Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2003, 08:20 PM   #1
HolyWarrior
User Suspended for 2 weeks by Ziroc [Dec30]

from The Houston Chronicle

Quote:
L.A. wants to end 'master' and 'slave' equipment
Reuters News Service

LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles officials have asked that manufacturers, suppliers and contractors stop using the terms "master" and "slave" on computer equipment, saying such terms are unacceptable and offensive.

The request -- which has some suppliers furious and others busy re-labeling components -- came after an unidentified worker spotted a videotape machine carrying devices labeled "master" and "slave" and filed a discrimination complaint with the county's Office of Affirmative Action Compliance.

In the computer industry, "master" and "slave" are used to refer to primary and secondary hard disk drives. The terms are also used in other industries.

"Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label," Joe Sandoval, division manager of purchasing and contract services, said in a memo sent to County vendors.

"We would request that each manufacturer, supplier and contractor review, identify and remove/change any identification or labeling of equipment components that could be interpreted as discriminatory or offensive in nature," Sandoval said in the memo, which was distributed last week and made available to Reuters.

The memo did not include any suggestions for alternative labels.
Nice to know that the left have nothing better to do.
HolyWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:23 PM   #2
dragon_lord
Elminster

I really hate politically correct BS like this. Its just pure stupidity.
[img]\"http://unrealpowerhouse.ozforces.com.au/lich_des.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />[url]\"http://www.flatface.net/~itemsmart/\" target=\"_blank\">The Items Mart</a><br /><br />[url]\"http://www.flatface.net/~itemsmart/misc.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Monster Enchantments and Immunities List</a>
dragon_lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 01:39 AM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

Yeah that is pretty dumb...what does it have to do with the left though?

Someone from the right calling the left stupid is kinda like:

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 03:46 AM   #4
Skunk
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Yeah that is pretty dumb...what does it have to do with the left though?

Someone from the right calling the left stupid is kinda like:

Exactly what I thought - being PC is not simply a left-wing thing; it is a malaise that affects the entire political spectrum.

[ 11-27-2003, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: Skunk ]
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 05:42 AM   #5
norompanlasolas

lol... i just read about this in cnn, and was about to post a link saying how dumb it was and that pc is getting completely out of hand in the us and europe. i guess if youre trying to make a point you can blame the left though, though you'd do well to try to look at it from a broader view in the future holywarrior.

oh, the end of the article. it seems he backtracked a little after "a few" comments were sent his way.

Faced with an avalanche of complaints from vendors and the general public, Sandoval told Reuters in an interview that his memo was intended as "nothing more than a request" and not an ultimatum or policy change.

"I do understand that this term has been an industry standard for years and years and this is nothing more than a plea to vendors to see what they can do," he said. "It appears that some folks have taken this a little too literally."

Sandoval said that he had already rejected a suggestion that the county stop buying all equipment carrying the "master" and "slave" labels and had no intention of enforcing a ban on such terms with suppliers.

"But we are culturally sensitive and we have 90,000 employees," he said. "We have to take these things seriously."

Sandoval added that in addition to the e-mails he's received "telling me how stupid I am and how I should be fired" he has gotten a positive response from some companies willing to reexamine their labels.

[ 11-27-2003, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: norompanlasolas ]
Old 11-27-2003, 06:59 AM   #6
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

I don't think there's anything wrong with really being politically correct, but this misses the point of what political correctness actually is, as a lot of stuff seems to do these days. I don't think its wrong to attempt to remove inherent bias from a system, but thats not what this is doing.

And if the left wing is pro mad political correctness then surely that makes the right anti political correctness. Which, if you take it to its logical extreme, means that the right is in favour of entrenched racist and sexist bias within institutions. You see where stupid assumptions can get you?
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 02:02 PM   #7
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Silly leftists. I suppose they get upset at the mention of the Dutch Masters.
khazadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 06:44 AM   #8
Donut
Jack Burton

It's raining here again - bloody lefties!!!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 07:50 AM   #9
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
I don't think there's anything wrong with really being politically correct, but this misses the point of what political correctness actually is, as a lot of stuff seems to do these days. I don't think its wrong to attempt to remove inherent bias from a system, but thats not what this is doing.

And if the left wing is pro mad political correctness then surely that makes the right anti political correctness. Which, if you take it to its logical extreme, means that the right is in favour of entrenched racist and sexist bias within institutions. You see where stupid assumptions can get you?
[img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img] Well said Barry. (Hey, I got your name right this time!)