Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2002, 07:28 PM   #1
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Saz's techie help desk thread is getting way too long which makes it difficult for new players to find answers. I really do not feel qualified to try and condense the information into a shorter, more useful thread. Would any of you, individually or as a group, be willing to help with the creation of a new Techie Thread that covers the most commonly known problems?

ood idea? Easier to just answer the individual problems as they show up on the board? I'm completely open. I would like your advice!
I thought perhaps we could use this thread to plan its creation (presuming you are interested and have the time).

Thanks, Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 07:57 PM   #2
WillowIX
Apophis

I was actually thinking about that earlier today. Iīve got an idea about it. Something like (quote)The problem goes here(quote)And then the copied answer to the problem. And first an index post like in the best tip thread. How does that sound?

ps. If thatīs ok Iīll start that tomorrow. It should probably be a 50 post thread..

Click me plz

[ 07-23-2002, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 07-22-2002, 08:27 PM   #3
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

It Definately needs a trim.

Being that I've never had any problems with the game, I can always just stop reading, when it gets too much.... But some people who are having trouble, must feel like their panning for gold.

It also might be a good idea to include a short checklist of 'easy to overlook' items and/or 'Well known Problems', at the begining of the thread.

[ 07-22-2002, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Packrat ]
Old 07-22-2002, 11:26 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I concur (on many levels), and I'd be happy to help out.

I think an initial index post would be a good thing, and that this initial post should *not* be made by Wyvern. Why? Well, we all know our fair lady can edit any post as a mod. In order to offset the task of maintaining the index, someone else should be able to edit it.

I was going to suggest a second post as a bump post (to be reduced, reused, and recycled), but that leaves only one person besides Wyvern to edit that. So nix that idea, and go with WillowIX's idea to add and then delete bump posts.

Third, I like putting the basic stuff first, followed by the more esoteric things. That way, hopefully someone will be able to get what they need on the first few posts (and can use the index, too!).

Fourth, let's add a "basic info to post" post -- what are the basic things a poster should include in their initial post so that we can skip the "okay, now what OS are you running" steps. This grew out of Packrat's Checklist suggestion, which I also think is a good thing.

And I like the layout of [quote]problem[unquote] followed by a resolution. How about if the first line of the Problem is as close to a one-sentence description as possible? That will make it easier to review, and easier to index as well.

Sixth, let's open a bottle of Dwarven Stout Ale to lubricate our pipes before beginning such strenuous activity.

Other thoughts?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:07 AM   #5
WillowIX
Apophis

I totally agree with Bungleau. THat would make a thread thatīs easy to search through! Iīll give an example of how I visioned it.
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 08:05 AM   #6
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

May be there should be 2 threads. 1 thread that starts with a general pointer and a few basic 'How to _____' tips.

Example:

If the problem started late in the game, see #1
If .....from install, see #2

#1) 'How to check System Resources;'

In WIN 98/ME....Right click 'My computer' -> click 'Properties' -> click 'performance'
In WIN 2K/XP....
...Note; If system resouces are below XX%, you have too many programs running...etc.

'How to free up resources'
(other ideas)

#2) See ( thread name )

then on thread #2;

"If you can not find a solution to your problem in the following topics....etc". followed by a note on 'How post,...What info to include and where to get it;

98/ME....Start -> Run -> (type) dxdiag.exe -> OK ->
2K/XP.....

On the 'System' screen, record the following; CPU...etc
On the 'Display' screen, .....Video card Model, Last 4 digits of driver version..

[ 07-23-2002, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Packrat ]
Packrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 08:44 AM   #7
WillowIX
Apophis

Hmmm, that could be tricky. Perhaps it could be one tech thread and one with general "how to dos"? For instance a thread on how to use virtualdub, increase swap etc. and then one of pure problems like black screen at startup, canīt enter buildings. You then give the link in the tech thread and the instructions on how to use them (if there are such) is in another? But that would be like the best tip thread wouldnīt it? Couldnīt we remake the tech tread to a database? Look at my thread tech help. We post tech problems as individual threads and then when theyīre solved we add them to the database so we can access them easily. We would then get a small tech thread that wouldnīt increase in size too much. And if we index that one itīd be easy to find the info. The "a name" tag didnīt work unfortunately. Does anyone know a way to link to individual posts within a thread? LOL my fingers itches, I really want to get started with this.

And to add, good idea about including what should be posted packrat . We could add the remove bump request as well to that.

[ 07-23-2002, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 07-23-2002, 09:28 AM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Bless all of you!!!

I find it sort of ironic that as the number of players actually dwindles there is an increase need for some good techie answers. Of course, this is the result of more players using the newer OS(esesess)and video cards. As far as I know, this is the only place that really tries to help players get their games to run correctly (we know Activision doesn't care).

I have no problems doing whatever editing you need me to do to keep the new thread as useful and organized as possible. I have of late been overwhelmed with work for the Border Collie Rescue but I always stop in here many times a day and will happily do whatever updates are needed.

A Best TECHIE Tips which covers all the known problems and solutions could easily be bumped up (eventually Ziroc was supposed to reinstall the sticky post app which would eliminate the need for bumping, I'll ask him about it). As new problems are brought to light and solved, they could be replaced with a new permanent post within the thread.

Does that sound workable?

Wyv
Old 07-23-2002, 09:31 AM   #9
WillowIX
Apophis

Yes thatīs what I think is best. The only problem now is; where do you post your new tech Q:s? Should we have them spread out or make a new thread where to post them. When there are some new answers we add them to the tech data base. Or should we have them spread out oveer the board?
Old 07-23-2002, 09:55 AM   #10
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

What I was thinking is they post them in that thread if they are really NEW/different problems, once solved, one of you wonderful techie folks writes up a new explanation of the problem and solution and I delete the player's post stating their problem and the replies it took to find the solution.