Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-11-2003, 10:16 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

What kind would you choose? Dell, Hewlitt Packard, Compaq, etc.?
And please in your answers, if you could keep the cost under $1200, monitor not required, but will be accepted as a bonus

Just curious to see what others would choose. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 12-11-2003, 11:19 PM   #2
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

how about I tell you one not to buy? I have a hewlitt packard pavilion xt973, and have had nothing but trouble with it. it has had to be restored at least twice a month since we bought it 2 years ago, it is old I know, but the computer is a peice of junk, has trouble finding the cd drive half the time, another reason for the restore, besides the fact that it is just a really bad machine, lol, did i mention I hate my computer at times?
Old 12-11-2003, 11:41 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Another one that the world knows not to own is the Compaq. They make great handheld pocket notebooks, but their PCs are the lowest level of quality there is.

Sorry, I have only ever owned 2 PCs.
One built by my friend and the other built by me.

I doubt I would ever own a namebrand, unless it was Alienware.

[ 12-11-2003, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 12-11-2003, 11:46 PM   #4
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

HP Pavilions are POSs (as are Compaq Presarios); we used to have one a few years back. I think pretty much any system not custom built is more or less non-upgradable. That was the problem we had with the Pavilion. My mom has an HP notebook, and that machine is pretty awesome.

If I had to, and I mean building my own or buying one from Alienware were completely out of the question, I would probably get a Dell [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2003, 11:53 PM   #5
cazzie
Dungeon Master

Toshiba n dell are pretty good as well as ummm an aussie one which ive forgotten [img]smile.gif[/img] hope it helps
Old 12-12-2003, 08:00 AM   #6
WillowIX
Apophis

Are you buying a new computer LadyZ? I would go for a "home built" one instead. Of course you wouldn't build it, rather a small independant shop would. You tend to get more for your money in such shops and you get to choose most of the things they put in there. [img]smile.gif[/img] I have a hubby biult computer myself. If that's not an option I'd probably go for a Dell. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2003, 08:49 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

We have Dell's in my office and I bougth a Gateway several years ago for home. We used to get them in the office too. I think they switched for the price- Dell is on contract or something.

I strongly echo the "don't buy Compaq or HP" advice. I've had friends get totally frustrated with those brands.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:50 AM   #8
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

custom made for me.. thats how i did it in my first computer all the way until now

Catch me if you can..
Old 12-12-2003, 09:05 AM   #9
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

We've always used Dells here, and so far we have not been dissapointed [img]smile.gif[/img] I also bought an IBM a few years ago, which was a solid computer as well.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:57 PM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

My first pc was an IBM and very reliable. Only tossed it when I couldn't upgrade enough to use some of the more sophisticated software.