Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 07-02-2002, 12:02 PM   #1
Bookmanx
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have been lurking here a few days and must say this is one great place for BG info.

My question is about soloing. I keep reading about people soloing BG2. Do you mean one character ONLY ? Or one that you make and the rest of the party made up of NPC's that join you ?

Just curious how you can do this ? I've been thinking of restarting with a monk class and wondered if it would be possible to solo the game with one character only (not taking any NPC's). Or am I nuts ?

Thanks for any help, and for the great resources.
Bookmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 12:13 PM   #2
daan
Silver Dragon

Lol
first ...
[img]graemlins/shine.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/dance2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/dance2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/shine.gif[/img]
!!!!!!!! WELCOME !!!!!!!!!!1

And then, yes .. it is indeed possible to solo the game, and a monk is quite a nice class to do it with, although a bit hard in the beginning.
Just dont start soloing right away, go through the game with a party for the first time / first few times ... and after that, try soloing.

It's really not that difficult, as a mage you can use more tactics, ( which would normally hurt party-members too ), and as fighter ( and mage) -types, you Lvl up a LOT faster ...

It does require some more tactical insight than usual though
Old 07-02-2002, 12:14 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Sole means you, and only you. No NPCs. Nope, none, nada, no-no.

How, why do we do it? Well, that will be because we have played the game as a party too many times already, seen practically everything that there is to see, and want a new challange. We fully exploit every single advantage that we can get out of the game, in order to succeed. Oh, and in case you are wondering, we do not cheat in order to make it possible, at least I know I do not cheat.

You are only a nut to solo, if you have not played a party through the whole game yet. As I mentioned before, we do it for a challange. Soloing is NOT by any means a walk in the park. We know what to expect, because we have completed the game numerous times already.

Monks are viable soloists, and rank up there with the Sorcerer as one of the best pureclass characters to solo with. Dualclassed and Multiclassed characters are also viable, but they are too many to specifically mention a few.

Anymore queries? Welcome to the Ironworks Forums by the way.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 01:19 PM   #4
Bookmanx
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the info. I played BG2 through back when it first came out and have been playing again lately and wanted a new challenge.

Edit - started a monk last night and I have a couple questions.

One, how do you deal with trolls ? I have no way of putting them down for the count.

Two, for locked boxes do you just keep using brute force or your str buff till you get them opened ? I know you don't need into all of them, but I like to loot what I can.

Any other tips are appreciated too. I got about half of chapter 2 done last night and this is a unique way to play that's for sure.

[ 07-03-2002, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Bookmanx ]
Bookmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 01:41 PM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I started soloing on Core, now I am permanently on Insane.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:56 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Monks are at their best with their fists, but that doesn't mean they're limited to their fists. You can use any 1-handed weapon that a Thief can use--although the only one that'll kill Trolls (that I can think of offhand, anyway) is the Sword of Flame+1 for sale in the Copper Coronet.

You don't want to walk all the way back just for 1 sword? That's why there's a "softer" version of soloing: You're allowed to take other NPCs, but only on their specific NPC quests. For instance, your Monnk can run around kicking ass & taking names, while Nalia follows right behind and point-blanks a Fire Arrow into the ear of each fallen Troll. After you're done with de'Arnise, it's goodbye Nalia.

Monks are stuck with brute strength for opening things. Better buy that Girdle, or some Potions.....
Old 07-04-2002, 03:10 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Monks can use the Scarlett Ninja-To to kill Trolls, because of the poison. Nalia is not needed.
Old 07-04-2002, 03:27 AM   #8
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Yep, that ninja to kills trolls, and its good because of the extra attack. BTW, dont forget to buy the sling of Everard, youŽll need it to kill the bigger golems [img]smile.gif[/img] .

I started soloing a monk and i reached the Underdark, then started a new game coz it was already too easy, the monk is just too powerful at higher levels (mages cant even touch me). I still have the savegame but im not sure if ill play further [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2002, 03:44 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ertai_OHF:
~~ I started soloing a monk and i reached the Underdark, then started a new game coz it was already too easy, the monk is just too powerful at higher levels (mages cant even touch me). I still have the savegame but im not sure if ill play further [img]smile.gif[/img]
Oh... things get easy in SoA, because the game was not designed for such high-level characters. It was the same story as my solo Cavalier, the end of SoA was almost a walk in the park.

Once you hit ToB though, time to start pulling tricks out of your sleeves.
Old 07-04-2002, 01:48 PM   #10
Madmonk
Welcomed New User

(bookmanx from home - didn't send my password to my home PC).

I am doing great soloing and am almost level 15 already and just barely started some chapter 3 quests. I remembered the +1 sword with fire attack and got it, and I am doing very well.

BUT, I am now stuck on the Unseeing eye quest. I am in the temple where the Manefestation pops up (that you are supposed to heal), but I cannot heal it. How do you get past that ? Bring in a cleric for a few rounds or is there another way around ?

One character sure adds a new dimension to this game.
Madmonk is offline   Reply With Quote