Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 09:12 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Sad

There's no action as likely to get you killed as inaction. ~Legolas

================================================== =============================

The previous thread of discussion is HERE

Resort to this post on this thread for rules that pertain to this game in the future.

From now on...all rules for this game, current and future, will be found on Page 1, Post 1 of each proceeding Discussion Thread. When a new rule has been decided, it is added to this list.

* Gaming Rules *

Rules were either created by Cyril or resolved with me, the DM, during a consensual vote, usually being worked out in PM or MSN chat with one or more advisors present.

Rule adjustments made during and since "The LOF 2 - Aftermath" game:

Time in AD&D:

1. During combat, the basic unit is the round which is 1 minute long.
2. The basic unit of time outside of combat is the turn which is 10 minuites long. 1 turn = 10 rounds.
3. Casting times for spells are generally given in terms of segments, i.e., a casting time of 6 means the spell requires 6 segments to cast. 10 segments = 1 round (segments are 6 seconds long) - this provides a means of figuring out when in a round a spell can take effect.

There is no need to worry about getting these things exactly right in terms of time keeping - that's more book keeping than any of us would likely want. Think of the values as helpful benchmarks for how long things will last, however. For example a 3 turn spell will last 30 minutes - thus, once the DM decides that half an hour has passed the spell expires.

Bonded Mounts for Paladins and other characters:

A bonded mount will be able to acquire no more than 10 hit dice. It will make saving throws as monster of its present number of hit dice and will receive no bonuses from the character who rides it. Saving throws for the bonded mount and its rider are always to be made separately, thus the mount can be fully affected by an attack even if its rider successfully saves. In the event of the death of the mount, nothing short of a full Wish Spell will restore the creature to life.

Note - I still find this overpowered and would be inclined to modify this even further.

Recovery of Spells:

Spells are not automatically recovered or memorized on resting [this holds for clerics and sorcerers as well]. Time needs to be spent in memorizing them and preparing material components [Mages]; in prayer and communion with one's deity [clerics and druids]; or simply allowing one's magical energy and ability to focus and control it to recover after having been spent [sorcerers]. Depending on the number and level of spells involved, this can take as long as a couple days. Note that rangers and paladins would be handled the same way with regard to their spellcasting abilities.

Missile Weapons:

The use of archery in the tunnels will be difficult as it will be nearly impossible to ‘arch’ an arrow’s flight. Thus the range of bows, especially longbows, will be greatly decreased while the group is underground. Brendon posseses a bow that will allow him to fire at targets a bit more distant than a typical bow would, but it will still suffer a dramatic decrease in range. Crossbows will suffer no real penalties.

Critical Hits:

This game does not make use of critical hit tables, nor are massive criticals allowed. A roll of a ‘natural 20’ to hit will automatically result in a critical hit and a critical hit will do maximum damage +3 to the target. Weapons or abilities that might allow a critical hit on something other than a natural 20 are possible in the game but need to be negotiated with the DM.

Bladesinger spell casting:

Bladesingers do not receive any level related bonus to their armor class when attempting to cast spells in combat. They may, however, make full use of their dexterity bonus when spellcasting, an AC benefit which is not available to most other spellcasters. Dantes, as a Kensai/Mage, also receives the benefit of his full dexterity bonus.

Note - Once again, I would be inclined to take another look at these classes as to whether they should be nerfed even more.

The Stoneskin Spell:

This spell will function to block one melee attack per skin against opponents such as the grimlocks. However, against creatures of great physical power such as the Shadow Giants it will not absorb more than one or two blows before crumbling completely to pieces. Duration of spell will be 1 turn (10 minutes)/level.

The Dispel Magic Spell:

Rather than defining Dispel Magic as a 3rd level spell, it will be understood as a spell of variable level depending upon at what level the caster chooses to memorize it [i.e., 3rd to 9th]. This is important as in this game 2 factors are important in determining the success of a casting of Dispel Magic:

1. The difference in level between the one casting Dispel Magic and the caster of the original enchantment. There is a 5% penalty for each level the one trying to Dispel an enchantment is below that of the one who originally cast it. Should the caster of the Dispel magic be higher in level, he receives a 5% bonus for each level higher than the caster of the enchantment.

2. The difference in level between the Dispel itself and that of the enchantment. A Dispel Magic that has been memorized as a lower level spell than the enchantment it is directed against receives a 10% penalty for each level it is below the that of the enchantment. Conversely, a Dispel Magic of higher level than a given enchantment receives a 10% bonus for each level of difference. For example a spellcaster who has memorized Dispel Magic as a 3rd level spell suffers a penalty of 60% to his chance of success should he attempt to dispel a 9th level enchantment.

The base chance of success for Dispel Magic is 50%. This base chance is modified by the penalties and bonuses outlined above.

Numerous Small magic Items:

This pertains to such things as the coins with Continual Light cast upon them and the caltrops carried by Elethias, Morgeruat’s new character. No more than one or two handfuls [8-16] of such items can exist in the group’s possession at any given time. Thus, for example, a large sack of enchanted coins is not an option.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:40 AM   #2
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Larry Silverfall

Level 1 Ranger / Level 1 Fighter

HP: 23/23

Andrion Wilgor

Level 17 Mage (currently an owl)

HP: 22/22

Vincent Pathfinder

Level 7 Thief/Level 6 Ranger

HP : 98/98

Silt

Fighter, level 10

HP: 0/80

Marcos of Snowdale

Level 10 Paladin

HP: 98/98 Resurrected

Plaxica

Level ? Fighter ? (shapeshifter were-owl)

HP: 85(?)/85

Kynnen

Level 6 Fighter (fallen Paladin) /Level 3 Blackguard

HP: 73/85

Morgeruat

Level 15 Fighter (fallen Paladin)

HP: 115/115

Anarrima

Level 13? Cleric

HP: 55/67

Yevaud

Level 6/7

HP: 45/45

Joseph

Level 16

HP ?/?

Senora

Level: Cleric? lvl ??

HP 60/60

[ 12-15-2005, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]
Old 07-14-2005, 12:02 PM   #3
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Woot, fresh clean new spot to post in. Now I know Larry is going to punish me for posting useless drivel in here hehe but I wish to maintain my healthy status....
Old 07-19-2005, 07:49 PM   #4
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Just to let you know I'm back from my trip [img]smile.gif[/img] Continental Europe didn't disappoint me, except for the odd racist salesperson I came across.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

We'll have to hear about that sometime.

Glad to hear you're back! There is not much going on in the way of your story-line...but we are getting there. We are expecting Cyril to come back from his trip so we can see what his new scheduling will be like, and then we're rolling.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:40 PM   #6
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

LOL, great backstory and such Larry, but Yevaud isn't buying it, undead are so completely against the natural order even if it is telling the truth (which as a player I believe it is) it cannot be trusted or accepted by Yevaud and his predjudices.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:17 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I am glad to hear that you are playing your part well. I did not expect you to be easily persuaded by a mere ghost.

Good work.

Edit: You pushed the ghost over the edge of his ability to stay calm, and has now become hostile to you. Note that he is not hostile to anyone one else at this time, unless they attack.

[ 07-20-2005, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 07-20-2005, 06:36 PM   #8
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

That's me back from an extended leave (ended up being away longer than I thought). I'l read up on what I've missed. I will be away again as of Saturday till the next Saturday, and from August 5th to 12th or 13th (off to Italy).
Old 07-20-2005, 10:46 PM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Well well well...Marcos has just added an NPC (ghost) to the party of four that lurk in the cursed Lesismoore castle under the swamps.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:13 AM   #10
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Hey all my glasses broke last night after a high speed collision with a 2 y/o, my other glasses are about 7 years old and give me a headache when I try to read anything on a monitor, so I won't be posting until I get them fixed, tomorrow at the earliest.
Closed Thread