Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 07-10-2002, 04:56 AM   #1
philip
Galvatron

Which weapons hit a pit fiend?
The only weapons I know of are Flail of the Ages' fire/ice/acid damage, quarterstaff +3 (which only deals damage with a critical hit)
magic missile
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 05:08 AM   #2
Neuromancer
Manshoon

Holy avenger worked wonders for me. And active protection against evil, of course [img]smile.gif[/img]

Neuro
Old 07-10-2002, 06:07 AM   #3
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Neuromancer:
Holy avenger worked wonders for me.
I'm not planning to take Keldorn with me. So Carsomyr isn't an option.

Quote:
And active protection against evil, of course [img]smile.gif[/img]
I like to summon a pit fiend before resting to get some extra xp.
It's the only thing I use negative plane protection for [img]smile.gif[/img]

But +? does a weapon need to hit pit fiends.

[ 07-10-2002, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: philip ]
Old 07-10-2002, 07:12 AM   #4
Radek
Red Dragon

A +3 weapon as it was hinted by yourself . As far as the "critical strike" problem is concerned, it means that the THAC0 of your staff owner is rather bad and that he can suceed only if he scores a critical hit. A critical hit bypasses the THAC0 test: you always hit no matter how bad is your THAC0 and no matter how good is your opponent's AC.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:21 AM   #5
Neuromancer
Manshoon

I didn't play with Keldron either - because my main character was a paladin - hence the holy avenger (+5 sword). As far as I remember Minsc with a +4 crossbow hit it quite frequentyl. Therefore I assume that at least +4 weapon are needed. +3 should work fine too, if you lower fiend's resistances OR it might youst be a problem with your chara's THAC0 (or however this is spelled correctly [img]smile.gif[/img] ) As Radek commented whili I was writting this [img]smile.gif[/img]

Neuro

[ 07-10-2002, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: Neuromancer ]
Old 07-10-2002, 07:28 AM   #6
Maxamus
Manshoon

some bolts of glory spells will anilate any demon. Just tank them, and take em out with that spell (if you don't have the +3/+4 weaponry)
Old 07-10-2002, 09:28 AM   #7
Radek
Red Dragon

Neuromancer, what kind of bolts did Minsc use? Why am I asking:
The "rank" of a ranged weapon is determined by the ammo used currently. For example, if you fire normal arrows from a +4 bow then the weapon is considered a normal one. If you switch to +1 arrows then the weapon will be considered a +1 weapon. And so on. The fact that the bow itself is +4 only means that you get bonus to THAC0 and damage. It does not mean that you can hit a monster immune to +3 and worse weapons.
Now, the best ammo in SoA is +2. Therefore, no monsters immune to +2 and worse weapons can be physically hit by any long bow or crossbow in the game. Such monsters can be hit only by special short bows (Tansheron Bow (+3) and Gesen Bow (+4) used without ammo), slings (Sling of Everard (+5) used without ammo) and darts (only the darts from the Cloak of Stars - +5). Nevertheless, you can score magical damage if you fire arrows (bolts, bullets) with magical attack (fire, ice, etc.). Therefore:
1. Did Minsc score physical damage when he attacked the Pit Fiend with his crossbow? This would mean that the Pit Fiend can be hit with a +2 weapon. At present, I am convinced that summoned demons as well as a lot other demons need a +3 weapon.
2. Did Minsc use bolts with magical attack?
Old 07-10-2002, 09:49 AM   #8
philip
Galvatron

thanks
Old 07-11-2002, 03:06 AM   #9
Neuromancer
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Radek:
Neuromancer, what kind of bolts did Minsc use?
I played this game a good while ago, so I reinstalled it yesterday to check this [img]smile.gif[/img] And experimented a bit. The weapons that could actually hit him were (the ones I had at one of my save games)
1. Main chara + Holy avenger
2. Minsc + Bow +4 (not a crossbow - sorry). It was Gesen Bow (short bow made to be shot from horseback or smt. like that)
3. Mage + Sling of Everard (obtained from that merchant from Bonus Pack that sells weapons from Icewind Dale - or at least with similar names [img]smile.gif[/img] )
4. Crossbow + bolts+3 (????? now don't ask me from where i got those. there was just a couple of them anyway - but this is probably the source of my confusion) Maybe it's of some importance that I have Throne of Bhaal installed ? Installed it together with SoA & some fixes went into patch directory (just like the first time). I should probably make a clean SoA install with no add-ons and then things could turn out different ??? Well...at present it's just too damn HOT [img]smile.gif[/img]

Neuro
Old 07-11-2002, 03:59 AM   #10
Radek
Red Dragon

Thanks.