Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
Bumbus
Dungeon Master

Smiley Acceptable behavior…?

I am just wondering if it is annoying or bothersome to anyone when I come here and respond to or comment in a bunch of posts; when I look at the board I see that I have the last response to a bunch of them. I assume there are not too many people here right now and I am guessing at least some of my responses or comments will get a response, but the fact is I do not visit that often and even when I do I usually do not have this much time to..waste (not that I mean that coming here is a waste of my time, I just do not have a lot of free personal time), and apparently I have had quite a bit to say today.

The other problem is I cannot be sure when I will be back, so I cannot say I will respond to what is posted or commented on soon, or even at all. I often do look for the posts I have comment in when I come back, but when they are days or even weeks since someone has responded to it, I feel like it is too late to bring the post all the way back to the first page.

Someone has commented on the fact that I have been a member for a few years and only have about 70 posts.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Default Re: Acceptable behavior…?

Who cares how many posts you have? Sounds to me like you've got a life away from the keyboard. That's a good thing, right? If there's an older thread you don't want to resurrect, but have a question about that subject, maybe start a new thread with "in this other thread we were talking about xxx, but I still have a question:" or something like that.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

That was my comment, but I think you know that's just a way of saying, we'd like to see you (or at least your posts) more often!
Old 01-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Post count? Who cares. Good comments, always welcome. Sometimes the thread is drying up, and the last post could be of interest, but IW's have already moved along.

However, most importantly, if you don't have anything to do, don't do it here!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Our community is always awake and active since it's world-wide. Some people are here every day and some are occasional or infrequent like yourself. We're used to it by now. What you'll have to do is track your posts like selecting the option on our software that sends an e-mail to let you know somebody's responded to your thread called Thread Subscription Mode. For threads that you do not start, you'll have to just save those links in a folder so that you can come back and find them to see if somebody reacted to something you said.

One thing I should mention. If you ask a question in one thread, try not to duplicate that same question in another thread as you'll have to then chase around between two threads for answers and the rest of us cannot see what others have already advised on.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Bumbus, bookmark your threads, and answer them whenever you get back. No matter how long it takes.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
Stratos
Vampire

I don't see the problem. As long as you're not resurrecting ancient threads for no apparent purpose.

As for the last posts, that sometimes happens to me too. You make a great post but no one comments on it. That's kind of like telling a great joke when everyone have already left the room.

Last edited by Stratos; 01-21-2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Wonders if this will be the last post of the thread...
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I wouldn't take not getting any reply after your post as anything meaningful. There are lots of times I visit here, and read something I find interesting, but I never post a dang thing. I do a lot of reading, appreciating and sometimes disagreeing, on this forum, but never post any comment or reply. You probably get more thought to your posts than you think Bumbus I bet.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbus View Post
I am just wondering if it is annoying or bothersome to anyone when I come here and respond to or comment in a bunch of posts; when I look at the board I see that I have the last response to a bunch of them. I assume there are not too many people here right now and I am guessing at least some of my responses or comments will get a response, but the fact is I do not visit that often and even when I do I usually do not have this much time to..waste (not that I mean that coming here is a waste of my time, I just do not have a lot of free personal time), and apparently I have had quite a bit to say today.

The other problem is I cannot be sure when I will be back, so I cannot say I will respond to what is posted or commented on soon, or even at all. I often do look for the posts I have comment in when I come back, but when they are days or even weeks since someone has responded to it, I feel like it is too late to bring the post all the way back to the first page.

Someone has commented on the fact that I have been a member for a few years and only have about 70 posts.
I used to be a regular here myself, Bumbus, and make a number of posts everyday. I honostly couldn't imagine going a day without seeing what was happening on IW. The forum was incredibly active back then. It was not uncommon for a hot thread to behave almost like a real-time chat because member would respond so fast. There was a time when I could count on see new posts on the forum at least every 10-15 minutes and sometimes much sooner than that.

As time went on, I became inactive here for different reasons and ended up staying away for almost 3 years. It was nice to still see several familiar names when I returned (as well as many new ones), but the forum definitely is NOT the same as it was when I first joined. Now it seems hard to find more than 1 or 2 threads that catch my interest and the board simply is not as active as it was before, for whatever reason.

I don't think anyone minds you visiting infrequently to post your thoughts. That actually seems to be more the norm now, except for a few dedicated members. Of course, it also depends on the areas you visit. I only visit General Discussion and Current Events because I like a lively discussion. I used to play BG2 a lot (which brought me here in the first place), but now I play NWN online and spend a lot of my time at the forum for the server I play on. I don't check the gaming or entertainment threads (except on very rare occasions) because that isn't what interests me. Maybe those areas are more active now, I couldn't say.

Anyway, the point is that we're always glad to have thoughts and opinions from everyone, whether they post every day, every week or just every now and then.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:07 AM   #10
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyzekke View Post
I wouldn't take not getting any reply after your post as anything meaningful. There are lots of times I visit here, and read something I find interesting, but I never post a dang thing. I do a lot of reading, appreciating and sometimes disagreeing, on this forum, but never post any comment or reply. You probably get more thought to your posts than you think Bumbus I bet.
What she said ... I read most posts but rarely comment on them these days, a far cry from days of old

Unless it's a Stratos post ... then everybody on IW makes a pact to totally ignore it and never post on that thread again ....

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote