Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 06-22-2002, 03:59 PM   #1
ronan
The Magister

I am all for a free form, open-ended game which allows a player to take any path they wish and would like to congratulate the games makers for attempting to branch out in this direction. The one problem i have is that this game plays as a glorified point-and-click. All I need to do to fight/talk/complete a quest is point-and-click. I run across a monster who needs killing, I point-and-click until they die. I need to talk to a npc to further my quest, I point-and-click while they talk at me. I need to persuade a someone to give me a book, I point-and-click, reload, point-and-click, save, point-and-click........ repeat until the number in the top right hand corner reaches a secret set level and voila quest completed. I need to care about my character, the story, npc's, the enemy even to enjoy any form of rpg. I do not care about this game at the moment, not one jot. Now obviously there must be something to this game or all you good, fine people would not be playing and enjoying it. Please tell me what there is, do I reach level 20 and suddenly the whole game becomes fun. Can I ever actually have a conversation with anyone, can I enjoy a battle instead of either winning easily or pouring fatigue potions down my neck until i win, will anyone actually be able to afford my best items which are for skills i have not majored/minored in (the most annoying aspect of the game, surely all skills should count towards levelling up and all increase at the same pace ie.ds). Help me see the light, show me the error of my ways. I really want to like this game but I do not. Over to you guys.
Old 06-22-2002, 04:19 PM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Yea, I'm not quite sure what it is about the game either. I usually play a good hour before going to bed, but ever since the first couple days, I've lost that feeling for the game. When this game is reviewed as the most open-ended game of all time, I feel that is not entirely true. You ARE given a set path, and you can take alternative courses to boost your character. In the end, however, the ending is the same. Compared to most other RPG's (can't classify as CRPG, as yet there are many more on consoles), it falls short of the 'most open-ended'. I play this game for the sake of completing it, and afterwards I might find that I won't play it again for a while.
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 04:33 PM   #3
ronan
The Magister

I see your point in that you are playing this game to complete it but I play games to have fun, can anyone honestly say they are enjoying this game past the initial exitement of the non-linear sidequest beginning.The novelty kind of wore of.
Old 06-22-2002, 04:36 PM   #4
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by ronan:
but I play games to have fun
So do I, but who can start a game and not play through to witness the end? (With the exception of those 'stinkers')
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 06:43 PM   #5
Nydlari
Manshoon

Wow you guys are missing the whole point of the game: EXPLORATION! They've built a huge world to explore and interact with. The series of quests that make up the main plot are a tiny fraction of Morrowind. The greatness of this game is the esthetic pleasure you get from immersing yourself in it, not a mad rush to some arbitrary end point. I pity the two of you. You are the type of guys who will rush through sex in 30 secs to get to climax then fall asleep never knowing the true enjoyment of the experience.
Nydlari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 07:39 PM   #6
Ceren
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, I like it! In fact I think it is one of the most detailed, realtime RPG's ever. I congratulate the programmers on a very tough task, very well done. The concept may be new to people that just need to be an extremely high level, killing everything, and ending the game, only to buy another useless $40+ title. I have been developing a game for 6 months now and now I must change my entire strategy, as far as the engine goes. Yes there could be improvements, that's why they give you the construction set, if you don't like something, change it. I Love It. I have just purchased the game about three days ago, and I haven't gotten anything done since then around the house, but I have been born into a new world as Ceren, a female Breton, seems to have some identity crisis right now, because I didn't ask any boards or cheat or anything else. I installed and started. I can't stop. It's just not possible now. I am drawn in, I am using some of my personality and qualities in my character, and then I play the role of the character, I think, hmmm.... Ceren what do I do now? And I am thinking you must have been playing long and hard, because I am just a 4th level character. And that was 3 days hard play. I dont use fortification potions until someone is dead, I use my mind, scout, prepare, gather, "borrow", and study, then I make several plans, I make escape routes, emergency exits, etc... It's quite hard work. Sure you point and click, but that remark is strange, since ALL PC GAMES are point and click. I am Ceren a Mage, born under the sign of the Mage, but I can't just click and zap a creature into oblivion, I must know my opponent, what if he's a mage? What if there are other dangers nearby? I tried to kill a rat with a dagger and almost died! I can hear you laughing from here, but my guildmaster told me to practice, so I did, and now I use my dagger and with a few flicks a rat is dead, but that's just not true of a cliffracer, or several other beasts. I have exlpored some of the towns and outer areas, and have found that things are constantly changing. My only thing is I want a house! I am homless, somtimes I must rest off the paths in the areas way outside of town. I also found, if you use the common sense and trade skills of the character, then brute force is not the answer to every problem. I tried brute force and died many times. But now I haven't died in a while. I have been very close. You just have to be in the game, you can't just play it. Sorry this was so wordy, but your posts inspired me.
Old 06-22-2002, 08:22 PM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

When I first got this game, all I thought was " cool, the greatest rpg ever has come into my hand ". I remember people who have played Elder Scrolls II talk so much about Morrowind gonna be an open ended game. which mean you can do whatever you like in the game. okay so I install it and decided to be a mass murderer, but wtf how come I get this " doom message " when I kill a certain someone. "this is not an open ended game" I kept thinking to myself.

So I kept replaying and replaying a new game, but somehow I couldn't help but wonder why have I created an office boy instead that do errands for people instead of doing things what I like. okay no problem and I keep on playing.

the most disappointing thing to me in the game was the ending, since I don't want to spoil, I stop here.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 08:47 PM   #8
Elven Secrets
Welcomed New User

Hi there, everyone! I'm new here!

Don't mind the mess while I get adjusted to this, okay? Anyhow, I just bought Morrowinds for the XBox. Yeah, I know.. I'm going to get so much flack for having it on the XBox, but I didn't even know about it until I was buying the system.

Anyway, when I bought it, I was excited. I had no idea what I was stepping into though. I've played EverQuest and this game in no way.. has any competition with that game. I was blown away by how rich the detail was, how realistic the gameplay was and just how immersed you can get with this person's life.

If they ever take it broadscale, I want in. I'm just.. so amazed with the lives of these people and the overall exploration ethic, I love it.
Elven Secrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 09:01 PM   #9
Arvon
Unicorn

I'm not sure I understand your complaint. There is a basic story here. It's controled by Caius, the spy master. He will send you on an ordered set of quest to game compleation, I guess. But you have the option to strike out on your own to hunt, and peck at things. As a mater of fact you are instructed to do so. At the point of the game I'm at I haven't figured out who it is I'm suppose to combat to complete the game. It is differant than W8 or W&W. There you knew upfrount what the goal was.
If you don't like the game, package it up and sell it off to someone. Get something back on your investment.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Arvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 09:14 PM   #10
vesselle
Hathor

i love morrowind.

but not everyone does, as yall can see. it's too bad that you don't like it. what you should try to do is swap it out for NWN. i'm playing that, too and it may be more to your liking.

if not, and you still have your receipt, by all means return it and get something else. wizardry 8 or dungeon siege are fun, good games. try them out! or even rtcw or mohaa or jedi knight. really really good games, too!

[img]smile.gif[/img]

V***V

[img]graemlins/chaos.gif[/img]