Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-19-2004, 01:15 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The technition that was to install my digital phone and give me a new modem from Time Warner came today, and screwed alot of stuff up. He disconnected my router to get a connection to the net, then never reinstalled it. He also turned off several of my utilities, telling me I had too much spyware onboard and I should learn how to clean that stuff out. (You guys know I am well aware of what I have and don't have on my PC). He also left the phone box open outside in the rain and never hooked my home security system back up right, so now I have to call ADT to come out and fix that for a $75.00 fee.

I tried to hook my router up myself, as it is no big deal, but that killed the new modem! I unhooked it again and tried to reset the modem but to no avail. What was worse, the modem's death brought about the death of the phone, so I had to walk down the street to the first house of my neighbors that actually has a phone...(the closest one burned down yesterday morning, so I had to walk further...), and call them to come back out. The supervisor came out and fixed everything except ADT and an icon that was popping up saying I had a network cable unplugged. I did not, so I deleted the bridge, and now everything seems fine.

Why one earth did that first tech think he could get into my msconfig and turn everything off except simple startup? May he die a thousand blood-curdling deaths.

[img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2004, 02:30 PM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I can't figure out why he'd have to touch your pc to insall a phone! I think you should ask TW to pay your ADT fee if they are responsible for leaving it unhooked!
Old 10-19-2004, 02:38 PM   #3
philip
Galvatron

Yep seems he really screwed up and you shouldn't pay for what he shouldn't have touched or what he didn't even know off.

When we got cable internet installed the guy didn't touch anything and left without the internet working cause they didn't risk breaking something or messing our settings up.

I find it very hard to believe you have much spyware on your computer This guy definitely has like zero computer knowledge and shouldn't even come near a computer.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:09 PM   #4
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

that is why I do all of my own installs, if I break something t is on me, but if they break something it still comes out of my pocket, and they will not admit to it anyway.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:27 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I would drop a letter of complaint about that first tech, including the $75 fee for the ADT rehookup (that he unhooked). Be specific about what you'd like them to do to make you happy -- don't just whinge about what they did wrong.

I don't trust most of the techs who come out. As little as I know that I know, they tend to know even less... but if they can stand toe-to-toe with me on a topic and show me where I'm wrong in my thinking, that's big points.

Had a tech once tell me that I had a dual-boot machine just because I had a DOS boot menu in there. This was back in the days where you occasionally had to maximize your free memory for certain games... that one didn't sit very well. And after I took the DOS boot menu off, he said he still couldn't install it because it had had one on there...

Hello.... please get me your supervisor. [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.