Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
riverman
Dungeon Master

Question Mark Some odd symptoms...

Installed is BG2 and ToB with patch 26498 and mod G3 BG2 Tweaks. Game was playing fine and then started having the following annoying problems: 1. Aerie starts lagging behind, doesn't assume her position in the group. Sometimes when I hit Ctrl J, she gets left behind. Seems to be only Aerie, no matter where I place her in the group. 2. Some items have lost their text description, like Ice Star (just shows as Morningstar +2). No description of damage or THACO. 3. When I hit Q, I get the message that I can't save when in dialog mode, even though I am not. Have to hit Q several times to save. Was trying to play with these defects, but then with Cromwell, when I ask if I have anything he could use (I have red dragon scales), he replies about rummaging around, but then I get a big blank dialog box with the only response at the bottom which is "13- I'll be going then" (or something similar, can't remember exact text). I need Cromwell! Any idea what is going on and how to fix it?
Thanks
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:55 AM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: Some odd symptoms...

This is my preferred Install order
1. BG2 SoA
2. ToB expansion
3. ToB patch 26498
4. BG2 Fixpack
5. All other mods
6. BG2 Tweaks

So, the BG fixpack needs to be in there BEFORE the Tweakpack. You can try backing up your saves, reinstalling the game (and associated mods) then copy the saves back into the saves folder. But I don't think that will really fix your problem, you will probably have to start a new game.

The Tweakpack almost always needs to be installed last,,,because it 'tweaks' weapons and items. So any mods that introduce weapons and items need to be installed so the Tweakpack can tweak them!
Regarding Aerie's walking speed....this seems to be a problem that happens to people that import their BG1 PC into SoA. But the problem usually happens to the PC. Make sure Aerie isn't overburdened and walking slow because of that. Hope this helps.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
riverman
Dungeon Master

I uninstalled everything and then installed (in order) BG2 and ToB. I then went to my saved game with Cromwell. Everything worked fine, including Aerie's position in the group. I then installed Weimar Item Upgrade and then BG2 Tweaks. Went back to the Cromwell save. The dialog and item descriptions work okay, but Aerie still lags behind. I notice that when the group stops, the PC turns around to face Aerie as if to talk. Not sure what the problem is here, maybe the Romance mod in the Tweaks? I will uninstall that and see what happens. Let me know if there are other suggestions.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

All the halting is definitely due to Aerie trying to strike up a conversation she doesn't have. Which mod creates the problem though, I've no idea.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
riverman
Dungeon Master

I uninstalled the Romance fixes in G3 BG2 Tweaks and now Aerie is behaving herself. She keeps her position in the group and the PC no longer looks like he is trying to initiate dialog with her. So, am I now going to have problems with the romance between Aerie and my PC? Are there other patches for the romance bugs?
Thanks
Old 01-05-2009, 07:15 AM   #6
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

What are you trying to do? Restart the romance? Have multiple romances? Let us know.

Here is some general advice about romances, though. They are quirky and fail easily if you don't say the right things,,,,just like in real life. Do a search on this board for "romances" or "Aerie romance", you will get MANY hits. Read thru them and heed the advice. There are even cheats that can restart failed romances...just read the NUMEROUS romance posts already made. A bit of warning on the Aerie romance,,,SPOILER!!
if the romance fails, she will eventually leave you. BUT, I believe you will have the chance to recruit her again at the beginning of ToB. Hope this helps!

Last edited by ElfBane; 01-05-2009 at 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
riverman
Dungeon Master

I'm carrying on the romance with Aerie only. I know there are bugs and I thought the BG2 Tweaks was supposed to fix them. But now I have uninstalled the fixes and I was wondering if I am going to have trouble in the future. If so, I was looking for another romance patch besides the one in BG2 Tweaks that would not cause the "Aerie false dialog stops" I was seeing with the Tweak version. I could just play through and see what happens. So far so good. I've already refused to sleep with her the first time and she seemed okay with waiting.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverman View Post
I'm carrying on the romance with Aerie only. I know there are bugs and I thought the BG2 Tweaks was supposed to fix them. But now I have uninstalled the fixes and I was wondering if I am going to have trouble in the future. If so, I was looking for another romance patch besides the one in BG2 Tweaks that would not cause the "Aerie false dialog stops" I was seeing with the Tweak version. I could just play through and see what happens. So far so good. I've already refused to sleep with her the first time and she seemed okay with waiting.
Well, I wish you luck. Like I said, read thru the Aerie romance posts, they have a lot of usefull advice. Since you didn't sleep with her the first time offered, there is a good chance the romance will work for you. HOWEVER..... the Aerie romance is hard(for me) to roleplay. She constantly whines about her lost wings, and your romance dialog choices practically force the big bad demi-god of your PC to be girly-man sensitive. Aerie needs to buck-up and get over her past,,,so she can be the badass spell-slinger she was meant to be...when not whining about her damn wings.