Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2003, 11:39 PM   #1
lucius tiberus maximus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey
Just wondering if anyone here is a part of the SCA? If you are what canton,household,shire barony,principality or kingdom are you located in? What do you do heavy fight,A an S, light fight, rapier any of that stuff?
I am 15 and I fight light with a crossbow, I am the youngest ever light champion of the Barony of Borealis which is located in Alberta Canada.

For those of you who dont know what the SCA visit the sit www.sca.org
Old 09-28-2003, 09:14 AM   #2
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I am not a member myself but some of my friends are and they have been trying to convince me to go. I am not sure if I will, mainly because it seems like a long term thing and I will probably not remain here after I finish high school.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:24 PM   #3
lucius tiberus maximus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The SCA can be long term if you want to play for a long time or you can leave when ever you want. I have personaly been in the SCA for about a year and I love it. The SCA is world wide so if you move somewere else there most likely will be people that play there and you can just pick up from were you left off.
If you have any other questions just ask
Old 09-28-2003, 01:44 PM   #4
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Quote:
Originally posted by lucius tiberus maximus:
Hey
Just wondering if anyone here is a part of the SCA? If you are what canton,household,shire barony,principality or kingdom are you located in? What do you do heavy fight,A an S, light fight, rapier any of that stuff?
I am 15 and I fight light with a crossbow, I am the youngest ever light champion of the Barony of Borealis which is located in Alberta Canada.

For those of you who dont know what the SCA visit the sit www.sca.org
Welcome to IW.

And we sure could use you in the Canadian army for taking over the world the beavers can not shoot if there life depended on it. But they could naw your leg off in 2 to 3 seconds.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:46 AM   #5
Azimaith
Manshoon

Oh god, not the SCA.... I'm sorry but I just can't stand a society that loves the propogation of false, stereotyped, "the public doesn't know any better", type of groups that run around doing renaissance fairs. They've caused historical western swordsmen a ton of trouble. I get sick when I hear they are doing a demonstration that follows no previously recorded historically accurate medieval fighting. I feel nauseous when I see some guy running around in armor they call "chain" mail (there is no such thing, it was just mail), carrying an obvious longsword (though they add innapproriate basket hilts because they don't know how to parry) and saying its a broadsword. I can't help but grit my teeth as they perform flowerey, inneffective,and ultimately misleading "sword fights" or duels. Sorry, Im a big stickler for historical accuracy being show to the public and I think the SCA is doing a huge diservice to the weapons of medieval europe by their use.

Did you know the founder of the SCA left it because of they basically didn't give a rats ass about historical accuracy and basically just wanted to beat one another with foam covered pipes? He's actually with the ARMA now, or the Association for Renaissance Martial Arts. Most of the real historically dedicated folks leave the SCA really fast and leave it to those who enjoy pretending to be conan.

If your insulted then I suppose theres nothing I can do, I don't think I should have to lie about my feelings in this matter to save someone this. This is Western European heritage made a mockery of.

[ 10-06-2003, 04:46 AM: Message edited by: Azimaith ]
The Democrats bash the Republicans and the Republicans bash the democrats, now everyones got mud in their eyes and they can\'t see what matters.<br />Check out this site: [url]\"http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm</a>