Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2001, 10:24 AM   #1
hammermd
Elite Waterdeep Guard

http://www.gamereviewonline.com/wiz8review.shtml

enjoy...

Mark
hammermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 10:26 AM   #2
hammermd
Elite Waterdeep Guard

crap...now the site is dead...wth? Oh,well...keep trying, it's there...
hammermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 01:58 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Man! An overall rating of 99!! I can't believe it..and this is from REVIEWERS!!

Since their server is acting sticky, I'll replicate the scores they gave the game here:

Graphics: 93
Gameplay: 99
Build Quality: 99
Sound: 93
Lasting Appeal: 99
Overall Rating: 99

Only thing I disagree with is this sentence:

"However, since Wizardry 8 is a RPG game that plays like a First Person shooter it would be safe to assume that the controls are different from traditional RPG's, and they are."

EXCUSE ME??? Wizardry 8 IS based on the traditional RPG's...the Bioware Infinity Engine is the one that departed from the norm on that. Even the older Forgotten Realms SSI goldbox games used the First-person view, as does Pool of Radiance II. GRRRR I HATE reviewers who think that the only true RPG's out there are the Black Isle games...makes me want to punch their freakin' faces in!!!

Other than that, I'm quite satisfied with the review.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 12:59 AM   #4
Dajjer
The Magister

I'm not surprised that a lot of people like this game. First person RPGs, when well done, totally envelop you. Wizardry 1 blew people away when it came out and now with new computing power available Wizardry 8 is doing the same thing.
Dajjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 04:06 AM   #5
Moni

I am very happy that it got such an excellent review!
It really deserved it! It deserved better!
I can hear it now "Wizardry 9? Wizardry 9? Wizardry 9?"
Old 11-25-2001, 04:29 AM   #6
Balgin
Elminster

Well, when it gets over here their sales should increase by at least one (if not more).
Old 11-26-2001, 07:12 PM   #7
Amaron
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Saz you can't really say that first person = old school. I might not be a huge fan of the ultima games but unless I'm off my rocker nearly all of them (excluding ultima underworld) were 3rd person back then. Most of them were full top down. Also yes many of the gold box games were 1st person but many of them were 3rd person as well. Also I think it'd be off to say the black isle games deviated from the norm. If my memory serves me everyone thought that rpg's were dead and it was becoming very rare to find them on the shelves then Diablo came out and all the sudden it was like "RPG's back". Course you might say Diablo wasn't an RPG because it deviated so much [img]smile.gif[/img] . Either way I'm going on to much I think the reviewer meant to say that Wizardry has a very interesting take on turn based play in 3d that is very unique. He's just an idiot and had to think of it in terms Quake and use words like fps because his brain is hardwired to think that 3d = fps.

Frustrates me though that they let these dolts write reviews without having a proper history on computer games. I bet the revier hasn't even heard of mule [img]smile.gif[/img] .

I gotta say though I still don't get why some of the older players don't like the bioware games so much though I think it's a shame . From the way I always looked at it bioware fighting was like finally having the wizardry phased turn system w/ a top down view. You'd hit the space bar (pause) issue your orders then let the fight happen for a few then pause and issue new orders and repeat. Same thing happened with my dad. He felt it was too frantic till I pointed out that pressing the space bar constantly makes it the same as a turn based game with better animation then he loved it. Oh well heres to hoping that people like Never Winter Nights ok that game will be delicious.

Amaron
Amaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 10:52 AM   #8
Dan Speziale
Dungeon Master

This is great! I'm glad it got such a high score.

I wouldn't sweat it about the reviewer's point, either. Personally, I remapped my keys right away using the WASD movement keys and it's not that difficult to do. I'm used to playing FPS, but I prefer this game much more.

It's so much more immersive than an isometric perspective is! I do not fault the Bioware games at all and I think that they are wonderful. I'm just so thankful for Wizardry 8.

Sure wish there could be a sequel, though.

Positive reviews are awesome. Bring 'em on!

Dan
Dan Speziale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 02:07 AM   #9
spoon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Amaron:
Saz you can't really say that first person = old school. I might not be a huge fan of the ultima games but unless I'm off my rocker nearly all of them (excluding ultima underworld) were 3rd person back then. Most of them were full top down.

Naw akalabeth and ultima 1,2,3 (and 4 cant remember right now) had first person dungeons, 1st person for towns are world.

Anyone remember Akalabeth w'out color? the gelatinous cube look EXACTLY like any other corridor space lol

Hang on... it was 2 and 3 as well right? Time I cracked out my Ultima Collection CD

IMO 1st person makes for a better RPG game... you actually get more of a feel for it - and its harder to make it a rpg/strat game (DIEEEEEEEEEE BG/BG2)
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote