Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 05-28-2001, 08:05 PM   #1
w6u6f
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok, I am going after a Beholder. I didn;t know what to expect. Got smoked. A whole bunch of times. So I search the forum for help on killing the beholder. Everyone's talking about a shield or a cloak of mirroring. I have neigher. Also I don't want to go all the way back and get one. I was wondering if there are any mage spells that have the smae reflecting power?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 05-28-2001, 08:11 PM   #2
Lord Shield

You need neither. Send summoned creatures after it but remain out of sight. For some reason, most beholders don't zap at summoned critters

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp

Old 05-28-2001, 09:21 PM   #3
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

The cloak of mirroring cannot be found until much later in the game so don't count on that one.

PS: The shield of balduran is your best bet: can be bought from the adventurer's mart with the bonu CD installed.

------------------

Greetings Mortals. My Name Is Wah, Arch Lich Wah.
Old 05-28-2001, 09:24 PM   #4
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
You need neither. Send summoned creatures after it but remain out of sight. For some reason, most beholders don't zap at summoned critters

MENU

Toasted Wyverns

Pickled Kobolds

Charred Hobgoblins

(the list goes on..........)

Yes, they DO zap summoned creatures sadly. But use a Skeleton Warrior conjured by a powerful mage (15th level + over) since it has magic resistance and it WILL survive (hopefully)

------------------

Greetings Mortals. My Name Is Wah, Arch Lich Wah.

[This message has been edited by Wah (edited 05-28-2001).]
Old 05-28-2001, 09:27 PM   #5
Kerlyssa
Manshoon

There IS a spell that reflects missiles and magic missiles...I don't know if it works on other spells. The reflecting cloak is evil on spellcasters, though...walked into the beholder den and they killed themselves. =D
Old 05-29-2001, 06:51 AM   #6
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

Those things are best attacked one at a time. If you're in a Beholder lair, you would do well to lure them back into an ambush individually, and save after each victory. If you cannot beat even one, you should give consideration to consuming whoop-ass potions and using wands, etc.
Old 05-29-2001, 07:29 PM   #7
DeTRiTiC-iQ
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I almost regretted the Unseeing Eye quest with a high level party, i wasn't prepared for the battle after the riddle bridge that usually only involves a couple of Gauths
Old 05-30-2001, 03:32 AM   #8
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Well against a single beholder, you want to rush and hit it with everything you have. It can't really hurt you good unless one of those irritating stoning or death rays hit you. its cause wounds etc is more annoying than damaging. Use Melee weapons and hit it full speed and hope no one is unlucky to get hit by one of its stronger rays.
Now, the beholder lairs in the underdark area. I was in trouble there early on, i got killed pretty easy until I adjusted my tactics. My little old mage took them most out, go figure, after i got a great stragegy going.
I loaded up my mage with all summoning, magic missiles, fireballs, and area spells like cloudkill, acid cloud, etc.
Now, I went to the edge of a beholder room, so i can just see the edge of it. All my other characters were back at the entrance, i didn't use them for alot of it. I cast a area spell into the edge of the room, like a cloudkill. I had on boots of speed, so i ran back a little back, and cast another area spell were i was just standing at, ran back, cast another, etc. What this did was put up a virtual wall of damaging area spells between the approaching beholders and my team at the entrance. Beholders actually chase you all the way, so I just sat back with my other team members in the starting room, and watched the beholders die and take damage. Most of the time they died long before reaching me, or were seriously damaged when they did appear in the last room, my summoned monsters easly killed them. The mage summon spider spell works extremely well, those sword spiders really knock down the enemy.
The rest of the party with archers picked off lone beholders that approached. My hidden thief helped spot them and run back to get everyone ready. This approach worked well also with mindflayers, but they were more magic resistant so they didn't die as easy, even with a half dozen cloudkills up around them.