Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 09-29-2002, 08:38 PM   #1
Nerull
Lord Ao

I've been having problems with Grimgnaw and getting him to bash open chests. Up to this point in chapter 1, any time I try to open a locked chest he would jump right in and bash the chests. Since he does energy damage with his attacks, this allowed me to bash open any chest.

However, he has stopped bashing now. Instead of saying, "it is as certain as death itself," he just stands there and states, "it cannot be done." I went and got the most recent patch, kicked him out and added him back, etc. Nothing helps.

Anyone else have this problem with Grimgnaw or another NPC? How did you solve it? I'm going to keep playing with the game to see if I can make him bash chests again.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 12:44 PM   #2
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I don't carry Grimgnaw, but when Tomi or the Bard say that, it means it's beyond their ability to open. They know it and won't even try.

Maybe these chests are beyond Grimgnaw's ability to destroy.

[ 09-30-2002, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 09-30-2002, 01:53 PM   #3
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
I don't carry Grimgnaw, but when Tomi or the Bard say that, it means it's beyond their ability to open. They know it and won't even try.

Maybe these chests are beyond Grimgnaw's ability to destroy.
After he does that, I turn around and bash it myself with no problems. I thought that was the problem at first, but he says that about stuff he and I both have an easy time bashing. I even tried talking to him to change him to not helping me, then back again (no effect). That's why I'm a little perplexed about it; it makes no sense. One of his advantages is that his fists do energy damage (allowing him to bash those chests the others can't, which allows me to wait a while to get energy arrows or weapons that do energy damage). I'm only in Chapter 1 with this guy, but I'd hate to have to start over (and you never know if the bug will come back).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 09-30-2002, 02:12 PM   #4
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I'm not really sure what to say. The only similar problem I had was with Tomi and the bard. Occassionally before the 1.24 patch, when I would fail to open a lock, instead of them trying to pick the lock they attacked it. I just saved and reloaded to solve the problem.

Are you using a magical +1 weapon yet? It seems like some of the locked items are impervious to normal weapons. Maybe that's it. Easy for you to bash with a +1 weapon, but the monk's fists aren't considered "magical" weapons for purposes of hitting yet. I know they become "magical" at higher lever (I played one all the way through BGII SOA & TOB), but I think that's getting into the double digit levels.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:22 PM   #5
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
I'm not really sure what to say. The only similar problem I had was with Tomi and the bard. Occassionally before the 1.24 patch, when I would fail to open a lock, instead of them trying to pick the lock they attacked it. I just saved and reloaded to solve the problem.

Are you using a magical +1 weapon yet? It seems like some of the locked items are impervious to normal weapons. Maybe that's it. Easy for you to bash with a +1 weapon, but the monk's fists aren't considered "magical" weapons for purposes of hitting yet. I know they become "magical" at higher lever (I played one all the way through BGII SOA & TOB), but I think that's getting into the double digit levels.
I wish that was it; I can bash some of them open with regular arrows, but he still won't bash them if I try to open it. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait until I hit 6th level to get into some of the chests (that's when I can use the Stonefire Greataxe).
Old 09-30-2002, 02:26 PM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
quote:

I wish that was it; I can bash some of them open with regular arrows, but he still won't bash them if I try to open it. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait until I hit 6th level to get into some of the chests (that's when I can use the Stonefire Greataxe).[/QUOTE]I just started using that ax [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I've been carrying it around forever though. I didn't realize upgrading it would make it unusable until 6th level. It was a good lesson to learn though. Now I always save before upgrading.

I hope someone else can help with your Grimgnaw problem.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:57 AM   #7
Mirror Image
Manshoon

When I have used Grim (which is both a shortening of his name and his character) the only time I have had him use the words "it can not be done" was when I asked him to heal my character. Tomi when he finds a chest he can't disarm says "no can do". Liu is just plain polite. When my henchmen have found chests they can't bash (and this includes the red tiger), they usually say something obnoxious. Liu even goes into Elven and then promptly apologies. The only thing I can think of is that your character is between them and the chest and they can't reach it. By the way Tomi and the bard just pick the locks, I have yet to see them bash any chests. Finally, why bother, the best way to open a trapped locked chest is a magic missile (of course my characters are sorcerers).
Mirror Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 07:20 PM   #8
Stratos
Vampire

I haven't have this happening to me personally so I don't know exactly what it can be, but are you sure you don't have him in Follow Mode or anything similar? Or anything that makes him do something that he can't do instead of bashing chests. Check his Character sheet and see if he's still wearing his gloves. Maybe they are somehow un-equipped.

At level 10 Monks get the Ki Strike which means that their hands are considered +1 weapons when it comes to eating through damage resistance. If I were to make a guess about the problem, I would say that you're trying to hit a chest which have so high damage resistance that you need a +1 weapon to punch trough. Where as you are able to hit the chest the henchman refuses if he/she doesn't have a +1 weapon equipped. Now that I think about it, I remember I have had this problem myself. When you hit the chest; does a message, saying that you can't damage it with your current weapon, pop up in yellow in the text bar at the bottom of the screen? If so it might be the case that Grimgnaw doesn't have a magical weapon yet so he wont attack the chest. Try with another henchman who does have a +1 weapon and see if that's help.

Finally, do you have the sáme problem with all chests or just a few?
Old 11-10-2003, 07:24 PM   #9
Nerull
Lord Ao

Just a few, so probably your suggestion is right on the money. I figured if he had energy gloves he would attack it anyway, since the gloves can damage the chest. But since his main damage can't hurt the chest, then he just says he can't do it. It must be the way the NPCs are programmed.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:03 AM   #10
Stratos
Vampire

Well you can damage a chest with damage resistance, you just have to punch through it. Sometimes only a critical hit deals any damage at all. But it seems that the henchmen are programmed not to hit if they don't have the required enchantment bonus on their weapons.