Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-18-2004, 05:58 AM   #21
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
<3 what does that mean?

Oh, and maybe you should remane yourself to "Def" Prophet?
A heart? There must be a better icon for a heart?!

Don't take me too harshly on the music thing. But I really do find that acid rock stuff to be bad noise. There just doesn't seem to be any talent involved. And the problem I have with Heavy Metal is, there always seems to be than Satanic aspect to it. Iron Maiden, Ozzy, you know. Striper is the only acception I know of, but then they are Christian.
[/QUOTE]Yeah, and we all know only Christians can make good music! Right? Right... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

With all due respect (seriously), you have not an inkling what you're talking about, I'm afraid. Firstly, you are mixing up completely different styles. Acid rock? [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] Heavy metal and hardcore are not at all the same thing. You're also way off on the "Satanic" thing. Without even going into the fact that for the bands who DO dabble with the occult, it's just an image, a way to rile up people like you and to add a dark little edge to their music, I have to ask whether it really matters what someone believes in in order to appreciate their music. I didn't think so. And as for your remark about the lack of talent in metal/hardcore bands, I am not sure whether to laugh or roll my eyes in contempt - I think I did both simultaneously and it wasn't a pretty sight. I would REALLY like to see you play just a few bars of any song by, oh, Meshuggah, Cynic, Queensryche or The Mars Volta (none of which, I'm afraid, are "satanic" bands, so you can't hide behind that excuse either ). No talent? Are you kidding me? Some of the most inventive, complex and difficult music is being made under the banner of "Metal". Again, I'd advise you to attempt to learn just a tiny bit more about a subject before you start talking, next time.
This impassioned and heartfelt rant, by the way, was brought to you by someone who spends 90% of her music-listening time adoring classical music. You know, the kind with the Christian masses and violiny goodness? Can't say I'm a brainless metal fan whose brains have long ago dribbled out of my ears from all the "noise".
Old 12-18-2004, 06:07 AM   #22
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

Going against my word, i checked the thread again. And yay, someone agrees that metal is skilled People like Herman Li (from dragonforce) is an AWSOME guitarist But, back onto the death metal front, You try singing like Shagrath,(dimmu borgir)
I'll bet you ANYTHING you can't. And he CAN sing normally, i don't mean in the songs where there is a different voice to his,becuase that's their bassist, 'Vortex'. I've seen a video of him live actually singing, he is brilliant. In my opinion, Dimmu Borgir, are the best death metal band, and one of the few DEATH metal bands i actually like.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:16 AM   #23
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Yeah, and we all know only Christians can make good music! Right? Right...

With all due respect (seriously), you have not an inkling what you're talking about, I'm afraid. Firstly, you are mixing up completely different styles. Acid rock? [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] Heavy metal and hardcore are not at all the same thing. You're also way off on the "Satanic" thing. Without even going into the fact that for the bands who DO dabble with the occult, it's just an image, a way to rile up people like you and to add a dark little edge to their music, I have to ask whether it really matters what someone believes in in order to appreciate their music. I didn't think so. And as for your remark about the lack of talent in metal/hardcore bands, I am not sure whether to laugh or roll my eyes in contempt - I think I did both simultaneously and it wasn't a pretty sight. I would REALLY like to see you play just a few bars of any song by, oh, Meshuggah, Cynic, Queensryche or The Mars Volta (none of which, I'm afraid, are "satanic" bands, so you can't hide behind that excuse either ). No talent? Are you kidding me? Some of the most inventive, complex and difficult music is being made under the banner of "Metal". Again, I'd advise you to attempt to learn just a tiny bit more about a subject before you start talking, next time.
This impassioned and heartfelt rant, by the way, was brought to you by someone who spends 90% of her music-listening time adoring classical music. You know, the kind with the Christian masses and violiny goodness? Can't say I'm a brainless metal fan whose brains have long ago dribbled out of my ears from all the "noise".
Haha! Sarah, I love you so goddam hard! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2004, 06:25 AM   #24
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGodThatFailed:
Going against my word, i checked the thread again. And yay, someone agrees that metal is skilled People like Herman Li (from dragonforce) is an AWSOME guitarist But, back onto the death metal front, You try singing like Shagrath,(dimmu borgir)
I'll bet you ANYTHING you can't. And he CAN sing normally, i don't mean in the songs where there is a different voice to his,becuase that's their bassist, 'Vortex'. I've seen a video of him live actually singing, he is brilliant. In my opinion, Dimmu Borgir, are the best death metal band, and one of the few DEATH metal bands i actually like.
Erm, I wouldn't call Dimmu death metal though. Even though "true" fans would probably disagree, to me Dimmu is pure black metal (although I haven't kept up with their latest efforts, label may not apply to those). But most people who are actually in the Norwegian scene aren't as anal about "trueness" as their fans. Oh and Shagrath.. I met him a few times. He's a nice guy. Don't think his voice is truly that stunning: here the classical fan in me has to concede that Jochen Kowalski's or Andreas Scholl's countertenors are more impressive than anything Shagrath could ever do. But then that's a crooked comparison, so I'll grant you that Shagrath has a good throat on him. And he's kinda hot too.

Aaron, how hard exactly would that be...? [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2004, 06:30 AM   #25
Blunderbuss
Zhentarim Guard

And to think: this whole arguement/discussion was started by a clip of a man dressed up as Santa. He really is an evil man.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:35 AM   #26
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Ok guys, relax. You both know that there is a lot of trash music out there. Lots of rip offs! I wasn't mixing up the types of music either but maybe you couldn't see that in my thread.

..and if you're going to post a topic expect that there may be some differences of opinion and if it's a problem, don't post at all.

Yes, my post was generalizing and that was wrong, but you gotta admit there's a lot of bad music out there today and not just the mentioned genres.
I think our standards have really lowered.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:38 AM   #27
Melusine
Dracolisk

LOL, sure, wriggle yourself out of it. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
What you said WAS a huge generalisation and it's kinda lame to back out by saying that of course you only meant the "bad" bad music instead of conceding my, you have to admit, well-made points.

Quote:
..and if you're going to post a topic expect that there may be some differences of opinion and if it's a problem, don't post at all.
Same goes to you. If you post something generalising and untrue, expect to be called out on it. If you can't handle that, don't post it. I am 100% relaxed - I couldn't care less what you think about any kind of music. But when I see someone spouting gross misconceptions about it, I'm only too happy to educate them.
Soo, no one's not relaxing here, it's all good. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2004, 06:52 AM   #28
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Ok, so name a few "good" hardcore, acid rock, metal and whatever you call it, bands which you think are good, and which you think are bad and why.

And I'm not backing out of anything, it's just if they all sound the same then how can I distinguish talent?

Sometimes I just post too fast without reading it over and it doesn't come out the way I want. I've had that condition for most of my life. That's why most of my posts have edits on them.

(did it again)

[ 12-18-2004, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]
Old 12-18-2004, 07:17 AM   #29
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Erm, I wouldn't call Dimmu death metal though. Even though "true" fans would probably disagree, to me Dimmu is pure black metal (although I haven't kept up with their latest efforts, label may not apply to those).
More of a bit sympho-black now, but definitely still black. Don't really like it though one of those songs is really good, something with great apocalypse or something.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:31 AM   #30
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

So hard you'll be walking funny for weeks Sarah [img]smile.gif[/img]