Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2001, 03:30 PM   #1
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I have recently installed I.E 6. Everything seems fine apart from the problem that links don't automatically open in a new window like they did under I.E. 5.5. This is really bugging me so I thought I would ask y'all if there was a simple answer to sorting this. I am getting sick of copy/paste to the address bar

I.T. big brains - line up your responses below............

------------------
Regards

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 11-02-2001).]
Old 11-02-2001, 03:33 PM   #2
Sorcerer Alex

Mouse, dear rodent, go back to 5.5. I've had nothing but problems and bugs with 6. It was a complete nightmare. I'm now running 5.5. and it's heaven in comparison. I had to reformat my whole computer, install windows again, everything. So, er, if you have any problems with it whatsoever, I strongly suggest you go back to 5.5

------------------
Later,

Old 11-02-2001, 03:37 PM   #3
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

You said the miracle words I wanted to hear S.Alex.

I bought 3 PC magazines, and ALL of them offered IE 6 as a "freebie".

Well freebie you are not!! (I dumped all the diskes in my filing cabinet)

I was too afraid something like this would happen - yes, I was afraid of an installation disk.

Originally though, it was tempting to "upgrade" it from the Windows Update site - but 17MB?...................tch! Forget it.

------------------
Old 11-02-2001, 04:43 PM   #4
BladeMaster

I have been running IE 6.0 since it was in Beta Test and I have yet to have any problems with it. Everything works fine for me. As to the original question I don't know why it is doing that because when I click on links they open up for me in a new window.

------------------

Old 11-02-2001, 04:47 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks for saying that, Blademaster. I've been running IE 6.0 for a month (upgraded to avoid contracting NIMDA) and have had no problem with it whatsoever. I'm running Win 98 SE on my machine; it's possible it has some incompatibilities with that piece of cr*p that passes for an OS named "Windows Me"...

It's supposed to be the most compatible with Windows XP, but we'll see on that.

Cheers,

------------------

Welcome to Ironworks...over 4200 happy members and one old buzzard!
Old 11-02-2001, 04:48 PM   #6
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by BladeMaster:
I have been running IE 6.0 since it was in Beta Test and I have yet to have any problems with it. Everything works fine for me. As to the original question I don't know why it is doing that because when I click on links they open up for me in a new window.

Just an observation but are you sure that's an angel in your sig. It looks like a succubus to me.

------------------
JR

Damned i lost cousin Jan's techno gloves

Forest runner and first gnomish demiranger-protector with slightly rougueish tendencies and a natural dislike for Aerie
Old 11-02-2001, 05:01 PM   #7
BladeMaster

That could be what the problem is Saz as I am running Win 98 SE also.

JR Jansen.

Yes it is a succubus. It is Fall from Grace from Planescape: Torment. Angel is the nickname for my Wing Elf character. It was the best animation I could find of a winged female.

------------------

Old 11-02-2001, 05:01 PM   #8
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Try this...

On the File menu bar

Choose Tools

Then Internet Options

Then the Advanced Tab

There should be an option for reusing windows for launching shortcuts. Make sure it isn't checked if you want to open them in a new window.

You can also right click on the shortcut instead of left clicking and then choose open in a new window.

I also run 6.0 at home with no problem, but right now I'm looking at a 5.5 machine at work. Still it should be in the same general area with the same general title.

OT. How do I make windows open in full screen? I had trouble with this in 5.5 and 6.0. I can size it and then close it and it will "remember" the last size and return to it, with the exception of full size.

------------------

"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."

[This message has been edited by Ronn_Bman (edited 11-02-2001).]
Old 11-02-2001, 05:29 PM   #9
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Ding dong.......update

Successfully uninstalled I.E.6 - the uninstall prog helpfully lets you revert to an earlier version e.g. I.E.5.5.

Grrrrrr - still can't automatically open links in a new window without copy/paste to the address bar. Curse Bill Gates and his Satanic Imps!!!!

------------------
Regards

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 11-02-2001).]
Old 11-02-2001, 05:32 PM   #10
Sorcerer Alex

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
Ding dong.......update

Successfully uninstalled I.E.6 - the uninstall prog helpfully lets you revert to an earlier version e.g. I.E.5.5.

Grrrrrr - still can't automatically open links in a new window without copy/paste to the address bar. Curse Bill Gates and his Satanic Imps!!!!

Good job Mouse, I really do think 5.5 is much more stable

------------------
Later,