the special sence/detect/speak to plants and animals etc. would be very hard to use.

But most of these powers is also available to mage/priest chars in PnP (as spells), so even if they did not implement a psio. they could still make spells that did these things

Indeed the thing I miss the most is NOT ENOUGH SPELLS TO CHOOSE FROM

Note to Kakero : Psionics in Wiz 8 has nothing to do with d&d psio. In wiz 8 it's very combat oriented, and they use the same "manasource" so it was "easy" to make psio. in wiz 8.
GodSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 08:43 PM   #24
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
there is a Psionic class in Wizadry 8, those that argue that Psionics class never ever apeared in any PC RPG probably never played that game.
The Wiz 8 psionic is nothing like a 2nd edition AD&D psionic. A 2nd edition AD&D psionic can, with a lot of luck, make intelligent weapons that can use psionics. Disentigrate, blow up inanimate objects, create iron weapons from metal dust, talk to plants, use telepathy, teleport and so on.....

What balances the Psionic is that:

#1: He does NOT have all these powers at once, he gains them slowly.

#2: He CAN fail when using a power and they can even backfire and strike him instead of his foes.

#3: He has a limited amount of points for using these abilities per day.

What makes the Psionic special:

#1: Almost all of his abilities can be improved with a bit of creative thinking. Whereas a mage's magic missile will always do the same damage.

#2: Without a bit of creative thinking the Psionic is often useless.

#3: A lot of his powers can NOT be duplicated by any mage, sorcerer or cleric.

#4: He has few to none directly damaging powers depending on his level, intelligence is required to make those that he DOES have deal damage.

What prevents the Psionic from being implemented in a CRPG properly:

#1: Telekinesis and most psychokinetic powers would be able to affect almost all parts of the world. Everything in the world would have to be made affectable by it, possible on a comp? I think not.

#2: Psychoportation(Movement) powers would be able to bring you to a lot of places and do lots of stuff. But a lot of them requires the DM's judgement that a computer simply CAN NOT bring into play.

#3: Telepathic, see #2

#4: Psychometabolic, same thing as #2 and #1. You'd be able to change so many things that only the DM could decide....

#5: To handle all of the previous points the psionic would need some pure damage powers to make up for the less of flexibility, then what do we have? Another damn mage.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 08:46 PM   #25
Neb

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
[What sort of psionic abilities were availiable? I severely doubt that more than a quarter of all of the 2nd ed powers could be implemented.
Have all a mages spells been included in a CRPG? Or all a Bard/Thief/Rangers abilities? How many times have we used "climb walls" or "listen"?

No different with Psionics, it had about the same number as there were spells in that game.
[/QUOTE]That's because a CRPG is mainly combat-oriented, and a psionic really isn't. His skill is in avoiding combat or weakening foes in combat to aid his partymembers. We can't just remove all of a psionic's unprogrammable powers, because that'd remove about 90% of them. And what he'd be left with would make him like a weak thief/cleric. If not worse.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:47 PM   #26
Neb

Quote:
Originally posted by DraconisRex:
Arguing over Psionics? 1. It's in the supplements. 2. Psionics, prior to 3E sucked as a psionicist just another game-imbalancing Uber-character. Like the original Monk and all those Oriental Adventurer characters. Kensai... What a ludicrous class, I could rant for hours...
Tell me, Draconis, how are psionics "uber"?
Old 07-10-2002, 09:08 PM   #27
theifprowess
Drizzt Do'Urden

oh oh oh oh oh. i sense or feel some cat fights coming in on this thread may be worth sittin back and enjoy watching this one [img]tongue.gif[/img] . cause other than that i have no friggin clue what you guys are talking about.
theifprowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 09:11 PM   #28
Neb

Sorry, I just get a little pissy when people are saying stuff about my favorite class that I consider untrue [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2002, 06:14 AM   #29
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Besides its all pointless. We all know the monk is the best class [img]tongue.gif[/img]
caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 10:00 AM   #30
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

I'm with you on this one Neb, There's a reason I always run a Dark Sun campaign at home.