Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2003, 03:31 AM   #1
Trau
Zhentarim Guard

Ok, so I am using SK to give certain enemies items but I am making them more formidable. I gave Shadow Patrick a custom sword, but I put him at level 25. I also made the Shade Lord more powerful just for things to make more sense. I gave the Crypt King some items but put his race at lich and his class at skeleton warrior. His level is now 40. I think of him as like a Death Knight. If only I could change his idiotic name.

My question is...is this the bad kind of cheating? I think this is a perfect way to implement custom items into the game using characters that are not known for their superb equipment or rewards.
Black Bush: \"UN got a problem with me in Iraq? You know what you should do? You should sanction me. Sanction me with your army. Oh wait, you don\'t have an army. I guess that means you should need to shut the f**k up! SHUT THE F**K UP!\"
Trau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:52 AM   #2
dragon_lord
Elminster

I wouldnt really call it cheating, I call cheating making the game easier to finish. However it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks, play the game how you want to play - unless it affects someone else (but thats a different matter). To change creature names your going to have to fiddle with strings - just use Near Infinity, its simple enough to do.

[ 11-03-2003, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: dragon_lord ]
[img]\"http://unrealpowerhouse.ozforces.com.au/lich_des.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />[url]\"http://www.flatface.net/~itemsmart/\" target=\"_blank\">The Items Mart</a><br /><br />[url]\"http://www.flatface.net/~itemsmart/misc.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Monster Enchantments and Immunities List</a>
dragon_lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:54 AM   #3
Kezardin
Elminster

MODS such as Tactics and Improved Battles make many of the existing fights more difficult as well as adding some new encounters to prevent boredom

Also you can customize them later at your leisure.
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:27 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Cheating, re: Making enemies tougher-- Perfectly legitimate as long as it makes sense for the creature (for instance, it would be totally nonsensical to give Mencar Pebblecrusher the ability to cast Polymorph Other), and doesn't disrupt the comparative balance of enemies (making Tazok more difficult than Firkraag would be bad).

Cheating, re: Giving enemies custom items-- Perfectly legitimate as long as the items themselves are not overpowered. There are some items that are so cheesy that I (and most people on this forum) would never use: Things like Sanchuudoku, the Cloak of Mirroring, the Shield of Balduran, Throwing Impaler, etc. Now, that isn't just for droppable items: I would never implement something overpowered and then flag it as undroppable, either....unless the item was actually part of the creature's body, or in some other way unique to that specific (type of) creature.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:08 PM   #5
mmkay
Elite Waterdeep Guard

coo,l, i buffed up the beastmaster in the Copper Coronet so now hes about strong enough to actually handle all the animals he's taking care of, oh and also give me a good thourogh butt kicking for goodness
mmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 08:20 PM   #6
Trau
Zhentarim Guard

Heh. My Shade Lord is now at level 40 and has the Death Knight paperdoll.
Black Bush: \"UN got a problem with me in Iraq? You know what you should do? You should sanction me. Sanction me with your army. Oh wait, you don\'t have an army. I guess that means you should need to shut the f**k up! SHUT THE F**K UP!\"
Trau is offline   Reply With Quote