Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-11-2003, 11:59 PM   #1
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

Once again ive gone and wounded meself
Sooo anyhow,
Ive read a whole bunch of medical journal type reports that all basically say if the cut is 'gaping' then youll probablu be better off with stitches rather than using a dermabond type adhesive.

So umm....what happens to cuts that are left gaping with no stiches and no dermabond? they will still heal right?

ill prolly order the dermabond stuff online but itll take a few days to get here and so the wound will already be in the process of healing. wish i could find it in the darn pharmacy; didnt see it in any of the supermarket sections.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:06 AM   #2
spydar

I think stitches are mainly the cleanest way of doing it, for both sanitary adn esthetic reasons. obviously if you get stitches the wound is cleaned and tightly sealed. plus the scar will probably be much smaller and less noticable.
But I've never used the dermabond stuff so I'm not sure how that'll work.

If you live in canada, and yay public health care, get stitches. if you live in the states then maybe it'd be cheaper to go the dermabond way. being a canadian, I haven't the slightest idea what stitches would cost minus health care and/or blue cross.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:22 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Never underestimate the power of a simple band-aid... Depending on where and how big your cut is, that may be an easy answer.

If it's large, then consult your doctor or a med center.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:06 AM   #4
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

I could always tell you a way to make it heal faster, but it is a bit painful, and only those who have gone through it, or is in the medical profesions know exactly how it is done properly.....

first off, get you some steril water, make some if nothing else, using 1 teaspoon alcohol, 2 teaspoons salt, and 2 cups water, boil, while letting the water cool, take a long roll of gauze, unroll dependin on the size of cut, enough to fill the cut up, dip the bandage in water, then starting from one end of the wound, pack the bandage as far up into the edges of cut as you can without tearing it open....(hey it is a real procedure [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) after the wound is packed, then take dry bandages and place on top...of course this could be a little extreme, seeing as how you probably do not have a huge laceration, and only require a small amount of band aids
Old 12-12-2003, 08:04 AM   #5
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
So umm....what happens to cuts that are left gaping with no stiches and no dermabond? they will still heal right?
It makes it much more likely you'll get a big scar. You'll also run an increased chance of infection or other complications.