Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 01:55 AM   #141
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

OOC: Thanks Deiter and dplax. It's an ongoing emotional roller-coaster ride I'm on, and the family dynamics are worthy to be RP-ed over here

It was a well-known fact in Alesbridge that Lord Gerald had had his fair share of adventuring days in his youth. That was, after all, how he had managed to accumulate his collection of rare armour, weapons and magical items. These days, his Lordship was content to look back on those days with fond memories, and leave risk-taking to the younger generation. For was there not a saying that "one should know when to retire"?

On the very same day that Rehan the Great had set off to hunt down the city's nemesis, Lord Gerald was having a tete-a-tete with his fair paramour, Lady Yasmine. Her Ladyship was pressing upon a point with insistence.

"My dear, you simply must do something about our daughter. At the rate she's going, she'll be wilder than your stallion!"

Lord Gerald roared with laughter till tears ran down his cheeks. "What a way to compare your pearl! A stallion, ho ho! Robyn will outgrow this stage, just like my sister had, mark my words! You worry too much, Yasmine."

Her Ladyship was not amused. "Outgrow this stage, you say? She's been a minx all of these last five years. I don't call that outgrowing this most frustrating time! Do you realise that she is now eighteen already, Gerald?! At her age, I had wed into your family! Our ancestors would turn in their graves if they knew half of what she's been up to!"

"But she has committed no crime, except to outride my best swordsmen and put my snipers to shame!" The twinkle in his Lordship's eye reflected pride. "I wonder that you belittle her natural talents."

"These are not talents a powerful or rich lord would admire in his wife, I am sure. You certainly did not." She gave one of her pouts which he loved so much. Have a talk with her, my dear. Please." This time, her eyes were pleading seriously. "I won't be able to bear it if anything untoward happened to her."

"Very well, my dear, although I..."

His Lordship could go no further, for the door swung open and an ashen-looking soldier burst into the room, stammering his piece of news.

"Y...your Lordship!"

"Yes?!" Irritation flashed across Lord Gerald's face at this rude interruption.

"L... Lady Robyn...."

"What about her?!" Lady Yasmine was shrieking.

"She's gone!"

"Gone where?!"
"Where is she headed?!"

The soldier shook from head to toe. "T... The woods, my Lord. She took off and some of us have gone after her, but she's... she's rather fast and..."

Lord Gerald reached to grasp his fainting wife just in time, and when he looked up, all complacence had been wiped off his face; in fact, it now looked much older.

"Saddle my horse! I'm going to the woods immediately."
mistral4543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:25 PM   #142
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

He sat high atop a tree branch watching the ground below with idle interest. The young soldier had expected no one to enter the woods; or rather he hoped no one would. He knew he would have to kill innocents to gain her trust and the thought ate away at him. Heh, what would father say if he knew I agreed to kill people just for entering a forest... Sorrow started to etch its way into his features until a bird flew by, causing him to quickly hide his emotions. She had eyes everywhere he knew, and he couldn't afford to let her see any weaknesses if he expected her to put any trust into him.

Rehan's loyalty to the mistress of the woods came into play finally. A young woman was attempting to sneak through out the forest, and Rehan knew if he weren’t so high up he never would have spotted her. She appeared to have come from the direction of Alesbridge, and he wondered if the city had sent her to check on him. Looking back at the black bear a good distance away, it simply swung its paw in the girl's direction indicting this would be his business to take care of. Nodding his consent, Rehan silently climbed down the tree and waited for the young woman to pass by. As she did, he jumped forward and tackled her to the ground. Pinning her there, he looked into her eyes for a brief second before leaning in so his mouth brushed her ear. "You must get away from here." He whispered quickly. "Do not look back."

The sounds of shouting soldiers could be heard nearby, causing Rehan to quickly let go of the young woman and pull out the staff strapped to his back. He hadn't been allowed to retrieve his sword. The polished metal would draw attention and he must blend in with the forest. Without looking back at her, he ran for the direction of the soldiers. Screams could soon be heard, motivating the young man to run even faster. A delirious soldier was crawling his way towards Rehan. He was rambling hysterically and his right arm had been torn off. "You!" The soldier yelled as he gripped onto Rehan's leg tightly. "Gods, save me! The beasts... they... they..." He couldn't get the words out and sobbed against the young man's leg. A tiger slowly made its way over and gripped the soldier’s foot with its mouth. Fangs dug into the flesh as it started to pull against the soldier's grip on Rehan, attempting to drag him down into the burrow with the rest of the dead.

"Help!" The soldier cried desperately as he clung onto Rehan's leg even more. Forgive me... Rehan swung his staff into a low arc and smashed it against the soldier's hand causing him to let go. He watched, knowing if he looked away it would be marked, the soldier claw at the ground screaming curses at Rehan as he was dragged off to his death. He gripped his staff tightly until his knuckles were white, enduring the screams of death until silence once again claimed the woods.

[ 07-17-2006, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Deiter Leafblade ]
Deiter Leafblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #143
dplax
Jack Burton

Most of the beasts had grown used to her presence in the forest during the last couple of years. She was never accepted, only tolerated, as long as their master did not tell them the contrary. It was for this reason that none of the creatures tried stopping her when she approached the young man, once the screams had died down. Esaha knew that she could do nothing to prevent the deaths the soldiers had suffered. When the master of these forests decided something, so it would be.

With the skills learnt from her father, and mastered through the years, Esaha approached the young man silently from behind. The big black bear watched her approach with mild curiosity, but did not move to intercept her.

Esaha stopped five paces behind Rehan, so that should she adress him, she were safe from any sudden movements. She leant heavily on her staff, so that the young man would see that she did not intend to use it, and then gently cleared her throat.

As Rehan whirled back, he noticed a girl, maybe one or two years his junior, with shoulder-length brown hair flying loosely in the small breeze standing behind him, and watching his every movement with her gentle brown eyes.
dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:42 PM   #144
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

Rehan stared at the girl in disbelief. Who was she? And why were the animals not bothered by her presence? "You shouldn't be here." He directed at her. "I don't know what it is that keeps these beasts from attacking you, but I wouldn't rely on it for long."

She continued to stand there and watch him, causing impatience to take over. "Leave this place! Don't you realize they may kill you any second?" He didn't want to see her killed, he didn't want to see those soldiers killed either, but there was nothing he could for them. This girl on the other hand... the beasts merely watched her, which gave her hope to get away, and yet she just stood here looking at him.

Sorrow and desperation were buried inside his eyes, and he hoped she would take his advice and run. Never had he wanted to experience such a gruesome murder of several men, and he did not wish to see her life snuffed out as well.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:33 AM   #145
dplax
Jack Burton

Living in isolation in the middle of the forest, Esaha had never heard of Rehan the great or his legendary exploits. To her, Rehan was just a young man. A very special young man, for it had been her father's dying wish that she seek him out and ask him for help. She had already found him, but the hard part would be convincing him to help her.

Esaha did not fancy her chances alone in the forest. She did not harbour foolish hopes of the beasts allowing her to leave and take all her knowledge about the woods with her to the outside world. Esaha needed Rehan to help her.

"It was my dying father's last wish that I find you and seek your help in leaving these woods." Her voice was soft, yet in the sudden silence of the woods it carried easily to Rehan. "My father told me that you were the only one who could help me in getting out of here safe." Esaha looked Rehan straight in the eyes, a pleading expression in her own, soft brown eyes.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:12 AM   #146
mistral4543

She tore through the undergrowth of the forest, wincing as nearby thorns clawed at her limbs relentlessly for her unwelcome presence. Behind her, she heard the chorus of agonised screams, a sound she was not likely to forget in a long while.

The images before her eyes were blurry and quavering as her sprint sent her heart racing to a limit yet unreached in all her worldly experiences.

You must get away from here. That was what that young brash soldier had urged her to do, and now she had only herself to blame for the carnage she was fleeing from. Why had she come? What did she hope to achieve from this course of action? All this was lost in the whirlwind of activity around. There was just only time for a moment of repent.

Please forgive me, Father and Mother. And a single tear rolled down her left cheek.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:20 AM   #147
mistral4543

This was not to be borne.

Too many intruders in the forest, and none of them with good intentions. Her icy blue eyes narrowed to slits as she received this piece of news from her feathered spies.

Kill all, she had said, but those I have embargoed. That meant the impudent lad, the magic user and his little chit of a girl. Thinking of the latter two... it had been some time since she heard of any news in his quarter.

"Time to pay a visit." She breathed the words out in a hiss. "Yes, I shall do that right away."

Turning, she motioned for her trusty companion, who stretched its back in readiness for her embarkment. With a growl, the cheetah took off, mistress and animal being a blinding streak across the jungle.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:43 AM   #148
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

Her father's dying wish? Rehan didn't have time to ask her how her father knew about him. His eyes wandered over to the various beasts that had stayed behind to gnaw on the remains of the soldiers. Reaching out suddenly, he grabbed a hold of her arm and mouthed the words for her to play along. The beasts seemed satisfied that he was going to kill her and went back to their meal.

Several minutes later he stopped finally and let go. "I don't know who you are, or why your father thinks I can help you..." He paused as he looked up at her. "You don't understand the evils here... Those beasts earlier would have easily tore you apart as they did to the soldiers." Rehan fell silent as the carnage flashed across his mind.

Before he could say anything else, roars of anger erupted deeper inside the forest where they had just been. Cursing, he grasped her hand and started to run as fast as he could in the direction of Alesbridge. "Hurry! Their mistress isn't far away!" Small beads of perspiration began to slide down his face as they continued at the breakneck pace he had set. Every sound, every disturbance around them caused him to quickly look in that direction only to see nothing. Paranoia that he hadn't felt in a long time started to seep its way into his skin. Have to keep going...

Soon, the clearing of the woods made it self visible, and with it the figure of a young woman running just as desperately. It took Rehan only a moment to realize it was the girl he had pinned to the ground right before the slaughter. They'll be ok together. He thought briefly as he let go of the girl's hand and sent her tumbling out of the forest. Rehan stood at the edge, breathing heavily, tempted to leave with the two females. Safety and comfort was so close, and yet if he left now he knew there would be no going back. How do I know she won't already kill me? Horrible punishments and even death made its way through out his mind, tempting him even more to leave, and yet he continued to stand there.

His decision was decided for him as a large black paw slashed his chest, cutting through his armor and shirt, leaving bloody claw marks across the front of him. Rehan grunted in pain as the bear threw him back against a tree, keeping him high up against it, causing oxygen to slowly slip away. Growling, the bear let go of him just as he was about to lose consciousness. Gripping the back of Rehan's armor with it's fangs, the bear dragged off the rebellious youth to his mistress.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:46 AM   #149
dplax
Jack Burton

Esaha was barely fifteen feet from Rehan when the bear took him down. She watched on in horror as the animal tore Rehan's armor and pinned him agains the tree. I can't leave him here! she thought as one half of her cried out for the freedom outside the woods not two hundred feet away.

The bear didn't manage to take a hundred strides before, with a sudden crunch, Esaha's staff descended on it's head. The bear let go of Rehan and turned to face its assailant. Lifting its right forearm, the beast prepared to give a mighty sweep, but paused momentarily, as it recognised Esaha as one of those whom the mistress embargoed.

That small moment was enough for Esaha to bring down her staff on the bear's head again. Her staff cracked with a loud snap, miniature fissures running down its length. The bear was dazed from the blow and let down its paw by its side.

The third strike with the staff knocked the bear unconscious and splintered the staff into two. Esaha let fall the remainders of her weapon to the ground and knelt down next to Rehan, helping him up into a sitting position.

"We have to get out of here fast. Can you walk?" she asked. She put a hand under one of his shoulders and tried lifting him up.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:22 PM   #150
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

Rehan struggled to stand up. He would have to lean heavily on her to do so, and was afraid of toppling her over. She was stronger than she appeared though; as he thought of the nasty blows she had delivered to the bear just moments ago. Using the bear to push himself up into a crouching position, he leaned against her to stand up and started to sway, almost falling on top of her. She steadied him and they managed to make it back out into the open.

His plan had backfired horribly, and Rehan wasn't sure how to mend it. He had saved the lives of two women, but in doing so broke his pact with the mistress and he knew she would never accept him back. Rehan didn't regret saving their lives, and knew he would have to defeat her in another way. For now though, he just wanted to make it back to Alesbridge. Dangers could be found outside the forest as well and both of them were in no shape to fight now.

"I'm Rehan." The young man offered after a while. He still had no idea who this girl was, or why she was in the forest to begin with. Despite his wounds, his curiosity about her grew as he looked over at her. She appeared to be close in age, and had a gentle disposition, which Rehan found most curious. What was something like her doing in such a death infested forest? She caught him staring at her and he looked away, his gaze focusing on the horizon.

[ 07-19-2006, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Deiter Leafblade ]